Plaster room setup @home

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Aren't dry trimmers pretty loud though?

I use the keystone peel and stick abrasive to their plastic backing disc. It's not quite, but it's not to bad.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The models have to be perfectly dry don't they?
I grind on them after as little as 45 minutes + time to separate from impression. It's a bit messier as it's heavier and the trimmer wheel needs cleaned more frequently, but it works.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Aren't dry trimmers pretty loud though?

I use the keystone peel and stick abrasive to their plastic backing disc. It's not quite, but it's not to bad.
Never found them to be any louder than a wet trimmer, especially a wet trimmer with an unbalanced wheel. Hear that driving by the lab.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I think the plastic of the keystone system helps to buffer the sound on mine, so maybe the other ones sound louder.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Can you convert a wet trimmer to dry?

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the bowls with paper towels. I've been so spoiled to just mix and rinse the waste stone down the drain.
Time to change my workflow.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
What wheels do you like?
Ray Foster
Dedeco
Renfert
???

I like the Renfert best, but some cut great for a long time, others not so much.
we use buffalo self adhesive disks. peel off one a week or so and start new. also use the RF eraser bar to clean the wheel between trims

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the bowls with paper towels. I've been so spoiled to just mix and rinse the waste stone down the drain.
some of them, i believe so. just depends if theres a port for a vac hose

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score

Don’t turn the water on. I’d suggest a mask.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
some of them, i believe so. just depends if theres a port for a vac hose
I have a Handler which has the drain port and hose below the wheel so I would guess it could be changed to a vac hose.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I have a Handler which has the drain port and hose below the wheel so I would guess it could be changed to a vac hose.
good possibility. im with rob tho, prob disconnect the water :D

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you already got a vertical belt sander w/ a rest, hooked up to a vacuum in yer shop... it works like a charm ;)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you already got a vertical belt sander w/ a rest, hooked up to a vacuum in yer shop... it works like a charm ;)
That's a great idea. I'll give it a try tonight. 80 grit ?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Dry trimmer here is a Ray Foster MTD1 and love it.

Put 2 accumulators in series.

Dry trimmers are designed differently than wet trimmers.

Dry trimmer suction is at the same plane of the trimmer wheel to suck stuff in the direction it is being thrown by the turning of the trimmer wheel.

Wet trimmer is designed to have the interior act as a slanted reservoir type area for the water to be pulled to the deeper end of the pool and the drain is attached to the deepest end of the pool. Like a basement floor with an open drain, the whole floor slants slightly to the drain.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
That's a great idea. I'll give it a try tonight. 80 grit ?
60-80 grit will work... BTW long time ago my place of employ used to have a belt sander in there model room, it even had a router bit on top... I am pretty sure it was dental, forgot what brand it was

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
60-80 grit will work... BTW long time ago my place of employ used to have a belt sander in there model room, it even had a router bit on top... I am pretty sure it was dental, forgot what brand it was
I have an arch trimmer that I'm sure I could convert to a sanding drum. The collett may even hold an arbour band mandrel.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
First lab I worked at had a tabletop band saw. No model trimmer for a couple years .
Never lost a finger!

Top Bottom