Origin Intelligence(Exocad) Impression Scanning Results

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I finally tried impression scanning with my Exocad based Origin Intelligence. I must say I was extremely surprised and impressed. I definitely realize this will only be usable for about 40% of my CAD cases but still its a start. Here are images of the impression after scanning as well as a posterior crown design and the printed wax crown(***) on the die after model work was completed. You will probably notice the impression scan I am showing does not match the crown I did. I did two cases this way and seem to have uploaded the wrong images for the crown I did. It is the right CAD design file image, just the wrong impression that was scanned. I did design that one also I just have not received the wax crown yet, Lots of images to show the fit. A few spots open on the margin but still pretty good over all.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__RR18PgyeKGM_Tr18Uc8nzhI_AAAAAAAAGU90a0ce3266df046119d6d711573d9d24.png
alh4.googleusercontent.com__SWxpavr0n7s_Tr18UCwmiEI_AAAAAAAAGTc72315cb09f58286698558070ebb2657.png
alh5.googleusercontent.com__Qgh7wDxZmCY_Tr18UfACn9I_AAAAAAAAGU2e02a36f25b8e18601680f4ca08e41c2.png
alh4.googleusercontent.com__QoE1YrEqVwI_Tr18U8q3NiI_AAAAAAAAGU79b80f1465d746383da7ddc1187f915f.png
alh5.googleusercontent.com__Zxg6CV_Vyqg_Tr2Pmo4JT_I_AAAAAAAAGVI_C9N681Nnaps_s912_IMG_2732.jpg
alh3.googleusercontent.com__hwzkg_WOvN0_Tr2PnnA_HdI_AAAAAAAAGVQ_fTpybWWMPLk_s912_IMG_2733.jpg
alh5.googleusercontent.com__bwavS8_CWJQ_Tr2Po2U8ctI_AAAAAAAAGVY_SSNV1Ddf894_s912_IMG_2734.jpg
alh6.googleusercontent.com__Cd1gbnp8D7s_Tr2PvKuw1sI_AAAAAAAAGV8_pGcGTJQeKnA_s912_IMG_2738.jpg
alh6.googleusercontent.com__YKXRAlXFsto_Tr2PwJfY1WI_AAAAAAAAGWE_PcnVr6OTO4s_s912_IMG_2739.jpg
alh3.googleusercontent.com__z_7I608uggE_Tr2PxLN1luI_AAAAAAAAGWM_L9yOIu1Bwf0_s912_IMG_2740.jpg
alh3.googleusercontent.com__xbJjFcuSW3o_Tr2PyE_97wI_AAAAAAAAGWU_mn6j0wk1Llk_s912_IMG_2741.jpg
alh3.googleusercontent.com__pD0skfe1SeM_Tr2PzHEVIwI_AAAAAAAAGWg_yOgeM_X_uc4_s912_IMG_2742.jpg
alh6.googleusercontent.com__RR18PgyeKGM_Tr18Uc8nzhI_AAAAAAAAGU90a0ce3266df046119d6d711573d9d24.png alh4.googleusercontent.com__SWxpavr0n7s_Tr18UCwmiEI_AAAAAAAAGTc72315cb09f58286698558070ebb2657.png alh5.googleusercontent.com__Qgh7wDxZmCY_Tr18UfACn9I_AAAAAAAAGU2e02a36f25b8e18601680f4ca08e41c2.png alh4.googleusercontent.com__QoE1YrEqVwI_Tr18U8q3NiI_AAAAAAAAGU79b80f1465d746383da7ddc1187f915f.png alh5.googleusercontent.com__Zxg6CV_Vyqg_Tr2Pmo4JT_I_AAAAAAAAGVI_C9N681Nnaps_s912_IMG_2732.jpg alh3.googleusercontent.com__hwzkg_WOvN0_Tr2PnnA_HdI_AAAAAAAAGVQ_fTpybWWMPLk_s912_IMG_2733.jpg alh5.googleusercontent.com__bwavS8_CWJQ_Tr2Po2U8ctI_AAAAAAAAGVY_SSNV1Ddf894_s912_IMG_2734.jpg alh6.googleusercontent.com__Cd1gbnp8D7s_Tr2PvKuw1sI_AAAAAAAAGV8_pGcGTJQeKnA_s912_IMG_2738.jpg alh6.googleusercontent.com__YKXRAlXFsto_Tr2PwJfY1WI_AAAAAAAAGWE_PcnVr6OTO4s_s912_IMG_2739.jpg alh3.googleusercontent.com__z_7I608uggE_Tr2PxLN1luI_AAAAAAAAGWM_L9yOIu1Bwf0_s912_IMG_2740.jpg alh3.googleusercontent.com__xbJjFcuSW3o_Tr2PyE_97wI_AAAAAAAAGWU_mn6j0wk1Llk_s912_IMG_2741.jpg alh3.googleusercontent.com__pD0skfe1SeM_Tr2PzHEVIwI_AAAAAAAAGWg_yOgeM_X_uc4_s912_IMG_2742.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
By the way, the wax printed crown is accurate to the margin I picked on the impression. There were a few areas that slightly softened during the scan so I miss picked my margin a little. I still think it was good for my 1st try. I will post the actual images of the correct impression scan Monday when I get back to the Lab. Better way for you all to judge the outcome.

You also HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU PICK "REVERSE NORMAL"!!! before finishing the project. If not, it will read it inverted in the CAD system. Yeah........I did that........

Also make sure you get a good scan of the buccal and lingual aspects of the impression itself for referencing the upper and lower impression scans together.

Make sure when selecting the teeth to be scanned on the impression in the beginning that you make the circles as big as you can over each tooth selection position. You use the scroll wheel on the mouse to enlarge or shrink the scan area circle. I wish it gave you the free scan option at this point but it does not. I spoke with one of the tech support guys and he said he would pass it on to the developers. I also mentioned mirroring the slot on the impression holder so you can just flip it without having to take the impression out and flip it itself.

When cutting the impression scan, cut off whichever arch you are not working with. You can then flip the scan over and cut the convex side and also it keeps you from accidentally cutting away the other arch.

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
No scan spray on the correct one either;) It read it just fine. I did one add scan. Could have done more but trying to see how it would do. I also did not fill holes. So I could have made a completely solid model if I wanted. White Light;)

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
OK, but I'd you are scanning the impression and still have to do the model work.....why not just scan the model? How is it advantageous unless you can do it without models? Rob

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
What I do not like is the lack of import into the CAD program. You have to physically drag and drop the impression scans into the CAD folder for that patient. Than you have to rename the scans. Example: if the patients name is Nicely;) you have to change each scan arch to, Nicely-upperjaw, Nicely-lowerjaw. Than the CAD program will open it as a usable scan to design on. I should probably explain why. You have to do the impression scanning with a program other than Exocad. The program that runs the scanner, the name eludes me for some reason, controls this. They are working on the software, so it will import the scan data the same as it does for a solid model scan. No biggie but still an extra unnecessary step.

ice_pascu

ice_pascu

Reaction score
Can the program for the scanner be used on dental wings scanner?nice if is posibile

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
OK, but I'd you are scanning the impression and still have to do the model work.....why not just scan the model? How is it advantageous unless you can do it without models? Rob

I see what your saying but my die stone takes about 45 minutes before I can start to do anything with it. In that time, I could have 2 impressions scanned, crowns designed and sent off to a wax printer or if you have done enough testing, a milling unit. Then I can send impressions to the model dept to be completed. By the time they are finished and die is trimmed etc, you could just about have the full contour wax restoration ready to check on the model before investing. If your parameters are dialed in and your good with margin selection, you could go ahead and have an Emax CAD or bruxzir unit going. I see possibilities. I would personally have to do a lot of testing before I ever thought about moving from wax to a Emax CAD or Bruxzir unit. Especially a finished crown without a model to go back too. Its coming though;)

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
OK, Thanks, I can see where that does make some sense.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Can the program for the scanner be used on dental wings scanner?nice if is posibile

I don't think so. The software( finally came to me) is identica. They make the scanner itself if I am not mistaken. It is actually used for all the scanning and then imports the scans into the exocad design system. Everything is seamlessly
Tied together except impression scanning. You have to port that yourself for now.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have done several more cases with a lot of success. Still not doing anything permanent. Just wax or pmma but I can see it being a real time saver. I still do not see being able to use it on more than about 20% of my cases. Anybody else doing it?

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
Very nice presentation jason, with photos of your work, great ! :)
I like very much !
Whith Exocad I use the 3D mouse, I save time, 30% ..
Two mouses, one in my left hand (3D) and the other in my right hand ...

awww.3dconnexion.fr_uploads_pics_tx_iccshop_2e33b008_8302_4f6c_9d64_4b75388b9d34.png
awww.3dconnexion.fr_uploads_pics_tx_iccshop_2e33b008_8302_4f6c_9d64_4b75388b9d34.png

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
i use that with my 3 shape. i love it.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I was looking at that mouse the awhile back to use with a program called Blender. I will check it out. I was also thinking about one of these.
awww.logitech.com_assets_14756_14756.png
awww.logitech.com_assets_14756_14756.png

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
QUOTE=NicelyMKV;53022]I have done several more cases with a lot of success. Still not doing anything permanent. Just wax or pmma but I can see it being a real time saver. I still do not see being able to use it on more than about 20% of my cases. Anybody else doing it?[/QUOTE]

I just started at an in-house lab. He is just setting up a new Origin, Exocad and Roland. The dr. wants to do use all impression scans. Are you saying that you will only be able to use this method 20 percent of the time because you may not always obtain good scans?
I think what I will find out is that the scanner is doing what it can do. The current limitations lie within the bounds of physics. I have to modify the impressions and dr's prepping and impression taking to accommodate those limitations.
Capture.jpg

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
View attachment 2763

I just started at an in-house lab. He is just setting up a new Origin, Exocad and Roland. The dr. wants to do use all impression scans. We scanned some today, but I am not too pleased. And are you saying that you will only be able to use this method 20 percent of the time because you may not always obtain good scans?

It's more about good visible margins. If your docs pack cord and take good impressions you should be ok.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
I feel bad. I just found out that as we are getting this thing up and running, we were having camera and calibration issues which surely caused some of the missing data. I am going to do some more testing before talking about a product/

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you tried using this impression scanning for post and cores?

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
This looks like fun, I have seen an invert option for the bite reg on Exo so will give it a try and see if it works for us. I think if I can invert the impression scan then dump it back into exo as a new job, OK off to try wish me luck.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
K2, I used the software that came with my scanner. There is supposed to be added removable die model production at some point soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Hi Jason, really nice post here, I had the idea about scanning impressions were flying pigs, did you get the Impression scanning capability (requires purchase of impression holder - $300)?