Platinum Foil adaptation

R

rbhsjr

Reaction score
Are there any books, pdfs or videos on foil adaptation to a die? I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Is it a "swager" or "swedger"? Any help would be appreciated!

Rutherford

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
It is a swedger, ultimately it is a base with modeling clay that you seat the die covered in foil after hand adapting then wrap it with plastic(saran wrap) then a clay filled piston that slides in a cylinder and seats around the base. Check Captek's website as we used that one for are foil adaptation.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Ive seen this technique at lectures, only used with a rubber mallett. Can anyone elaborate on this or do we need to buy a specialized gizmo for it?

Currently i would hand adapt then fire a thin layer of porcelain and use the crack technique to adapt the foil better, but the swedger idea looks as though it might lead to better adaption?

With the move towards prepless veneers gradually gaining ground, i need to start looking into my foil technique again. As good as pressed emax is, you cant beat a feldspathic veneer for thinness.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Call Captek for a swedger, they sell them for around 150 dollars I think. Foil is a good method for doing small areas (i.e. porc. margins) but it's a pain in the keester for doing veneers with, especially when you have refractory (feldspathic) and/or pressables (empress esthetic).

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I did a course with Kris Kersten once, in his hand out I think he has instructions of how to make one from a hydrulic jack, just have to drain the fluid and some dissassembly. Maybe someone on here knows how,,, it certainly is a cheaper alternative.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I did a course with Kris Kersten once, in his hand out I think he has instructions of how to make one from a hydrulic jack, just have to drain the fluid and some dissassembly. Maybe someone on here knows how,,, it certainly is a cheaper alternative.

I took that course as well.....Did you try his 3 bean salad recipe?

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I took that course as well.....Did you try his 3 bean salad recipe?

No, I did'nt. Forgot about that, but I just might. Kris is an eccentric, but a very cool guy. Kinda reminds me of Einstein with his mustache, except for the lab. Super Guy. I've got that handout tucked away somewhere, I'll have to dig it up.

You could try that jack mod. I think you might need a double ram, bottle type; rams are nice and shiney looks better suited for the lab environment. Sears $15.00

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Platnum foil PDF.....Enjoy
platniumfoil_dln_1.jpg

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
You could use the hydraulic jack for its double ram, but the swedger is nothing more than a capped cylinder with clay. You would not really need the pedestal but just a mound of clay on a good solid bench. If I could draw it, it would look like a plastic pop cap, but longer. This would have about 2-3 inches of modeling clay inside. Then you take the foil cover prep wrapped in saran wrap and push it in with the pin down. Then you'd have the same size clay filled cap that you'd line up with the other and smack them with a dead blow hammer(Home depot) The one from Captek is just very easy to use, but I know dental techs' are creative so let see what you come up with. I agree with the above post, the first firing then crack it up with swedger again and fill spaces, after that the mg's should stay put. Any correction on mg's were done with low fusing pulled from extra die for verification.

Last edited: