Orthodontics

L

lia

Reaction score
I am very new to the ortho lab. Can somebody suggest what pencil to use to mark the models so that ink is not going to run or get erased and can take soaking. Currently we are using ink pencil that is discontinued and I am down to a very small pencil.

Thank you very much

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Is it a pen or a pencil?
I'm lab pen, pencil, sharpie, exacto crazy.

In my lab coat I always have a retractable exacto, sharpie, fine point sharpie, and my all stainless steel .05 red led mechanical pencil. It's metal so it never melts when I leave it next to the waxer. Sharpie is great on die stone, but stone separator will always make the ink bleed a mess. But I don't think you'll be using separator in ortho lab.

So if you want to write pan numbers and patient names neatly on stone, get a fine point sharpie.
Or you can use the mechanical pencil, and then seal the writing in with die hardner.

I used to write pan numbers real small and neat on all my dies and seal it in with die hardner.

Oh and I have an awesome 7 year pen always on me. It's spose to write a meter a day for 7 years. It was a gift, but damn that thing holds up...

Thedentureman

Thedentureman

Reaction score
What are you soaking it in?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
You can use these to write on models, get wet then rinse, the marking will stay on for years, I haven't had design transfer to acrylic but after I rinse I will dry model at 200*f 3-5 min and paint on a coating of DVA acrylic separator.
I usually waxup a denture then at processing time the wax separates with no model penetration and with processing acrylic is clean & separates well. For repairs I can paint acrylic on separator with nice results.
Pencils (note blick nails you for around $9. usa shipping, order appropriate and you can make out well)

google Derwent Inktense Pencils or Derwent Inktense Pencil - Outliner for around $1.80 ea I use Blick art supplies but the editor will not allow their web name to be posted.

Separator Denture & Ortho Products | Dental Ventures

If you like to doodle (I do) here is an interesting article bout this versitle ink pencil.
http://robertsloan2.hubpages.com/hub/Secrets-for-Using-Derwent-Inktense-Colored-Pencils
Once wet, the color of the inktense pencils becomes very vivid and is most similar to the bright vivid colors of ink rather than watercolor. & permanent. This is just a wet & dry example of colors.
awww.wetcanvas.com_Community_images_22_Nov_2009_90309_der_ink_chart_1_new.jpg
awww.wetcanvas.com_Community_images_22_Nov_2009_90309_der_ink_chart_2_new.jpg
awww.wetcanvas.com_Community_images_22_Nov_2009_90309_der_ink_chart_1_new.jpg awww.wetcanvas.com_Community_images_22_Nov_2009_90309_der_ink_chart_2_new.jpg

Last edited:
L

lia

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I will try and let you know what worked

ortho artist

ortho artist

Reaction score
We use a sharpie for names & a plain old stupid lead pencil to mark wire or acrylic lines on palate or teeth. Separator keeps pencil out of acrylic. Yes, the pencil comes off when we scrub the model to return with appliance--we want it to be clean. The sharpie stays put. I didn't know we were so cheap not having fancy ink pencils with sealer. :noidea:

F

findadentist

Reaction score
What is the best option wire braces and invisalign? Is there any side effect of using wire braces?

D

Douglas Bogle

Reaction score
No there is no problem in using wire braces as they are the most prominent method for braces. Orthodontics in Auckland has been using wire braces since starting and are the most successful technique.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
What is the best option wire braces and invisalign? Is there any side effect of using wire braces?
I don't know, but I was told by professionals that I work with that invisilign isn't as desirable compared to traditional braces. So they fitted me with traditional braces with ceramic brackets.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
WOW..thats a big can of worms.....
Both have their place and I have heard some big claims with aligners..but seen some lousy results, I have also seen some really great results with aligners.
Aligners are *really* dependant on case selection and patient cooperation...and lots of other stuff too but mainly those two.

That being said I have seen lousy results with braces too, and many, many magnificent results.

So..in the right operators hands both have their places.

Orthodontic diagnosis first, then selection of treatment modality, then probably a compromise if the patient chooses!

D

Daymon Capers

Reaction score
Wow..!! that's really great work. Thank you for this information. Keep it up.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I inquired about my old casts that I poured prior to being fitted with braces. The orthodontist still has em in his closet. When I am done with ortho, I'll pour the casts and build myself some clear Essex retainers. And then photograph the before and after casts. I have had braces for 8 months and am almost done. My stuff moved FAST. I have almost great looking teeth now. It's nice. All for free cause I am a bad ass. :)

E

Ethan_Coddie

Reaction score
I use Invisalign and it is effective for mild to moderate crowding and alignment cases.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I don't know, but I was told by professionals that I work with that invisilign isn't as desirable compared to traditional braces. So they fitted me with traditional braces with ceramic brackets.
If your mouth needs minor adjusting invisoline works fine if you have to move or rotate teeth you need brackets.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I had to do a labial bow freehand today that was kindof fun.

D

dental101

Reaction score
A fine point sharpie would be great if you want to write neatly on a stone. Another option would be a mechanical pencil.