porcelain expire?

magushnik

magushnik

Reaction score
Always wanted to try noritake ex-3 just never got around to buying any. I was doing my some digging around for something in the lab when i came across a trial kit that my dad must have gotten back in the day. This stuff looks like it's from the 90's. Dumb question but is it possible to see what the results would look like or am i going to get unrealistic results due to it's age.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Always wanted to try noritake ex-3 just never got around to buying any. I was doing my some digging around for something in the lab when i came across a trial kit that my dad must have gotten back in the day. This stuff looks like it's from the 90's. Dumb question but is it possible to see what the results would look like or am i going to get unrealistic results due to it's age.
My opinion, which isn't worth much, is that porcelain wouldn't change in a hundred years. Unless perhaps Noritake changed their formulation somehow.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Porcelain for the most part is mineral, so it won't expire. The only one that I know of that I wold be concerned with is some of the older Pentron (Jeneric Pentron) porcelains that came with humidor caps, as humidity would affect those porcelains after a while, firing to a low value. I believe OPC Low Wear, and the 3G layering porcelains were in that humidor cap family of porcelains

CRob is right, in that Noritake came out with some improved body colors that more closely match the vita guide. So in that sense, you may want to get a trial kit of the newer version, or at least the bodies.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Again and again...and don't forget it :D

You can use that post in the future for reference, whenever needed :D

G

GarryB

Reaction score
When my dad started out as a tech, he used to use air fired porcelain. One of our dentists retired a couple of years ago and had a clear out of his practice. He found some old air fired porcelain and brought it in.

So, we had a go with it........looked just like lisi over e.max.....not:)

Yes it will be fine to use, just give it a go if only for a bit of comparison.

magushnik

magushnik

Reaction score
yea i just want to give it a fair shot you know. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I've kind of wondered the same question recently, as I picked some vm9 from a local lab (guy) that retired and when I've mixed some of the shades the powder repels liquids and distilled water until I work the powder in. The shades have been fine though. DontknowHmmmm2

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
I've kind of wondered the same question recently, as I picked some vm9 from a local lab (guy) that retired and when I've mixed some of the shades the powder repels liquids and distilled water until I work the powder in. The shades have been fine though. DontknowHmmmm2

I see the same thing in IPS design in powders that are old as they do not get used much ie some of the essence powders. They seem fine once you work the water through them.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
The original ex-3 can look dead, make sure to use any modifiers that you may have with it. Their "newer" version that's been out for quite a few years is ex-3n shades, i.e. nD2, as it will read on the bottles. Other than that ex-3 is an excellent porcelain.

doug

doug

Reaction score
The FDA requires expiration dates, even on a rock.

magushnik

magushnik

Reaction score
The original ex-3 can look dead, make sure to use any modifiers that you may have with it. Their "newer" version that's been out for quite a few years is ex-3n shades, i.e. nD2, as it will read on the bottles. Other than that ex-3 is an excellent porcelain.
Yes, this is the older version for sure. That being said, it's still pretty good.

larsondental

larsondental

Reaction score
Had a guy demand a refund on a kit I sold on Ebay over this issue. The liquids in the kit may be a problem but the porcelain No.

Top Bottom