Other Career's / Jobs

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I know everyone here is involved in dentistry in one form or another. So it might not be the best place to ask but what other careers / jobs do you see that a dental tech could use some of the skills that they have learned over the years?
I have worked with many people and some stay and really enjoy it but others realize that it's just not for them and try to find other paths.
I know each person does different tasks and can vary ability wise. Some are great at color and the manual dexterity and seeing proper shapes. Some people are great at CAD. The list goes on.
With the virus and being closed. It's a common thing to question your career path. Have you given thought?

I know I am currently questioning if I'm doing the right thing. I know it's not a great time economy wise with people losing their jobs in all industries.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Auto mechanics
plumbing/electrical
carpentry
I have picked up some odd cash jobs locally which helps out.
Sometimes those little jobs become more lucrative and lead you in a direction you may not have thought about.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I have been getting a steady amount of work coming in. Not quite as much as before this charade. There are plenty of people out there that need
dental work in some form or other. I have some crowns I was trying to deliver early to help some clients fill there schedules. All of them have said,
"Don't bother, our schedules are full." I take that as a good sign for our area at least.

Jobs related to dental technology? Someone once said "it's all relative." I've found that most things are related in some way or another and if you use inferences from past experience, learning something new is less of a challenge.
Most of the dental technicians I have known have multifaceted talents/abilities. A few thoughts, as a lab owner doing digital work you have experience with CAD design and maybe drawing as well. CAM, though probably not as deep as a CAM engineer you may be able to get a gig. Jeweler, but a lot of your products sit on the shelf until you find someone willing to part with the money in their wallet for your wares. If you are a lab owner and have had a steady go at it for some time, it is unlikely that you will make the money that you do now and have the freedom to do it your way

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I know everyone here is involved in dentistry in one form or another. So it might not be the best place to ask but what other careers / jobs do you see that a dental tech could use some of the skills that they have learned over the years?
I have worked with many people and some stay and really enjoy it but others realize that it's just not for them and try to find other paths.
I know each person does different tasks and can vary ability wise. Some are great at color and the manual dexterity and seeing proper shapes. Some people are great at CAD. The list goes on.
With the virus and being closed. It's a common thing to question your career path. Have you given thought?

I know I am currently questioning if I'm doing the right thing. I know it's not a great time economy wise with people losing their jobs in all industries.
I had a friend in my class after finishing dental tech went to fabricating artificial face restoration like noses and ears, etc.. for accident survivals in his country.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Up here the dentists got the green light last Thursday for prepping teeth, got thirteen cases that day...was kinda unexpected, specially for May long. Work keeps coming in steady since. By no means busy, as before the shut down, but still... Not sure how will it pan out, too early to tell. With the record number of unemployed and businesses to go belly up, I'm a bit pessimistic...it could cascade in no time. Ma de a plan to be able to stay afloat in case the economy takes a nosedive, had talks with the two small labs, we already helping each-other quite some time for... to join forces and save on expenses if SHTF. Hope will never happen.

Jobs related to dental tech ? I'm not sure if there's any, one could jump right in. Training into something would be a different story, artistic, precision and tech related skills will sure help a lot. CAD ? If you cannot design an attachment from a drawing or a whole implant library, you can pretty much forget about it. Try your skills on a freely available CAD app like FreeCAD or Fusion360, see how do you fare. Sorry for being a downer. The competition is fierce out there. CAM ? Same thing, dental CAM are watered down versions of industrial counterparts. Can you put together then optimize a strategy for a random part/geometry ? If so, you might have a chance.

Doing other jobs than dental ? It depends on your skill set ... I've held a variety of jobs before venturing into dental as a janitor at a big lab, then worked my way up. I can do a lot, still to this day I do and fix whatever I can (or have time for Dontknow),before farming the job out. I can do general construction, pretty much everything but cabinet carpentry, mechanics, tinker with mechatronics and even hack computer code if I have to... speak four languages. I am not worried about having to do something else if I ever have to leave the dental field.

In fact, I was planning to take a different path for a while, I still am....tho this plandemic did add a few years till I'll be able to pull the plug for sure. Been doing this for twenty years and it was good to me financially, but it's time to leave the bench / long hours and live a bit before is too late. I've seen too many old friends heath deteriorate before they could enjoy the fruits of their lifelong labor. Got a small tourism related business going already, down south at my hideout, I could expand on that. I'm being bugged about bringing high end dental and know-how to that area (catering to tourists mostly) partnering with some dentists wanting to semi retire there as well... something I'd be reluctant to do... Will see, what this socially distanced "new normal" will bring.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Can I get a job as the grounds keeper at your luxury resort?

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Yeah I have been shutdown and nothing has come in for about 2 months. Sure Dentist's are open in my province but none of my clients are able to drill or unwilling and it's understandable.

It's hard enough to source proper PPE. Most people aren't willing to gamble on some pop up PPE seller. They only trust the big guys.

You have to wait 2 hours after any sort of aerosol has been used and the room has to be sanitized.

Most of the dental offices are open concept so plastic barriers have to be put up in-between each chair area. It's an ordeal and doesn't really make economical sense for some Dentist's to even be open.

I know down south is a totally different set of circumstances. I can just follow what guidelines are being put before me.

I'm just thinking long term, I know work will always be there but maybe it won't even be feasible economically to keep open.

I also have been doing this for 20 years and went on my own about 4 years ago. It's been a journey and I am proud of what I have done.

I put alot of hard work to get this going and now it just feels like it will be tough to keep it going for the next year or 2.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yeah I have been shutdown and nothing has come in for about 2 months. Sure Dentist's are open in my province but none of my clients are able to drill or unwilling and it's understandable.

It's hard enough to source proper PPE. Most people aren't willing to gamble on some pop up PPE seller. They only trust the big guys.

You have to wait 2 hours after any sort of aerosol has been used and the room has to be sanitized.

Most of the dental offices are open concept so plastic barriers have to be put up in-between each chair area. It's an ordeal and doesn't really make economical sense for some Dentist's to even be open.

I know down south is a totally different set of circumstances. I can just follow what guidelines are being put before me.

I'm just thinking long term, I know work will always be there but maybe it won't even be feasible economically to keep open.

I also have been doing this for 20 years and went on my own about 4 years ago. It's been a journey and I am proud of what I have done.

I put alot of hard work to get this going and now it just feels like it will be tough to keep it going for the next year or 2.
We are in the same boat as you. Ontario is still showing high numbers of infection so the Dental College is still waiting on the medical officer. I'm hearing early June but acquiring ppes is still a concern.
I've been at this for over 42 years so it feels like my retirement has been moved up by 5 years..
we shall see if things pick up after opening but my optimism requires a few Stellas and a big fatty.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
We are in the same boat as you. Ontario is still showing high numbers of infection so the Dental College is still waiting on the medical officer. I'm hearing early June but acquiring ppes is still a concern.
I've been at this for over 42 years so it feels like my retirement has been moved up by 5 years..
we shall see if things pick up after opening but my optimism requires a few Stellas and a big fatty.
Keep hope my friend. Stella and her fatty sisters can be a help.

Top Bottom