Outsource

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
We currently have a in-house Cercon machine...I have found that having a milling unit is time consuming. I was thinking yesterday about outsourcing Zirconia to a milling centre to help the work-flow. Do people favour outsourcing or having a in-house system cost wise?

yooper886

yooper886

Reaction score
I am a removable lab owner but I would think it would depend on how much of a control freak you are. If you are a big enough control freak then I would think you could easily justify the cost of a system. On the other hand if you can find a lab you trust and does the quality of work that you demand then I would think one could afford not to purchase a system and search for something else their lab needs at the moment.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Really depends on the volume of work you do with your milling machine. If you're doing more than 5-10 millings a day, I believe it would be more advantageous/profitable to do your own millings. If you're not, then farm it out (preferably in the U.S.A.).....no offense my foreign friends, just being a patriotic American....lol

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
I can also add that having a CAD system in-house gives you FULL-CONTROL of the substructure design and fabrication process of zirconia. When I talk to colleagues that outsource their zirconia, their biggest complaint is getting back work that wasn't designed correctly-either under or over supported-by technicians perhaps not taking into account that zirconia has support requirements that MUST be followed. Then you end up grinding sintered zirconia in your lab if it's wrong or bulky (bye-bye expensive diamonds!) or sending the case back because they send something unsupportive.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I can also add that having a CAD system in-house gives you FULL-CONTROL of the substructure design and fabrication process of zirconia. When I talk to colleagues that outsource their zirconia, their biggest complaint is getting back work that wasn't designed correctly-either under or over supported-by technicians perhaps not taking into account that zirconia has support requirements that MUST be followed. Then you end up grinding sintered zirconia in your lab if it's wrong or bulky (bye-bye expensive diamonds!) or sending the case back because they send something unsupportive.
Yes, thats the reason we do our own milling, full control. The big labs that pump out tons of coping hire people with no understanding of what teeth look like or what support for porcelain is. We tried some and couldn't deal with that.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Check out Scott's lab at ***...... Spent hours with him this pass weekend, very nice guys to work with....... I'm also a very strick believer in designing your own frames ....... If you can't design you own, you better be working with a lab thats scanning the opposing teeth or just stay away from zirconia..........

Charles

C

charles007

Reaction score
Can someone take Norma Chrissy off this forum,,,,,, This person is not here to learn or share anything about the lab.........

Charles

Top Bottom