Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k or Anycubic Mono SE

• Thread starter Jack_the_dentureman
  • Start date
Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
I want to start my adventure with printing.
I realize these are hobbyist printers, but you have to start somewhere.
I will use them just for hobby and learning purposes, but sometimes I will print some wax-up or some demonstration for implants or other stumps.

My biggest question is, is there anyone who can answer me, is phrozen mini 4k better because of the quality of the surface, or Anycubic mono se because of the stability ??

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
A had 4 Phrozen printers, incl. one Sonic, making C&B models for over two years w/o a hiccup. Quality was on par with those $$$ "dental" printers

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
It's funny how some of the dental suppliers are now selling some of these "hobby printers" that were supposedly not good enough for dental.

Your going to have some trial and error and a 3d printing graveyard of failed prints no matter what printer you buy. It's a right of passage. Depends if you want to do the work yourself or just call tech support from one of the larger companies.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
It's funny how some of the dental suppliers are now selling some of these "hobby printers" that were supposedly not good enough for dental.

Your going to have some trial and error and a 3d printing graveyard of failed prints no matter what printer you buy. It's a right of passage. Depends if you want to do the work yourself or just call tech support from one of the larger companies.
A couple of years ago, a company tried selling me a rebranded Anycubic Photon. The only difference was the company's name was on it and the price tag was way higher. I grilled the guy on what the differences were and he couldn't answer. 🤦‍♀️

I picked up a SM4K and it's great for dental models. Implant analogs and dies fit well. The only drawback being the small build plate. But I don't have a ton of work so it's perfect for now.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, a company tried selling me a rebranded Anycubic Photon. The only difference was the company's name was on it and the price tag was way higher. I grilled the guy on what the differences were and he couldn't answer. 🤦‍♀️

I picked up a SM4K and it's great for dental models. Implant analogs and dies fit well. The only drawback being the small build plate. But I don't have a ton of work so it's perfect for now.
You can get sonic mighty for bigger build plate.

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score

May i know your resin ? Is it aqua gray 4k ?

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
May i know your resin ? Is it aqua gray 4k ?
I've been using Anycubic Craftsman in beige. It also comes in grey and apricot. It's not a "dental" resin but works really nicely for models. I've also been using it on my Epax X10 8K with great success.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
I just bought a Phrozen 4K mini that is on its way. I bought it because to my surprise it actually has been validated for Keystones- Key guide, Key soft, Key Hard, Key Model ultra and Key Tray. My ROI will be about a month.

Last edited:
Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
It's a nice little machine, especially for the price. I was thinking of picking up the SM8K. Slightly finer resolution across a larger build plate.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I want to start my adventure with printing.
I realize these are hobbyist printers, but you have to start somewhere.
I will use them just for hobby and learning purposes, but sometimes I will print some wax-up or some demonstration for implants or other stumps.

My biggest question is, is there anyone who can answer me, is phrozen mini 4k better because of the quality of the surface, or Anycubic mono se because of the stability ??
I have a mono X 4K and another 6k both are excellent and inexpensive.

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
I've been using Anycubic Craftsman in beige. It also comes in grey and apricot. It's not a "dental" resin but works really nicely for models. I've also been using it on my Epax X10 8K with great success.
Wowwww, i just bought sonic 4k.
But someone that use phrozen printer said that they cannot print implant model and die model, because the lab analog somehow cannot fit with the hole. I have never tried that, but hearing my friend said that, it makes me wanna buy a real dental printer like sprint ray or nextdent. But after i see your experience now i believe phrozen can do that too, he use sm4k as well, i think maybe the resin setting needs adjustment (?) Idk

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
But someone that use phrozen printer said that they cannot print implant model and die model, because the lab analog somehow cannot fit with the hole. I have never tried that, but hearing my friend said that, it makes me wanna buy a real dental printer like sprint ray or nextdent. But after i see your experience now i believe phrozen can do that too, he use sm4k as well, i think maybe the resin setting needs adjustment (?) Idk

This is off the Epax X10 with the 8K screen. These models are done in Dental Wings, but I prefer B4D for model creating. You can over expose the resin, bloating the print and leaving the dies tight and not fitting the coping. I worked for a while with my SM4K to get the correct fit with this particular resin. I print for my lab and another and everyone is happy with the look and fit. Dental specific printers are a bit easier, more plug and play. If you need help figuring out a non-dental printer, feel free to message or email me : [email protected]
IMG-3278.jpg

J

jcbdmd

Reaction score
You can over expose the resin, bloating the print and leaving the dies tight and not fitting the coping.
Interesting, so do you have any tips for how to figure out if you need extra curing and how much in post processing. I never thought about "over-curing" as I regularly put my surgical guides in and walk away for awhile... and yes sometimes they are tight.

I was thinking 100% polymerization was the goal, but maybe these companies validate to something less...

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
Interesting, so do you have any tips for how to figure out if you need extra curing and how much in post processing. I never thought about "over-curing" as I regularly put my surgical guides in and walk away for awhile... and yes sometimes they are tight.

I was thinking 100% polymerization was the goal, but maybe these companies validate to something less...
I haven't done surgical guides yet so I'm not familiar with that resin. But in general, if you set the exposure too high while printing, it can cause dimensional issues. There are exposure tests out there that are flat with details. They print quick and you can see if your details are not sharp. Amerilabs Town is a decent test. https://siraya.tech/pages/siraya-tech-test-model This link will bring you to a newer test from Siraya Tech.

For example, when I installed my 8k screen, I ran a flat test (the one on github) and found that my exposure was too high. I dropped it and filled the plate up with crown and bridge models. None of my dies fit Banghead . I loaded up a single model and dropped the exposure again and hit it right. The 4k screen wanted 2.5s exposure and the 8k is at 1.5. I'm a bit more heavy handed with my process, but I like to find the exposure with the kind of models (be it dental or hobby) that I'm printing.

Again, I haven't done surgical guides ( that's coming though) and I imagine that complete curing is very important for something that's going into the mouth. I would stick with the recommendations of the resin company to be safe, but not over cure it. Set a timer perhaps.

I'm not sure if that rambling answered your question. Laugh

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
I print implant models all the time with my Phrozen printers. You just need to dial in the settings. You can also adjust the analog settings in Exocad for a more tight or passive fit

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
This is off the Epax X10 with the 8K screen. These models are done in Dental Wings, but I prefer B4D for model creating. You can over expose the resin, bloating the print and leaving the dies tight and not fitting the coping. I worked for a while with my SM4K to get the correct fit with this particular resin. I print for my lab and another and everyone is happy with the look and fit. Dental specific printers are a bit easier, more plug and play. If you need help figuring out a non-dental printer, feel free to message or email me : [email protected]
View attachment 40836
This is a must-have for anyone with a Phrozen printer

This changes everything!

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
I print implant models all the time with my Phrozen printers. You just need to dial in the settings.
Keystone does a fantastic job with giving you the exact settings for a resin it provides with printers that are validated for it. If I were still having issues where would I start to “dial in” the settings.

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
This is off the Epax X10 with the 8K screen. These models are done in Dental Wings, but I prefer B4D for model creating. You can over expose the resin, bloating the print and leaving the dies tight and not fitting the coping. I worked for a while with my SM4K to get the correct fit with this particular resin. I print for my lab and another and everyone is happy with the look and fit. Dental specific printers are a bit easier, more plug and play. If you need help figuring out a non-dental printer, feel free to message or email me :

Thankyou, but im using phrozen sonic 4k and phrozen aqua gray 4k resin, do you know the resin settings to get the best fit?

This is a must-have for anyone with a Phrozen printer

This changes everything!
Im sorry, can you explain me what that is ?
Thnks before

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Thankyou, but im using phrozen sonic 4k and phrozen aqua gray 4k resin, do you know the resin settings to get the best fit?

Im sorry, can you explain me what that is ?
Thnks before
It's a magnetic plate that sticks to the build plate. After the print is done, you peel of piece attached to the magnet and bend it. Your models pop right off. No more scraping and prying your prints off

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Keystone does a fantastic job with giving you the exact settings for a resin it provides with printers that are validated for it. If I were still having issues where would I start to “dial in” the settings.
Print the calibration pieces. You can find them on thingiverse