Phone pics and ring flash

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Is having reasonable success using their phone camera for patient pictures with shade guidance?

Recently ran across a ring flash phone attachment and wondered if anyone had tried them as well.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you mean SmileLite ?

it works. its expensive but it works.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
you mean SmileLite ?it works. its expensive but it works.
The smilelite had escaped my notice. I was talking about something like this:
51QWFhxdRcL._SY400_.jpg

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
I bought the CocoLux from hass bio. It works well enough. Although I haven’t really used it for shade selection as I don’t see people ever. But for taking pics of work on the bench it works well.

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
We used to use cell phones for shade pics. I personally found it very unprofessional. The patients would make remarks about their pictures ending up on facebook. We've since just bought point and shoot cameras that do the job better than a phone, and don't look like we are sharing their pictures with anyone or taking them home at night.

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
We used to use cell phones for shade pics. I personally found it very unprofessional. The patients would make remarks about their pictures ending up on facebook. We've since just bought point and shoot cameras that do the job better than a phone, and don't look like we are sharing their pictures with anyone.
We got a nice DSLR with a big macro lens and ring flash...although none of us know how to use it, but we look professional as h3ll :D

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We got a nice DSLR with a big macro lens and ring flash...although none of us know how to use it, but we look professional as h3ll :D
I loved my cannon AE1 but I droped it out of the bag once and nothing was right after that.

user name

user name

Reaction score
No offense to anyone imparticular, just those that think using a cell phone for shade pics is an acceptable idea.

We have threads with people b!tching about the decline of our industry. Be a F-ing professional. Use professional tools, even if its just to make you look professional. Otherwise you might as well take notes with a F-ing crayon in front of the patient.

user name

user name

Reaction score
And another point. A ring flash sucks on a good camera. But put one on a cell phone, and now you've got something?!

M

MadmenJJ

Reaction score
I got a Coco LUX from Hass Bio.
I personally think it is bit over priced (But still CHEAPER than smileline)
My experience of taking shade photos with it, was pretty surprising.
If you have coco lux, I suggest you not to use its filter.
(that grey filter will make everything flat and yellow, even B1 looks like A3~A4)

After using this thing, cheaper phone ring flash probably wouldn't be much different.
(EXCEPT, if you are one who wants to look PROFESSIONAL with FANCY TOOLS)

One thing about this phone ring flash is sometimes the light is too strong and
reflection on patient's teeth will blind actual teeth's characters.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I got a Coco LUX from Hass Bio.
I personally think it is bit over priced (But still CHEAPER than smileline)
My experience of taking shade photos with it, was pretty surprising.
If you have coco lux, I suggest you not to use its filter.
(that grey filter will make everything flat and yellow, even B1 looks like A3~A4)

After using this thing, cheaper phone ring flash probably wouldn't be much different.
(EXCEPT, if you are one who wants to look PROFESSIONAL with FANCY TOOLS)

One thing about this phone ring flash is sometimes the light is too strong and
reflection on patient's teeth will blind actual teeth's characters.
The light from the flash bounces back into the camera at the same angle it goes out of the ring flash and floods out the details.