PMMA vs Processed Acrylic Provisional - Longevity

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
So, experience wise, what lasts longer in a real world, long term provisional, situation? I know certain PMMAs are "certified" for long term provisionals. But I often hear that the pts chew them up like there is no tomorrow. Do processed acrylic provisional hold up better?

I don't do too many provisionals, except the ocasional PMMA on bigger implant cases. But, I have a case coming up where I need a provisional that should last up to a year.

What is your experience? And what materials would you use?

Thanks in advance,

M

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Good question, I was thinking about that one during my other post in user names thread.

When you mention the long term PMMA, since you know the Ivoclar products including their Teilo CAD PMMA that I believe is supposed to be able to withstand
a year at ideal thicknesses, but I've never needed one to last past about the 4 - 6 month mark.

Last edited:
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Teilo CAD PMMA
I think you are correct. The Telio CAD PMMA might be one of the more durable ones on the market. I'll investigate further.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
In my experience industrial processed PMMA is much stronger than traditional.
I have milled temp dentures, full arch SR implant temps, full arch on a few preps opposing each other and in different combinations. If you stay away from cantilevers, respect the law of beams, and bulk up thin areas around implant channels it's quite durable.

Three to six months is typical around here while implants finish cooking. Had some have to much last much longer (1-2yrs)due to varied patient circumstances. Have seen some patients wear down the oclussion, but certainly no more than processed. Replacing or amending for any reason is simple since it's a digital design.

For us it's become a pretty versatile material to work out solutions for long term treatment plans. I'm not using any fancy name branded milled pmma. It's a temp, it may need to be replaced during the treatment.

D

dandyfop

Reaction score
The only thing to consider for large cases is that the dentist will not be able to add composite to PMMA if they need to.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The only thing to consider for large cases is that the dentist will not be able to add composite to PMMA if they need to.
Use of a bonding resin will remedy this. Not bullet proof, but we have been using L/C composite bonded to PMMA for temp cylinders for quite a while.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Ivoclar makes SR Connect for this purpose, bonding composite to PMMA.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
Anaxdent has a long-term pmma. I’m snot sure how it compares to Telio CAD though.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
I have a good number of labs & 2 VERY BIG labs using our PMMA for milled dentures with NO issues.
Anyone needing to find a new source give me a call or message me.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
the very best acrylic like ivoclar pressed system is about 80mpa milled polycarbonate is 140 mpa, pmma pucks are about 100mpa 120mpa . i have found the polycarbonate holds up best as it is a bit tougher all round but hey they are plastic so they aint gonna last for ever.