Outsourcing hitting hard for small Aussie dental labs

Chiolo

Chiolo

Reaction score
We are a small lab is Queensland, Australia. In the last six months we lost two of our biggest clients to outsourcing labs. It has been financially tough for us as we are not able to compete with their low prices. We have had to reduce our prices just to have a look in. I was reading one post from someone in China from one of these labs, and I just wanted to say your labs are not good for the Australian economy, stay away. Surely you have enough of a market in your own country without deliberately undercutting our country's prices just so you can
monopolise.

Hi, i am one of the 'guilty' guys. Yes i'm living in China and working in the dental industry. But please trust me that we are not in better situation. Many of the labs could not afford the low price competition. The population dividend now is going to disappear, therefore we have to make the price higher year after year. And the domestic market has been taken up by the import products, especially refers to the high-end market. Even for the products 'made in China', the reality is that two of the most large labs are both in charged by Densply. I think that's the real monopoly.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
knock,Penny,knock,Penney,knock,Penny. Half the graduates from dental schools here are now female. We work for lots of them. Most selling is done with females even to females.

That's the truth.

M

martintay

Reaction score
Hi, i am one of the 'guilty' guys. Yes i'm living in China and working in the dental industry. But please trust me that we are not in better situation. Many of the labs could not afford the low price competition. The population dividend now is going to disappear, therefore we have to make the price higher year after year. And the domestic market has been taken up by the import products, especially refers to the high-end market. Even for the products 'made in China', the reality is that two of the most large labs are both in charged by Densply. I think that's the real monopoly.

Very interesting to see an informed opinion from a chinese perspective !

G

Gord

Reaction score
If someone does a job with a very high labor content in the finished product and it can be easily outsourced it probably will be.

In this country we liked the idea that we could make good money and spend it on imported goods to make that money go farther and farther. When it was textile industry we said little and did nothing, when it was steel industry and many others we did the same, but when it came to our little industry the voices became high and shrill, save us from the evil ones.

I see the incongruity of our state lab association selling "Proudly Made in Texas" stickers to the members to put on their work so the assistants have something to read and remove but when I look at the bottom of the logoed coffee cup I bought from them its "Made in China."

The idea of the competition doing less so their competition can survive is not in any book on capitalism I've ever read. This country does need to do some work on trade balance but when you owe the other country a ton of money our bargaining power is not very strong.

I've sold imported lab work going on 10 years now and it is now part of the marketplace here. My advice is you need to train to do the things in the industry imports can't service very well and charge more than you do now for those type services. Then you get back the money offshore took and work less for what you get. That is happening here is some domestic labs are doing very well but we are also losing a lot of labs that would not or could not make the changes necessary.
What offshore labs do you have favorable experiences with ?

A

asiaforever007

Reaction score
Hello I'm a dental technician prosthetist working in Sydney Australia.I guess I'm lucky that I perform all acrylic work myself within my denture clinic.I have been approached many times about out- sourcing especially when it relates to chrome work partial dentures.I know of technicians here that have been forced out of the industry just cant survive.I believe there should be taxes placed on foreign work entering the country.I'm still getting over the Medicare scheme that was up and running here.Almost anyone could go to there GP and receive a form authorizing the recipient to an amount of $4250 for dental work through a dentist or prosthetist.The scheme was rorted left right and centre blind Freddy could see that yet it was allowed to run for sometime.

NormC

NormC

Reaction score
probably even worse for dental labs is the advent of inhouse labs. Our dental practice used to spend at least 15 grand a month on lab fees. Now, with our Exocad lab in a back room, we spend about 3 grand. Not only saving money but we do crowns in a day, as opposed to 10 days. I think what really made me get our own lab: Our patients were going elsewhere for their one-day crowns! We live in a huge tourist city (Vegas) and a lot of our customers are on vacation and can't wait. I'll actually do crown in an hour if they want Celtra Duo instead of zirconia.

Top Bottom