Post cure unit confusion. Newbie!

K

keroassidy

Reaction score
So we have our Asiga Max all set up and ready to print. Finding out the asiga flash cure will only do model and mask material. Zahn is pushing
Otoflash for like 4,000 ish i believe. We want to be able to cure a broad spectrum of materials: models, nightguards, aligners, dentures etc. Currently we have
Keystone materials. I like the Wicked Curebox Plus but seems to be unavailable at this time. so my questions are.

1. Do I need a unit with nitrogen cure?

2. Can I use Formcure for asiga and keystone materials? not gonna lie price is great on this one.

3. Are there other cure units I am not aware of the you "guys" have been using.

4. Heat? Is heat needed for all materials or just some? Can we cure without a heated unit?

Thanks for any and all replies!

Last edited:
doug

doug

Reaction score
The Formcure will cure just fine. I can see where using the Nitrogen environment will be an asset.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We were in the same position a year ago with our ASIGA 4K. I wanted that Wicked CureBox but after waiting several months, we just went with the OttoFlash and have Nitrogen hooked up to it. We got ours for much less than 4K through Whip mix(our Asiga reseller). Ottoflash seems to be the gold standard in curing units with a price to match.

K

keroassidy

Reaction score
We were in the same position a year ago with our ASIGA 4K. I wanted that Wicked CureBox but after waiting several months, we just went with the OttoFlash and have Nitrogen hooked up to it. We got ours for much less than 4K through Whip mix(our Asiga reseller). Ottoflash seems to be the gold standard in curing units with a price to match.

What is the benefit of nitrogen during cure?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
What is the benefit of nitrogen during cure?
For inter oral devices, if you don't cure in an inert environment, oxidation can occur during the curing process which can cause a bad taste for the patient. This is what I was told. I didn't do much investigating on my own about it, but it made sense a the time.

K

keroassidy

Reaction score
For inter oral devices, if you don't cure in an inert environment, oxidation can occur during the curing process which can cause a bad taste for the patient. This is what I was told. I didn't do much investigating on my own about it, but it made sense a the time.
Thanks!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I went and asked this question on the Asiga Experts FB group page. First answer I got back was better than mine. An oxidation layer does occur if you cure in a non inert environment. This layer prevents the complete curing of the resin. Uncured resin is toxic. Much better reason than "bad taste" but I assume toxic resin tastes bad too.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
The otoflash is SO FAST compared to the Formlabs cure light. As an example- the same material in Formlabs cure light = 40 minutes of cure time IS ONLY 6 minutes in the Otoflash. The new ProCure from Sprintray is also very fast too.

I've never experimented but the otoflash curing trays come in two forms for filtering out some spectrum of the UVB. I can only imagine this helps with clarity in nightguards but thats just a guess.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
cure it in small tub of glycerine, acts as an O2 barrier

this works very well.. check the times Ackuretta Curie you can update materials with a usb

Last edited:
JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Ive seen some about curing in glycerine.
Thanks for info! Will def look into it.
I warm the glycerin to the temp required in the microwave before I add my print, got a cheap fast read thermometer for the job. Half the cure is light half is heat is what I've been told. Honestly I don't know all the science behind curing, but I would expect I would rather cure it longer to make sure it is fully cured as deeply as possible.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Sprintray Procure 2 is a beast. As they are semi-open they use most of the well known materials but not all. Dentsply has or is (got an early look from a rep) coming out with their own. Not to sure though on what materials they validated besides their own. You got to do a Venn diagram of your resins and cureboxes and see which ones land in the middle. They way it is going with new resins coming out future proof-ing is very difficult.

G

genesis1

Reaction score
You can find the Otoflash for around $2700.00 if you look around online. It’s really small and overpriced like everything dental.

C

Chad Gardner

Reaction score
Been studying this for 2 years at a university. So far we’ve found nitrogen and glycerine are not required. Glycerine has been shown to weaken the prints and the nitrogen has little effect but it is measurable on the outer layers only, which are usually polished away.
The “best” most complete cure for a permanent biocompatible resin is 60° for 120min or 80° for 90 min in a FormCure, polish and finish, then an Otoflash for 1-2k flashes or FormCure for 20 min at 80°. Some newer polyurethane based resins over cured so this is just for PMMA based resins (Bego & Flexcera to be specific)

But in the real world the differences were not that great between the 2 different curing systems. Pick one or the other based on your budget, with the FormCure being the slowest & most affordable, but slightly better of the two in terms of full polymerization. HAVE to do post polishing curing, even with nitrogen added and recommended to increase the cure times over the amounts from the manufacturers.
They gave the fastest cure times to reach acceptable FDA polymerization rates to sell their resins, but you won’t reach the full strengths they advertise without the extended cure times it seems.

doug

doug

Reaction score
So are those temps in Fahrenheit or Celcius? I have seen people on here say that they just put their models outside in the sun to get the curing done.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Funny how dentists think digital dentures are going to be a fraction of analog, yet manufacturers continue to push multi-grand equipment that you'll need.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Funny how dentists think digital dentures are going to be a fraction of analog, yet manufacturers continue to push multi-grand equipment that you'll need.
Same with C&B stuff. I have managed to keep the fees up against all of the people who think material cost is the only aspect in crown fees. This is not a hobby

C

Chad Gardner

Reaction score
Henry Schein etc are pushing 3D printed crowns as the replacement for a CEREC or lab and dentists are buying it hook line and sinker.
I did the first documented case of Bego veneers on a lady 48 hours before her daughter’s wedding and they lasted for 9 months before debonding.
I “developed” the process with my CDT wife as a quick way to get a smile enhancement, preview ceramic veneers and post-ortho demineralization and spots on kids bc I didn’t want to cut their teeth down at 15-17y/o.
Now they’re being exploited. You guys can make them look like eMax, as my wife has. But the look is very temporary, as in 6-12 months unless the occlusion is perfect. I have some that are 3 years old but very few. It’s a fad that will work itself out with time. I promise

doug

doug

Reaction score
OH LOOK! It's got an SD card reader. What exactly is this supposed to do to improve my models?

Top Bottom