Porcelain brush care

T

tandob

Reaction score
How do you guys care for your porcelain brushes to optimize performance and longevity? I just got my first expensive brush kit and want to make sure they last.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Which kit did you go for?

T

tandob

Reaction score
I just got the Miyo kit to go with the Miyo starter pack, it has 3 conventional fine tipped brushes, a fan brush and a cylinder shaped brush.

T

tandob

Reaction score
I'm pretty novice. I hated the Henry Shein sable brushes and was burning through them too quickly so I tried these out and actually I found them to be better quality than the Schein ones. I haven't used the Miyo ones yet because I don't want to burn through them too quickly

Attachments

• brushes.JPG
    brushes.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 32
C

charles007

Reaction score
Used expensive brushes since the 80's and always washed with soap to wash out all the different special liquids I use. It brings back life to brushes and gives a sharper point to the brush. Brushes get a shampoo every couple weeks or so as it ages, or whenever my brush looses the sharp point. Can't speak for synthetic, never liked them from day one.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
How do you guys care for your porcelain brushes to optimize performance and longevity? I just got my first expensive brush kit and want to make sure they last.

Not quite sure if you’re asking about a brush for porcelain building, or a brush to play with MiYo? (maybe it’s the
hazy I’m enjoying right now ). That50 pk is more brushes than I’ve gone through in my years.

Last edited:
Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I heard once from the Pros, use a touch of hair gel and spiral to a new brush appearance. Just rinse and repeat. Washes out clean and fast. Keeps hairs in original shape and not in the spazzed out look of a dry used brush. I think it may be from Gerald Ubassy but can't remember for sure, just know it works and a tube will last a looking time.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I cannot tell from the photo, or see from the description, and also am less aware right now as the first cup of coffee is still working it's way into my body.

I want to make sure someone that does know discusses the effect of plastic vs metal ferrules and the dividing line on when metal ferrules are acceptable.

Acidic colorants will react badly with metal ferrules and will need brushes with plastic ones instead. Whereas water based colorants (which I seem to recall are still slightly acidic) are okay with metal ferrules.

I'd say more but the neurons that know what materials are on which side of that line haven't come to work yet today.

Took off Fri and Sat. So I "get" to work Sunday.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I heard once from the Pros, use a touch of hair gel and spiral to a new brush appearance. Just rinse and repeat. Washes out clean and fast. Keeps hairs in original shape and not in the spazzed out look of a dry used brush. I think it may be from Gerald Ubassy but can't remember for sure, just know it works and a tube will last a looking time.
Yes a hint of gel creates a knife edge point to brushes as they age and lose their point. Only a touch ! and remember to washout occasionally because gel will build up in the brush.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I use a spatula for the bulk of my porcelain work and use a brush for finishing touches. This method extends my brushes lifespan.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I just use a bit of glycerin on the brush, that I also use for thinning out miyo glaze pastes.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I use a spatula for the bulk of my porcelain work and use a brush for finishing touches. This method extends my brushes lifespan.

Spatulas are also good as your self condensing the porcelain while you're doing your major build up.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I don't do anything special, besides being careful and not dropping it. I do put it upside down in a cup, when not using it and I put the plastic sleeve on it, that comes with it. I use the 'Renfert - lay:art style' line. Best brushes I have used for layering and they are pretty robust.

Top Bottom