over denture attachments

Z

zena

Reaction score
Can any one give information about over denture attachments. They're 2 groups of attachments, #1 rigid and #2 resilient Whats the differences and why or when would you use either kind?

LGTCDT

LGTCDT

Reaction score
Hey Chicken,
A rigid or non-resilient allows no movement between the abutment and the attachment
such as a slot or lockable type. Probably not what I would use for implants.
A resilient allows some movement between the two like ERA, Locator, O-Rings. The
prefered type.
Hope this helps.
Leslie

Last edited:
M

markfenneley

Reaction score
Dental Types

Immediate dentures (sometimes called temporary dentures) are actually made BEFORE the natural teeth are extracted. The patient walks into the office with natural teeth, and walks out with false teeth. The teeth are extracted, and a prefabricated denture is inserted directly over the bleeding sockets.

urological Surgery

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Can any one give information about over denture attachments. They're 2 groups of attachments, #1 rigid and #2 resilient Whats the differences and why or when would you use either kind?

Hey Chicken..... Here is a good resource regarding attachments and implants.
Attachments International

C

crivasCDT

Reaction score

your question has been answered well...

I'd like to mention that we are also available to help when it comes to attachments and implants. Please let me know if we can be of service with the planning/designing of your next attachments overdentures cases. Technical toll free line 877-329-3965 XPdent - VKS-OC Attachment System

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I would like to add that when attachments are used in crown and bridge, rigid attachments tend to transmit forces down the long axis of the abutment crown. They also tend to have greater retentive forces. Resilient attachments, which for C&B are all extracoronal as well, are intended to transmit the forces to the edentulous ridge and avoid possibly overloading the abutment. When two attchment RPD's oppose one another, the attachment should NOT be the same type, and the rigid USUALLY go on the maxillary.
In terms of implant overdentures, a rigid system is used with bars as the mechanics are IMPLANT SUPPORTED.
When the attachments are stud type or rotating, like a Hader bar, they are classified as TISSUE SUPPORTED and IMPLANT RETAINED.
so ti comes down to what is taking the forces, the implant (rigid),or the tissues/ridges (resilient). Keep in mind that using an ERA or Locator on a milled bar with overcasting renders it a rigid type.
Hope that helps.