Porosity!

Mona Lobsey

Mona Lobsey

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what could be the reason behind this?? image.jpeg

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am assuming press, what material? I have been told to never do 3 units unless they are lower mandibular, and small.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
id say not enough material.

ter01475

ter01475

Reaction score
Your liquid is contaminated and the drying time was to short to get rid of it...check your liquid...I'm guessing someone used stain liquid .

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Assuming e.max press, if the pits are sharp, investment breakdown (i.e. chips of investment throughout ceramic). If the pits are round, think vacuum fail, too long or too hot burn out, insufficient material for press.

Paging Patrick Coon!

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Looking at the photo I see investment down in the "porosities" an this tells me it is not true Porosity. As Gru wrote it is some sort of investment breakdown. To help avoid this I would look at the following.

1. Investment: check your powder and liquid - make sure they are not expired, and there are no crystals/debris in the bottom of the investment bottle or measuring vial. Follow the manufacturer's directions precisely for mixing ratios/total liquid; mixing, setting, and burnout times.

2. Debubblizer: if you are using it, use one that is not soap based and dry all liquid from the restoration and sprue base/ring system as this extra liquid will mix with the investment and weaken it at the surface of the restoration. This will cause investment to break off and mix with the press material.

3. Wax pattern/Sprueing: NO SHARP CORNERS! Make sure the sprue attachment point to both the base and restoration are smooth and slightly flared and there are no really fine anatomy that will break during the pressing process. These very fine corners will break and become mixed into your press material.

4. If you are using a CAD/CAM process and either milling or, in particular, printing your patterns, many of these materials have a high resin content. These resins tend to expand quickly before melting and crack or breakdown the investment, which then again gets mixed with your press materials. If using a printed pattern, I always recommend a two stage burnout from room temperature. This will soften the material more slowly and it will prevent the rapid expansion that is so damaging.

I hope these tips help!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Looking at the photo I see investment down in the "porosities" an this tells me it is not true Porosity. As Gru wrote it is some sort of investment breakdown. To help avoid this I would look at the following.

1. Investment: check your powder and liquid - make sure they are not expired, and there are no crystals/debris in the bottom of the investment bottle or measuring vial. Follow the manufacturer's directions precisely for mixing ratios/total liquid; mixing, setting, and burnout times.

2. Debubblizer: if you are using it, use one that is not soap based and dry all liquid from the restoration and sprue base/ring system as this extra liquid will mix with the investment and weaken it at the surface of the restoration. This will cause investment to break off and mix with the press material.

3. Wax pattern/Sprueing: NO SHARP CORNERS! Make sure the sprue attachment point to both the base and restoration are smooth and slightly flared and there are no really fine anatomy that will break during the pressing process. These very fine corners will break and become mixed into your press material.

4. If you are using a CAD/CAM process and either milling or, in particular, printing your patterns, many of these materials have a high resin content. These resins tend to expand quickly before melting and crack or breakdown the investment, which then again gets mixed with your press materials. If using a printed pattern, I always recommend a two stage burnout from room temperature. This will soften the material more slowly and it will prevent the rapid expansion that is so damaging.

I hope these tips help!
Nice, but what about the worms and aliens? Hmmmm?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Nice, but what about the worms and aliens? Hmmmm?

Sorry, I forgot one.

5. Alien worms. These alien worms called "Dilisicaus Lithiratum" exist by eating Lithium Disilicate Crystals and leave behind investment like material. So you may need to call the Men in Black to remove this infestation.

:D

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot one.

5. Alien worms. These alien worms called "Dilisicaus Lithiratum" exist by eating Lithium Disilicate Crystals and leave behind investment like material. So you may need to call the Men in Black to remove this infestation.

:D
You're a good sport Patrick!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If it's any consolation Mona,
yesterday .while the pt was in the chair next door,I put the emax crowns on a glaze cycle for Zirconia.:eek:

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
If it's any consolation Mona,
yesterday .while the pt was in the chair next door,I put the emax crowns on a glaze cycle for Zirconia.:eek:
BangheadBangheadBangheadBangheadBangheadBanghead
I hate when that happens.