Porcelainizing abutments

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
My Doctor wants me to porcelainize an abutment. She heard about it in a lecture. Anyone has an idea what this would be and how to do it?

doug

doug

Reaction score
I'm gonna jump in here and say that I think she may have seen an abutment that had composite opaque applied to it. Mike Dominguez was the person I learned about it from. It's a nice option and an up-sell to the doc since you have more time and material in it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
My Doctor wants me to porcelainize an abutment. She heard about it in a lecture. Anyone has an idea what this would be and how to do it?
She could mean to put porcelain directly to the abutment below the margin, but above the interface to hide the shiny titanium when it's a badly placed implant whih shows the margin to interface region. Were you not given anything more than "Can you porcelainize interfaces" when y'all talked?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Fired/glazed porcelain sub gingival is no bueno. You are better off to use polished zirconia on a TI base. Better soft tissue response.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
No she refers to the tooth colored cementable area. I know about opaqing it, and also have seen firing opaque to a titanium abutment, but I think the interface oxidizes and it will effect the fit. I read somewhere that some manufacturers refer to a nitrile coating as a porcelain coating for some unexplained reason, but it is still gold colored. So, if no one has a better idea, I will use Gradia opaque and metal primer.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
No she refers to the tooth colored cementable area. I know about opaqing it, and also have seen firing opaque to a titanium abutment, but I think the interface oxidizes and it will effect the fit. I read somewhere that some manufacturers refer to a nitrile coating as a porcelain coating for some unexplained reason, but it is still gold colored. So, if no one has a better idea, I will use Gradia opaque and metal primer.
might seem like a dumb question....or two
1. why not use Ti base and zirc abutment if you want tooth colored?
or
2. use a colored cement if you want to block it out. Ivoclar makes some, i am certain others do too.

most importantly, tell the Dr to stop making you work extra for dumb crap that makes no sense. logic and reason seems to have left the practice side of things and unless we start putting it back there no one will. they sure as sh*t dont teach it in dental school

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Fired/glazed porcelain sub gingival is no bueno. You are better off to use polished zirconia on a TI base. Better soft tissue response.
Totally agree, I was saying sub-marginal. Not sub gingival. Had seen a few where the OS either picked a too long implant and couldn't take it deeper, or there was more recession than planned around, or just didn't take it deep enough for whatever reason anyway and left it high enough to show abutment.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
might seem like a dumb question....or two
1. why not use Ti base and zirc abutment if you want tooth colored?
or
2. use a colored cement if you want to block it out. Ivoclar makes some, i am certain others do too.

most importantly, tell the Dr to stop making you work extra for dumb crap that makes no sense. logic and reason seems to have left the practice side of things and unless we start putting it back there no one will. they sure as sh*t dont teach it in dental school
Last paragraph sums it up well

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Totally agree, I was saying sub-marginal. Not sub gingival. Had seen a few where the OS either picked a too long implant and couldn't take it deeper, or there was more recession than planned around, or just didn't take it deep enough for whatever reason anyway and left it high enough to show abutment.
I saw that back in the '90s. It was a kludge because there were no other options.
I wouldn't go that route, personally.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
yes in the 90 s with opaker on the whole surface and labial side with shoulder porcelain and so on and on never ending story but now we have 2017

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I saw that back in the '90s. It was a kludge because there were no other options.
I wouldn't go that route, personally.
What's a "kludge"? I like the sound of it and I'd like to know how to use it properly. Good word.

Edit: I googled it, it's a cobbbled together half-assed solution.

Last edited:
RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Maybe what she saw was a cast- to abutment, cast out of whatever alloy you use for PFM's, opaqued, and layered lightly with porcelain, for an all ceramic crown to be seated over. Very simple to do.
opaque-porcelain-abutment.jpg

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Maybe what she saw was a cast- to abutment, cast out of whatever alloy you use for PFM's, opaqued, and layered lightly with porcelain, for an all ceramic crown to be seated over. Very simple to do.
I wouldn't want that imbedded in my gingiva.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
What's a "kludge"? I like the sound of it and I'd like to know how to use it properly. Good word.

Edit: I googled it, it's a cobbbled together half-assed solution.
well, we are cobblers!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
dont be silly, she wants it "porcelainized"
duh
:rolleyes:

O

oralook

Reaction score
But if you anodized the ti base you can color like yellow for example. Or you can do 2 colors pink in the conexion and gold in the cement area .

Enviado do meu GT-I9505 através de Tapatalk