Partial framework casting lab (Midwest)?

D

David Laville

Reaction score
Oh and David Laville just by the way i have a Bsc degree, 3 year Dental Technologist Diploma and my RDT. So i dont think i am a complete ignoramus in this field of 38 years. Dental Technology is a very honourable profession and I have respect for anyone in this field. What is your background that you hate this profesion so much and the people in it?

I also have a Bsc degree, 2 year Dental Technology degree from LSU School of Dentistry and my RDT. But I continued on with my education. I'm also educated in history and engineering which I used when I worked in golf research briefly. I've been offered teaching jobs under two top 100 golf instructors and was one of 5 instructors choosing my a tour instructor who was putting together a team of instructors to go around the country giving golf clinics.

I do dental technology because it's what I I do best and the golf industry is even more cut throat than the dental lab business.

I use my background in history as a licensed New Orleans tour guide and own my own tour company.

Anything else I can help you with?

D

David Laville

Reaction score
@David Laville Just a few quotes, from someone who has read all your posts...

Ok never mind clearly you know everything you need to. Which is very little.
Please allow me to educate you a little.
Let me educate you to something else.
I have an attitude towards this profession and little respect for anyone in it.
From my experience most dental technicians are poorly educated and have limited skills.
EXCUSE ME? You started this crap.
Go look in a mirror if you want to see a rude and negative person.
You started this crap.
education is punished and ignorance rewarded in this profession.
And they can't understand why I have a blatant disrespect for other technicians.
Are you starting to get a clue why I think you're a dumbass?

And now Ill interject...
If you were to be charged with being a douche, I think we could get a conviction.

Last edited:
D

David Laville

Reaction score
@David Laville
Lets all get along. Im a former douche too. These guys have help mold me into the successful ass clown I am today. I understand your angst for the taco bell comparison, but let it go. We all value education; Im envious for some of yours. Every day I wake up and pray that things'll go ok. Im good at what I do because I practice, Im talented and God looks out for idiots.

Back on topic...

Why do so many removable folks order out frames. Is it any bigger deal for you to do it than for someone else? I don't know. just asking.

I use to do my own frames when I had my first lab but I got rid of all the equipment except for the high speed grinder when I shut down. When I opened my present lab I didn't want to go through the hassles of fabricating cast partials anymore so I contract them out.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
As everyone knows partial frameworks are extremely labour and material intensive. They should be $400 a frame. I am not trying to insult anyone, just don't get.
We use silicones to do all our duplicates, use the best investments, alloys Wironium Plus (Bego),my techs get paid in the $40/hour range, how many hours do you think it takes to make a casting? Do the math my friend. Why do labs keep selling themselves short? We have many labs sending to us who do not mind paying the fee.
yep, and also think about the likely charges from a c&b lab for a 12 unit full arch metal frame (not inc' metal costs, unpolished too) with no silicon duplication technique & prep. Chrome labs should be much more highly valued, the workload, difficulty, and mess has a huge impact.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the toughest job in this industry if you ask me...is the partial finisher/polisher. I really think chrome labs should charge $400 a frame minimum if you ask me....most don't even charge half that. Such a unique and so technical of a job in our industry...kudos to you frame folks!!!

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Honestly, the toughest job in this industry if you ask me...is the partial finisher/polisher. I really think chrome labs should charge $400 a frame minimum if you ask me....most don't even charge half that. Such a unique and so technical of a job in our industry...kudos to you frame folks!!!
Our latest finisher had a background in jewelry, so metal finish was easy, the learning curve was application to dentistry.
It is not a task for the lazy.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Our latest finisher had a background in jewelry, so metal finish was easy, the learning curve was application to dentistry.
It is not a task for the lazy.

Don't the production labs have tumblers to polish? I would think the tech cuts the sprue, tosses in a tumbler, then high shines.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Don't the production labs have tumblers to polish? I would think the tech cuts the sprue, tosses in a tumbler, then high shines.
That'll help with the polishing, but that's the last 2-5 minutes of the work. The metal finishing takes at least 30 minutes.

If you're doing the classic blockout, dup, waxup then the wax will always have flash on the edges that must be trimmed, the holes will nedd to be cleaned up, finishing lines defined, etc. Worse/more time consuming that metal finishing for PFM as the metal is far harder. If waxed properly PFM copings effectively only need the exterior cleaned with a burr to give some fingers of metal texturre for addtional micro-mechanical advantage with porcelain adhearance.

Having experience finishing both, I'd take a dozen PFM copings over one frame for time consumption.

What you describe would be a dream process for anyone who's ever done them and that would make someone very rich if it could be made possible.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
That'll help with the polishing, but that's the last 2-5 minutes of the work. The metal finishing takes at least 30 minutes.

If you're doing the classic blockout, dup, waxup then the wax will always have flash on the edges that must be trimmed, the holes will nedd to be cleaned up, finishing lines defined, etc. Worse/more time consuming that metal finishing for PFM as the metal is far harder. If waxed properly PFM copings effectively only need the exterior cleaned with a burr to give some fingers of metal texturre for addtional micro-mechanical advantage with porcelain adhearance.

Having experience finishing both, I'd take a dozen PFM copings over one frame for time consumption.

What you describe would be a dream process for anyone who's ever done them and that would make someone very rich if it could be made possible.
Yep. Polish is the easy part.

Top Bottom