Payment question

G

gbatista22

Reaction score
Hi,
We have small lab, my question is: what to do with the doctor who pays the statement always late and we have to call every month to collect. We expect to receive the payment on 15th of every month, they only pay next following month plus we need to call to request the payment.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Just tell them the next time they send work that you can't do business with them anymore because they don't pay on time, that you have bills to pay as well. They will sound embarrassed and pay on time a few times until they don't. Then do it again.

G

gbatista22

Reaction score
Just tell them the next time they send work that you can't do business with them anymore because they don't pay on time, that you have bills to pay as well. They will sound embarrassed and pay on time a few times until they don't. Then do it again.
Thank you !

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Get a credit card and process on 15 th of every month if that's your policy
I've noticed that certain management companies will not provide a cc# and will tend to delay payments as long as possible.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that certain management companies will not provide a cc# and will tend to delay payments as long as possible.
Seems to be the practice with most multidoc locations.
They want to pay by check as each doc pays for their labwork separately. The card is only permitted for office-wide purchases.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Seems to be the practice with most multidoc locations.
They want to pay by check as each doc pays for their labwork separately. The card is only permitted for office-wide purchases.
I'm seeing this with single dr practices as well. Dr is separated from any payment obligations assigned to the management corps.
Ransom seems to be the only viable recourse.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Next time they call for pickup, tell them there is an outstanding balance on their account. Would they like to make a payment. They know the routine, they do it everyday in their office. They're using the old don't you want our business, beg for a crown routine. That way of doing business is obsolete in today's Walmart world. If you need the work bad enough, then keep bowing. If you want respect, remind them of your terms of service. Pride and income is a hard balance.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing this with single dr practices as well. Dr is separated from any payment obligations assigned to the management corps.
Ransom seems to be the only viable recourse.
adjust your Rx to say the dr *IS* responsible.
As an LLC or even a subchapter S corporation down here, if I want to buy with a loan, they want it signed by me as a natural human and not as the manager or owner of the corp.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Remember the extension of credit without collateral is a courtesy. Try that with a bank.
Dentists don't give you business. You are the business. And your business is exchanging services for money. If they pay late, then deliver late. When it comes to a head, tell them you give better service to the clients who pay on time. Believe me they know its a game. I've seen them fall all over themselves when they have a patient with reset benefits. Its a power play. They think they have a carrot on a stick, not knowing dentistry the last 20 years already cut the string. Thats why half the labs are gone, And a lot of work is subpar by old standards. Labs competing over $80 crowns. Insurance networks on their ass. In my book, they're getting what they deserve. And unfortunately so are we.

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
A few years ago, I got a call from a new account to do a lot of work. It rang up to 5K in one month. To be honest I'm not a hard nose about getting the money on the exact day as long as they are close. He kept sending me work, was starting to be unbearable to work with, he called me during my guitar lesson on Saturday, saying the patient was in the chair, where was the denture (it wasn't due for another week ;-p I called wondering where the money was, he didn't answer but left me a message not to call him again for money that the "corporation" handled it. I had to figure out who the corp was and called them. They acted like 5K was too much for the services and made me send all the docs to them. I finally got paid but wow was I dumb. There isn't a certain answer on these things, if you can get a cc on file that's great, but a lot won't do that, good luck getting them to pay up front as well...

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Usually when someone new calls up and starts sending an unusual gob of work, it means their old lab cut them off and they're looking for another sucker. A good dentist would scout another lab just to test their work to make sure it wasn't worse than where they are, before going all in.

Last edited:
D

David Laville

Reaction score
Usually when someone new calls up and starts sending an unusual gob of work, it means their old lab cut them off and they're looking for another sucker. A good dentist would scout another lab just to test their work to make sure it wasn't worse than where they are, before going all in.

Yep, happened to me when I was first starting out with my lab and I got burned. Lesson learned. Fortunately I have two accounts who immediately pay. One pays within 3 days of receiving the monthly statement and the other pays within a week, sometimes he cuts me a check when I drop off the work. He said his grandfather was a dentist and the most important lesson he taught him was there were 2 people you pay first, your staff and your lab because without them you wouldn't have a practice.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Hi,
We have small lab, my question is: what to do with the doctor who pays the statement always late and we have to call every month to collect. We expect to receive the payment on 15th of every month, they only pay next following month plus we need to call to request the payment.
next case you complete, call for CC to bill and keep on file. they have abused the ability to be invoiced via statements.