Open source Milling Units

J

johnwyork

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of open source milling units coming out soon?

Thanks!

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
You mean open architecture, no ? AFAIK there's no open source mill out there, except in the DIY circles...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
What's up with the ones out now, loads of units take .stl files. I would be more happy running with a system with a proven track record and dependable software than a new mill full of teething problems. Look at software manufacturers home pages and see what systems they partner up with then come back and see what peoples feedback is. Hyperdent, sum3d, exocam, just a few to look at........

J

johnwyork

Reaction score
I'm in the states and all we have are E4D and Cerec.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I'm in the states and all we have are E4D and Cerec.

I'm in the States and beg to differ. Tons of options besides the chair side shysters. Search the forums.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
The states has access to the widest range of open machines and cam systems possible.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of open source milling units coming out soon?

Thanks!

The next hot mill to come out is the imes-icore 250,, 5 axis with wet option included

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Charles, you have not seen mine yet.

It is now closer to 300lbs and cheaper, with parts and service in the US.

More range of motion and more tools. VERY soon!

Multiple fixturing and even custom fixturing with full CAM support for all materials.

You go buy the imes, then we compare soon.

Scott

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Roland offers a completely open 5 axis mill for wax, zirconia and PMMA (acrylic). They DWX-50 works with all major open CAM software, scanners and CAD software including SUM3D, 3Shape, Exocad, Medit, DelCAM, etc.

Click the image in my signature to visit our website. If you have any questions or if you would like to talk to an authorized reseller in the US send me a PM.

-Glenn

T

thedaveinboise

Reaction score
Roland offers a completely open 5 axis mill for wax, zirconia and PMMA (acrylic). They DWX-50 works with all major open CAM software, scanners and CAD software including SUM3D, 3Shape, Exocad, Medit, DelCAM, etc.

Click the image in my signature to visit our website. If you have any questions or if you would like to talk to an authorized reseller in the US send me a PM.

-Glenn
Glenn, quick question for you. My reseller of our DWX50 can't seem to answer my question, but here it goes. We are moving the mill to a different room in the lab but want to keep computers and scanner in same spot. Problem is the USB cable for the Roland that is connected to our CAM computer. Is the USB cable Roland specific? Need about 50 feet to run cable through ceiling to milling room. What are my options? Thanks.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Setup a PC to drive the mill (a cheapo low end will do just fine),hook up everything into a network via cables or wifi... enable remote access and command it with the CAM pc....

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Setup a PC to drive the mill (a cheapo low end will do just fine),hook up everything into a network via cables or wifi... enable remote access and command it with the CAM pc....
Either Zero Zeros, way and the max usb length possible is 15' NO more, you will see data drop and the mill will go bonkers.

But in the end you still need to be by the mill to change the disk, what are you going to walk 50' every time you need to change the disk? Simple and sweet is the key.

J

johnwyork

Reaction score
Glenn, quick question for you. My reseller of our DWX50 can't seem to answer my question, but here it goes. We are moving the mill to a different room in the lab but want to keep computers and scanner in same spot. Problem is the USB cable for the Roland that is connected to our CAM computer. Is the USB cable Roland specific? Need about 50 feet to run cable through ceiling to milling room. What are my options? Thanks.
The cable probably is a crossover USB cable - most are whenever you connect a computer to another piece of equipment without a router in between.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
The next hot mill to come out is the imes-icore 250,, 5 axis with wet option included
We have one here at CAP. Will have one at Colaboration at The Greater NY show right after Thanksgiving. It's looking awesome for milling sintered ceramics. also mills all the soft stuff. Mill alone is running under $40K.
You can see it in action here:

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score

As the others mentioned, plan to have a simple, low cost computer near the mill the stream data to the mill. You can use another PC to generate the tool paths and then transfer the file to the computer next to the mill.

Changing the cable, adding length, hubs, etc. will cause communication problems between the mill and the PC.

Please visit the support page on our website if you would like to review the set up and user manuals that are included with the DWX mill:
http://support.rolanddga.com/_layouts/rolandreports/_productsupportsearch.aspx?pf=Milling