Porcelain Furnace

P

PDL

Reaction score
Started my own lab about X months ago, I've been outsourcing my porcelain to another lab. I'm looking to buy a porcelain furnace real soon. Not really sure what to get, I was going for cheap but want something that's good also. I'm not sure what porcelain I am going to use either was planning on using Ceramco 3. Anyway the questions I am looking to get answered here is should I get a whip mix pro 100 or something ells? And if I am planning on doing pressing Emax/Empress eventually should I just start out getting the pro press 100? Or does Emax/Empress not work with pro press 100? Any tips on which type of porcelain is good to start with and a good learning program you would recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Well, first off you couldn't force me to use a Dentsply (ceramco 3) product at this current time. So pick a different porcelain.....look into Noritake or Inline ........as for ovens, might as well buy something you can do pressings and porcelain in. My whip mix pro press 100 works great with all ivoclar products, actually i'm real happy with the pressings the most.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Started my own lab about 7 months ago, I've been outsourcing my porcelain to another lab. I'm looking to buy a porcelain furnace real soon. Not really sure what to get, I was going for cheap but want something that's good also. I'm not sure what porcelain I am going to use either was planning on using Ceramco 3. Anyway the questions I am looking to get answered here is should I get a whip mix pro 100 or something ells? And if I am planning on doing pressing Emax/Empress eventually should I just start out getting the pro press 100? Or does Emax/Empress not work with pro press 100? Any tips on which type of porcelain is good to start with and a good learning program you would recommend would be greatly appreciated.
PDL, I have 2 Ney furnaces Ive been using trouble free for 15 yrs. Last week one of them started chirping and the lcd panel quit working and I cant read it anymore so I ordered a new one. The Ney press and ceramic firing combo the QEX. It came in yesterday. Im going to use it for firing porc and as a back up furnace if my other pressing furnace gives me trouble. I paid $4500 with a vacumn pump.
Years ago I swore I would never again use a furnace that had a tray that raised into the muffle. After a few yrs they dont move up as steady and vibrate my buildups. Ill only buy furnaces that the muffle lowers on to the crown platform. That pro 100 is a good deal though and has a good reputation.
Like labguy says get a combo press/firing furnace.
I never liked ceramco porc. I use Inline. It gives me every color imaginable and shade guides to match.
Your looking for a learning program to build porc? There is probablly some stuff on dvd.
I have a really productive 5 powder build up I use. It takes me about 7 min per build up. And the crns come out very natural looking. Ive got a bunch of pics of it. Ill post a thread on my buildup technique this weekend. Its made me a ton of money compared to the way I used to build porc and it has made it easy for me to pickup and keep clients.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
NEY....have five q-50s and one is about ten years old.

P

PDL

Reaction score
Well thanks for the comments. That is a good point about the tray moving i didn't think about that. I'm a total newbie when it comes to ceramics. I'm looking for any Dvd program you would recommend and ill be sure to check out your post this weekend AL. Whats your pressing furnace you are currently using? and do you press empress/emax with it? *** do you press emax/empress with any of your Q50s?

Harris discount supply has a Ney Cerampress QEX for $3400 not sure if it comes with pump or not.

Inline system good like most ivoclar stuff i know the lab I work for does there inline POM but use the d.sign for there pfms

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Well thanks for the comments. That is a good point about the tray moving i didn't think about that. I'm a total newbie when it comes to ceramics. I'm looking for any Dvd program you would recommend and ill be sure to check out your post this weekend AL. Whats your pressing furnace you are currently using? and do you press empress/emax with it? *** do you press emax/empress with any of your Q50s?

Harris discount supply has a Ney Cerampress QEX for $3400 not sure if it comes with pump or not.

Inline system good like most ivoclar stuff i know the lab I work for does there inline POM but use the d.sign for there pfms
$3400???????????????? Thats a good price. Ck to see if that is the 09 price, My Zahn cat. said it was $4000 with a pump but they went up $500 after the new year. The pumps are around $500-600.
No the Q50 is firing only, I have that one and the Q100. The Q100 has been replaced with the QEX. For strictly firing it is worth the $600 extra for the upgrade from the Q50 to the QEX.

D.sign is not the best porc to learn on, it is technique sensitive. It requires alot of bakes at least it did for me.

I use Ivoclars pressing furnace. I also use it to fire my all ceramic crowns with, I like to fire pfms in a seperate furnace to keep the metal oxides out of it. I also like to degass my metal in a seperate furnace. All that is not necessary you can do it all with just one furnace, but when you buy a new furnace keep using the other one for a seperate chore like degassing or glazing etc. so it dosent sit idle.

I had a Jelenco Flagship and Admiral porc furnace. They are both long gone. But after a while I could not get the very slight vibration out of the tray when it went up. It was ok most of the time, but those crowns that were on a balancing act on the tray sometimes would fall off their peg. Ive had a few fall off and get crushed when the muffle closed on them. The program would abort because it would not close all the way.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have a 1960s Unitek oven that still works! (it won't quit)
Make an offer (LOL)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
My first furnace was a hubbert watercooled furnace. I bought it used but it didnt last long because it sprung a leak.

Then I got a Jelenko manual furnace, it had a crank on the side that every couple of minutes you would turn it a couple of times till you got the tray in to the mufffle.

Unitek was a top of the line furnace.

P

PDL

Reaction score
got my furnace @ Harris discount supply Ney Cerampress QEX for $3607 w/ pump and shipping ordered it today wooo :)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
got my furnace @ Harris discount supply Ney Cerampress QEX for $3607 w/ pump and shipping ordered it today wooo :)
I hate you, I got ripped off, $4500 from Zahn. Ill never never do that again:(
I used mine last week. It is very nice, and easy to use. PM me if you have any problems setting it up or with the programs.
Thats a $900 difference in price.:mad:

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
When I went into metalceramics i bought a Pro 90. still runs ten years and a major relocation later. The Pro 100 is a good recommendation, a real reliable workhorse. For porcelain I went with Shofu Vintage Halo. Never regretted it.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
MIKE.........PLEASE BAN NORMA......IT"S A ADVERTISEMENT BOT

C

charles007

Reaction score
Before you ban Norma, how about a little water boarding first.....

L

labdude

Reaction score
Norma is a bot huh? I did delete a couple of strange posts earlier,now the rest. She (it) has a pm to respond to, then......I will "bond" in a special way.
Thanks Rob and Charles for the heads up!
Mike.

ArmDent

ArmDent

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone I learn a lot from your old post & comments.
I'm also lookin for a new furnace and I would like to try and switch to new ceramics.

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
I use Ney And Whip mix ovens. May want to consider Solara porcelain, has worked well for me. PS, I use Ceramco3 opaque, underneath the solara. If you do decide on Solara, buy a bottle of their super clear, and mix some into your Dentin and a tiny bit into their incisal. Get nice results at a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

bdwalsh3

Reaction score
I have a question that I've never even though about until now!!!... Should I be turning porcelain oven off every night? No press, just a Ivoclar Programat CS, we have an old NEY as a back up that stays off until needed. Thanks in advance.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
I have a question that I've never even though about until now!!!... Should I be turning porcelain oven off every night? No press, just a Ivoclar Programat CS, we have an old NEY as a back up that stays off until needed. Thanks in advance.
Night mode on the furnace? The old ney we have we leave on too. We just turn it down to about 500 degrees before we leave. We mainly use it to just dry out old crowns and dry the glaze before we fire.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

FrontHunter

FrontHunter

Reaction score
I just had a pro 100 die on me. does anyone have a pro 100 for parts, or something similar that works that could replace it, they would be willing to sell.