Porcelain facing zirconia

Cdtflb

Cdtflb

Reaction score
I'd love to know how everyone here designs their porcelain facing crowns especially for anteriors. If I had it my way I'd add mamelon grooves and make slightly shorter than the final restoration and NOT have the contacts in zirconia. (Such a pet peeve of mine) the point of having porcelain is to make more esthetic for the passed 3 years in the last job and this current one, they have me just "cutting off" the facial aspect. All completely flat contacts in zirconia and the full zirconia lingual margin line is extended all the way to the incisal edge. On top of that a majority of the designs I see (I refuse) will just have the zirconia meet at a knife like edge at the incisal. What are ya'lls thoughts?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Micro layering with MIYO structure is the way to go.
Why cut back? just shrink the incisal in the design stage if you want to go there.

Cdtflb

Cdtflb

Reaction score
Exactly this too! We'd do this at the first lab I worked at and it was the way to go. Easy peasy.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
smarty party less fractures.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Reaction score
I'd love to know how everyone here designs their porcelain facing crowns especially for anteriors. If I had it my way I'd add mamelon grooves and make slightly shorter than the final restoration and NOT have the contacts in zirconia. (Such a pet peeve of mine) the point of having porcelain is to make more esthetic for the passed 3 years in the last job and this current one, they have me just "cutting off" the facial aspect. All completely flat contacts in zirconia and the full zirconia lingual margin line is extended all the way to the incisal edge. On top of that a majority of the designs I see (I refuse) will just have the zirconia meet at a knife like edge at the incisal. What are ya'lls thoughts?
As mentioned above, with today's multi layered Zirconias, micro layering is your friend, Especially in combination with Ivocolor, MIYO or similar staining kits.

We also got away form full coverage zirconia crowns due to chipping, hence the the protective design for the incisal edge. In general, I keep all the functional areas in polished full zirconia. But if you layer the incisal edge, make sure you adjust the lateral and protrusive movements perfectly!

And I hate to admit, monolithic, nicely stained anteriors many times look just fine.