Plastic implant parts.

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to cast and polish the plastic implant parts? How did they turn out? What metal did you use? I tried one with CrCo and couldn't get it to work. There was no way this Dr. would accept the final abutment. Is it even possible to do? Thx, Dave

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to cast and polish the plastic implant parts? How did they turn out? What metal did you use? I tried one with CrCo and couldn't get it to work. There was no way this Dr. would accept the final abutment. Is it even possible to do? Thx, Dave

I used to cast them in Type 4 gold. The other thing you really should have is a spark erosion machine to seat the casting to an analogue. It's the best way, I know of, to fit an implant casting to the abutment. It is expensive though. It is much easier to have them milled from Titanium.

I've attached an article that explains the spark erosion technique.

Attachments

• JDentImplant112-1374108_034901.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
G

grantoz

Reaction score
spark erosion is a word phrase i haven't heard for a while how old are you Patrick. By the way they changed the name of your cheese down under the other day its very sad. Its now named cheer cheese its a terrible name.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
spark erosion is a word phrase i haven't heard for a while how old are you Patrick. By the way they changed the name of your cheese down under the other day its very sad. Its now named cheer cheese its a terrible name.
Yeah, it's been a long while since I've used spark erosion, we actually sold our machine way back in 2004 or 2005. It's just so much easier to cast to a UCLA, mill, or cement to a Ti-Base if you need a custom abutment.

BTW, I'll be 55 in 10 days. Been doing Lab since 1988. Implants since 1990. So, yeah, it's been a minute.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
thats nearly as old as me.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
As stupid as it sounds, I have a friend who casts his custom abutment and glues it to the ti base like a screw retained crown with a ti base. You get the precision fit of ti base and the abutment shape you want, I agree with Pat much easier to get it milled out of Ti as I know my partner lab does them on a Datron mill and has all certificates and guarantee along with manufacturers' final screw. 119$ Why make it difficult, my 2 cents.

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We have used the cemented base ones. Dr. only wants one cement line, not two.

keith goldstein

keith goldstein

Reaction score
I am unsure if this will help you but we have an IFU on how to use the DESS CrCo abutments for casting - here is the link -
Here is a step by step on make a screw retained pfm on a dess tibase -
This is the link to download the PowerPoint Presentation on how to make a screw retained PFM crown cemented to a DESS ti base:

Too bad your doctor is not flexible and placing you in a difficult situation.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
Yeah, it's been a long while since I've used spark erosion, we actually sold our machine way back in 2004 or 2005. It's just so much easier to cast to a UCLA, mill, or cement to a Ti-Base if you need a custom abutment.

BTW, I'll be 55 in 10 days. Been doing Lab since 1988. Implants since 1990. So, yeah, it's been a minute.
You are an old fart, just like me. You know me from Sembach. WM

keith goldstein

keith goldstein

Reaction score
I am glad they are working out for you. DESS developed their own patented design that is both compatible with the OEM screw while combining the best features of both parallel and conical screwdrivers.
1610755166479.png

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Fancy hearing EDM on the forum after such a long time! I loved the machine and did my MS thesis on the topic.
I believe the Europeans/Germans are still using that for telescopic prostheses.
LCM

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
You are an old fart, just like me. You know me from Sembach. WM
Known you a lot longer than that. I remember us meeting at a advanced course at Sheppard a few years before that. Hope things are going well with my friend!

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score

Have a Birthday Patrick!!!