piece work

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread to follow.

Piecework vs. hourly rate. Both have their pluses and minuses.

How about a flat salary?

I have worked the same job for 30 years. I started off being paid piecework rates- gold work including all the model work, then I went to hourly wage, gold and porcelain and eventually Empress. For the last eight years I’ve been paid a flat salary. The way compensation was paid and changed was done without my input.

A little background. I’m working in an in-office lab and am currently doing gold work, porcelain, pressed crowns, implant crowns, provisional appliances, whitening trays, bite rims, diagnostic wax up’s, and all the associated model work, casting, investing devesting, plus shipping and receiving, inventory control, and basic fix it person for the office.

Personally, I like being paid a flat salary. Why? . I like paycheck consistency, and therefore in my mind that gives me more paid days off. Currently I work 4 - 10 hour days. And yes I do work the sporadic Friday and Saturday.

On occasion I do send porcelain crowns out to an outside lab, which does pay their technicians by piecework. I have observed mixed results when it comes to quality control. These issues have been discussed, but I can always tell when they get real busy. They also have done some absolutely beautiful work for us.

Those are my thoughts. I definitely do not fit the norm when it comes to job description. And no, I have absolutely no desire to be my own boss!

Carol

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
Some more thoughts regarding piecework and the reclassification of dental technology to unskilled.

My husband, who at times can be cynical, came up with a wonderful idea that maybe the reason for reclassification, was the abuse of piecework and independent contract work. Employees who are classified as unskilled workers, have more protection under the work and time regulations.

U

ultrasport

Reaction score
Let me do some calculations.
Ceramic work at $25.00 per unit doing 16 units a day (typical 8hr day)= $400.00 per day x 5 days = $2000.00 per week x 50 weeks ( 2 weeks for vacation ) = $100,000.00 per year.
Pretty good job.
How many production techs ( not managers) making that ?

I don't question the unit price but I do question the daily unit count.

VincentCeramics

VincentCeramics

Reaction score
Ceramic work at $25.00 per unit... isn't that cheep?

Is that wax caps, working on metal and layering ceramic all together?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Let me do some calculations.
Ceramic work at $25.00 per unit doing 16 units a day (typical 8hr day)= $400.00 per day x 5 days = $2000.00 per week x 50 weeks ( 2 weeks for vacation ) = $100,000.00 per year.
Pretty good job.
How many production techs ( not managers) making that ?

I don't question the unit price but I do question the daily unit count.

PLENTY!

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Some more thoughts regarding piecework and the reclassification of dental technology to unskilled.

My husband, who at times can be cynical, came up with a wonderful idea that maybe the reason for reclassification, was the abuse of piecework and independent contract work. Employees who are classified as unskilled workers, have more protection under the work and time regulations.

The fact of the matter was settled many years ago, but it had nothing to do with this particular ruling. There was a major case with the labor department, and Dental Technicians were ruled as NON-Professional, so they could NOT be hired as contract labor. I think the case was settled in 1996.

Technicinas have ALWAYS been protected by labor laws, and we MUST pay time and half, even if paid by the unit.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
What about a CAD design-comparable to a wax-up? Full contour? Scan?