Porcelain Fused Zirconia

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
we still do PFZ, but charge appropriately for that labor.
so, most often clients request full contour. especially for posteriors or multi unit anterior cases.
I find single unit central or single lateral+central challenging for shade matching and best with PFZ.
Also I find that getting an accurate B1 shade in FCZ a challenge. The A's, B2+.., C2+.. FCZ are the easiest for accurate FCZ shades.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
We used to do PFZ for most of our anteriors. But with the advent of esthetic Zrs like Katana UT (which looks REALLY nice),we've doing doing less and less over the last year. We've actually seen quite the decline in porcelain all around over the last year.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I find single unit central or single lateral+central challenging for shade matching and best with PFZ.
Also I find that getting an accurate B1 shade in FCZ a challenge. The A's, B2+.., C2+.. FCZ are the easiest for accurate FCZ shades.
any single anteriors are tricky. layered or not.
havent had issues with hitting B1 with fcz...but the bleach shades like 0M1/2 are tricky. doing one now in fact (posterior fcz bridge)

user name

user name

Reaction score
any single anteriors are tricky. layered or not.
havent had issues with hitting B1 with fcz...but the bleach shades like 0M1/2 are tricky. doing one now in fact (posterior fcz bridge)
Have you tried the Katana NW?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
show me a 4m1 with an OE3 opalescence in fcz

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Have you tried the Katana NW?
i have not yet. havent actually tried katana in my own hands since ive been milling zirc. wasnt blown away with it when others were handling it for me.
mainly i need to have more free time to play with a dozen zircs and liquids. lol

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
show me a 4m1 with an OE3 opalescence in fcz
can be done im sure. not by my hands YET lol
but im certain someone can figure that out. if not yet, it will be here!

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
i have not yet. havent actually tried katana in my own hands since ive been milling zirc. wasnt blown away with it when others were handling it for me.
mainly i need to have more free time to play with a dozen zircs and liquids. lol
IMO, the normal Katana Multi-Layer is just your standard run-of-the mill (pun intended) ML zr. But we do a large amount of Katana STML and UT. I like the STML for posteriors and over prepped anteriors. The UT is awesome for anteriors.

user name

user name

Reaction score
What are you using for your bleachy case? Ive had nice results with Changs Aurora Lite on some, but I called IDS CAD to order a puck for a tall implant case, and the product has been temporarily pulled. :(

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
How are you guys marketing your self and your work.?
Why should a Dr send to you and not somebody down the road that does same as you but for $ 10 dollars cheaper ?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
When I read threads like this and the other on about price I see everybody selling the exact same thing but with a different label and IMO it all ends up at the bottom
If its easy to get work and your earning a high personal income than ignore all I said.

th.jpg

th1.jpg
untitled1.png

untitled2.png
untitled3.png

Last edited:
CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
You should change your screen name to Thomas you non-believer..... @Al.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
OHHHHHHH wait you said Thomas
I posted Judas !!!!!
Haaaa Ill leave it up for all the gay techs

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
What are you using for your bleachy case? Ive had nice results with Changs Aurora Lite on some, but I called IDS CAD to order a puck for a tall implant case, and the product has been temporarily pulled. :(
im still using vericore. comes out decent. just not spot on. and cubex liquids still. not trying to fix something thats not broken!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
How are you guys marketing your self and your work.?
Why should a Dr send to you and not somebody down the road that does same as you but for $ 10 dollars cheaper ?
man, thats the million dollar question that you have solved for yourself already! you and i spoke awhile back and i have been doing what you told me to do....but sadly not as often as i should. why? apparantly people enjoy my work enough that i have been blessed to be super busy.
as far as the $10/crown cheaper crowd....sometimes we just let those guys stay with their labs...other times we offer to match that price for a few cases. 95% of the time or better they see the difference and have no issues paying the extra few bucks.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
When I read threads like this and the other on about price I see everybody selling the exact same thing but with a different label and IMO it all ends up at the bottom
If its easy to get work and your earning a high personal income than ignore all I said.
its not "easy" to get work at the prices i should be charging. i also dont have a high personal income. i am challenging myself and my business to get there....open to all suggestions and have implemented some of yours already! very open to more, as most are. we want to be where you are, @Al.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
sorry pdc once you go thru the glaze on emax its worse than zi it gets rough and holds all kinds of bugs.also consider the glaze for emax is quite similar to the glaze for zi and a lot of techs use the same glaze for both.

Maybe we need a couple of side by side macro photo shots. If the emax if being fired correctly then there shouldn't be any porosity. I routinely rubber wheel and polish my anterior units with no "porosity" issues. There are many photos in the Restorations du Jour thread by Al who also uses this technique and they all have a beautiful surface appearance.

Top Bottom