Partial dentures Wax breaking

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
So my teeth almost always break of the partial when tried in the mouth, It is super annoying for everyone.

I process acrylic on the intaglio then set in wax on top of that. It almost always comes back broken, I will take it on and off the model 10-20 times never any issues and somehow it will break off when the Dr takes it off the model. It makes me look bad and it makes no one happy.

Suggestions?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So my teeth almost always break of the partial when tried in the mouth, It is super annoying for everyone.

I process acrylic on the intaglio then set in wax on top of that. It almost always comes back broken, I will take it on and off the model 10-20 times never any issues and somehow it will break off when the Dr takes it off the model. It makes me look bad and it makes no one happy.

Suggestions?
Interesting question.
Does this only happen with one account or more?
My hunch is that your waxup is too accurate to the model and the dr is a bit more aggressive in removing it than you are.
Maybe a sloppier fit will avoid the problem, such as more wax space around the abutment teeth.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Don't put it on the model. Give it to the Dr in a baggie with some distilled water. He can take it from the baggie straight to the mouth without breaking anything.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Suggestions?
I've never put wax on top that I didn't have it underneath too. Otherwise it's pure surface tension. Complete at least some of the holes in the frame and then the wax will have more strength to hold onto the frame.

Right now your description is that the teeth effectively slide off as there is no mechanical retention. The force is not being transfered, but taken by the wax on top of the frame, that has no additional retentive strength, from which it slides.

Is that what you're seeing?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I've never put wax on top that I didn't have it underneath too. Otherwise it's pure surface tension. Complete at least some of the holes in the frame and then the wax will have more strength to hold onto the frame.

Right now your description is that the teeth effectively slide off as there is no mechanical retention. The force is not being transfered, but taken by the wax on top of the frame, that has no additional retentive strength, from which it slides.

Is that what you're seeing?
I agree. There's no need to have any acrylic under the frame for try in. The wax will flow under the frame and hold better.
An added bonus is you don't have to bond new acrylic to the old during processing.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
I explain to the docs, this is only wax, theres only so much I can do, if the tooth comes off during try in, stick it back on in the patients mouth to check shade. And if they find that unacceptable, I explain that we can just go straight to process on these for your 'try ins' but you'll have to pay to have it reprocessed if changes are needed. Docs need to do a little work too.

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
I use just wax for try in. Easier for Dr to adjust long border or ? I also slightly loosen clasps and tell Dr were checking fit and not retention