Partial mishap

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Did a lower partial replacing 24 with buccal wrought wires. Nothing special done 1000 cases like this no complaints. Get the call today saying 24 protrudes out way to far.. They even said 1cm. Im hoping the receptionist was mistaking a cm for mm because there is just no way.

This is my first time dealing witb the dr.The kicker is he threw away the denture.... Could have been a very simple fix to put another tooth in pushed a few mms in.

So with the idea of building a good reputation I am going to offer a free remake this time. Request all models and dentures are returned in the future so we do not repeat mistakes and can learn from them. This is the strangest thing and im just not sure what caused it. If it were only a few mms out id understand I prbobably made a mistake... But a CM!

I think the patient has bridges.. Has anyone seen this cause a problem similar?

I know a lot of you will say to tell the doc to take a hike but I am trying to be a good manager/owner in this situation and put off my technician instincts to tell drs they are wrong haha.

pdent

pdent

Reaction score
Did a lower partial replacing 24 with buccal wrought wires. Nothing special done 1000 cases like this no complaints. Get the call today saying 24 protrudes out way to far.. They even said 1cm. Im hoping the receptionist was mistaking a cm for mm because there is just no way.

This is my first time dealing witb the dr.The kicker is he threw away the denture.... Could have been a very simple fix to put another tooth in pushed a few mms in.

So with the idea of building a good reputation I am going to offer a free remake this time. Request all models and dentures are returned in the future so we do not repeat mistakes and can learn from them. This is the strangest thing and im just not sure what caused it. If it were only a few mms out id understand I prbobably made a mistake... But a CM!

I think the patient has bridges.. Has anyone seen this cause a problem similar?

I know a lot of you will say to tell the doc to take a hike but I am trying to be a good manager/owner in this situation and put off my technician instincts to tell drs they are wrong haha.
Maybe he didn't seat the partial all the way and got frustrated. I'd give it another try but stay on high alert with this guy.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Luke here is my recommendation and my thoughts.

First they are most likely are letting the guy wear the transitional appliance while you make a new one. They are playing games with you, no one throws away something they feel the lab made an error with.

In any event I would make a call like this, Dr its my policy to always stand behind the workmanship of our appliances. Our policy is to have EVERYTHING returned to us so we may either modify what has been produced or remake at our discretion.

This one time since the appliance seems to be misplaced we will remake at our expense. Just understand in the future we will stick to our policy and the new appliance will be charged out at full fee if the original is not returned for modifications.

Set your policy stick to it and do not waiver.

Good luck

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Luke here is my recommendation and my thoughts.

First they are most likely are letting the guy wear the transitional appliance while you make a new one. They are playing games with you, no one throws away something they feel the lab made an error with.

In any event I would make a call like this, Dr its my policy to always stand behind the workmanship of our appliances. Our policy is to have EVERYTHING returned to us so we may either modify what has been produced or remake at our discretion.

This one time since the appliance seems to be misplaced we will remake at our expense. Just understand in the future we will stick to our policy and the new appliance will be charged out at full fee if the original is not returned for modifications.

Set your policy stick to it and do not waiver.

Good luck

Thanks guys. Hopefully this turns into a good relationahip. But at this point im on high alert like you said @pdent

I wasnt surprised when they said had trouble with the partial because I have seen the wires be a pain before but to say the tooth stuck out too far? Its not the most complicated thing to set in an arch, hard for me to believe I was that far off. But with being a new lab and reputation at risk since he is a longtime local doc, id like to do everything I can.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Threw away the denture? FFS if he did not pay for it its not his to throw away.
Get a remake policy in place, like John says... if you do this from day one , you will have less hassles.

Sometimes we are too keen to just get the work and forget the business stuff. You are a business first.

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
My father is a good business man. He said to keep your reputation locally in mind so I am going to follow his advice.

You all are definitely right. Starting now it is protocol to get a remake/refund I will need the case returned. Something I had given no thought before this incident.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Also Luke it is always a good idea to make duplicate models, we send the master back with ALL denture cases, this is to prove the fit and to have something to work on IN CASE it comes back.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if he threw it away its no longer warantee work, its full new case. charge as per usual and if he gives you hell let him know as John said, in no uncertain terms, it could have been modified if he sent it back, for much less money. new teeth, new acrylic, full remake procedure costs time and money. he doesnt work for free, and neither should you.

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
They declined the remake and said they will pay for the service. Ah well what can ya do.

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Its the simplest case ill probably ever do lol how does this go wrong is my biggest question

G

grantoz

Reaction score
He broke it! as it may have been tight, while trying to adjust it because of he or she's poor impression.Tthe only way its a 1cm out, is if its not seating.I think you have dodged a bullet .I once had a dentist blaming something on everyone except himself and i suggested that he reads some of the threads on DLN particularly about triple trays and facepalm moments i never got another triple tray impression .Dentist sometimes want to shoot the messenger .

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
It's in his mouth... or broken... as others have said...

As a side note... old mobile phones make great cameras in the lab, and you can email direct from the phone just using wifi.. you don't need a sim card.
Take a quick shot of everything that leaves the lab for reference later..you never know, it's quick and easy to do.
We have a couple of older iPhones that we snap pics of most jobs just in case there is a big issue..

Also, actually one of the BIG advantages of going digital is you can easily compare a new cast with the original one sent.

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Great ideas guys.
Going to keep an extra model on hand for a few weeks for arguement sake and snap a picture of work before its out the door.

New day, new stuff to worry about. Good riddance to anyone who has that much appreciation for my work to "throw it away" before consulting with me to fix it.

My final thought is what @pdent said initially. Must have had trouble seating and broke it or whatever. They're delicate, I handle these things daily, rarely get complaints and never anything like this.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Luke.... remember every job you don't hear about is likely a good one. Its just the odd one that is a weird one for whatever reason is always the biggest drama.

Yes its a new day, and let it be a great one, Shine on !

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
They declined the remake and said they will pay for the service. Ah well what can ya do.
They declined the remake? and threw it away. Declined free work. Dr messed up didn't want to show the lab. Bad impression or something. Broke clasp maybe it was probably drs fault.

P

paul sarratt cdt

Reaction score
Always remember in this business you are only as good as your last case