Porcelain facing zirconia

Cdtflb

Cdtflb

Reaction score
I'd love to know how everyone here designs their porcelain facing crowns especially for anteriors. If I had it my way I'd add mamelon grooves and make slightly shorter than the final restoration and NOT have the contacts in zirconia. (Such a pet peeve of mine) the point of having porcelain is to make more esthetic for the passed 3 years in the last job and this current one, they have me just "cutting off" the facial aspect. All completely flat contacts in zirconia and the full zirconia lingual margin line is extended all the way to the incisal edge. On top of that a majority of the designs I see (I refuse) will just have the zirconia meet at a knife like edge at the incisal. What are ya'lls thoughts?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Micro layering with MIYO structure is the way to go.
Why cut back? just shrink the incisal in the design stage if you want to go there.

Cdtflb

Cdtflb

Reaction score
Exactly this too! We'd do this at the first lab I worked at and it was the way to go. Easy peasy.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
smarty party less fractures.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I'd love to know how everyone here designs their porcelain facing crowns especially for anteriors. If I had it my way I'd add mamelon grooves and make slightly shorter than the final restoration and NOT have the contacts in zirconia. (Such a pet peeve of mine) the point of having porcelain is to make more esthetic for the passed 3 years in the last job and this current one, they have me just "cutting off" the facial aspect. All completely flat contacts in zirconia and the full zirconia lingual margin line is extended all the way to the incisal edge. On top of that a majority of the designs I see (I refuse) will just have the zirconia meet at a knife like edge at the incisal. What are ya'lls thoughts?
As mentioned above, with today's multi layered Zirconias, micro layering is your friend, Especially in combination with Ivocolor, MIYO or similar staining kits.

We also got away form full coverage zirconia crowns due to chipping, hence the the protective design for the incisal edge. In general, I keep all the functional areas in polished full zirconia. But if you layer the incisal edge, make sure you adjust the lateral and protrusive movements perfectly!

And I hate to admit, monolithic, nicely stained anteriors many times look just fine.

L

Lindsay Patterson

Reaction score
Micro layering with MIYO structure is the way to go.
Why cut back? just shrink the incisal in the design stage if you want to go there.
Would you be willing to show me or just quickly explain how your doing the incisal in MIYO structure?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Would you be willing to show me or just quickly explain how your doing the incisal in MIYO structure?
I would use clear or enamel structure.
Basically the same way a natural tooth would show.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
If I had it my way I would leave contacts to be stacked in porcelain and I would put my cutback line 1-2mm down the lingual and it wouldn't be a straight across line so that it doesn't reflect light poorly. I am not a ceramist buy my early training was that ceramics have an ideal thickness and being thinner or thicker can cause it to become weaker and my understanding was that porcelain is strongest in the 1-2mm range so that is what I would prefer to cut back. In my experience that would give the best structure for a highly esthetic and strong result.

That said everyone seems to want to do micro layering or no layering so I do what I have to. I always encourage people on single anterior that are going to be layered at all to have the contacts cut back so that light can pass through

*edit, so that light can pass through the porcelain and increase the chances of matching natural adjacent teeth

L

Lindsay Patterson

Reaction score
Thank you so much:) probably the most helpful responses I've ever got here. I really appreciate the help! Thank you thank you thank you

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I typically in the design phase just bring in the whole tooth a hair and then do a thin layering of incisal over entire surface. I don't do any mamelon design unless asked for because if the patient doesn't like it , well you know the rest of the story.