Open CAM discussion....

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Don't know any current CAM software that doesn't save the shrinkage factor(s) along with the stock when first created. In other words, if the anisotropy is significant there's no way to compensate for it with the current CAM offerings (even if the stock manufacturer would supply such information.)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Metacut® Utilities turns g-code back into a solid.

You can verify your CAD and CAM on simulation.

The MetaCut Utilities - In a nutshell

Sometimes, I get a gouge or small ring around the occlusal with 2mm bur doing finishing zig-zag. I do not get it with a 1mm bur on next zig-zag at 90 degrees different angle. I need to find the Metecut people and see if the g-code is actualy telling my mill to cut the gouge.

Anyway.....this is a GREAT link I just found. Nice free info right from the experts in CNC applications.

CNC - Haas Automation, Inc. - Solutions-Applications 3D

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I think I see an option for metacut to export in stl,

You can then overlay your original stl and the CAM output conversion back into stl and see what a mess you have made of original file. LOL

Anyone, like me, trying to go the full blown open solution needs software such as this to help self-diagnose WTF is going on. Really can break down your milling into awesome visual aid to see the g-code commands sent to the mill. Helps determin if feed is too fast, or problem with file, or ??

Mitch from Diadem, what say you on the subject??

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
I need to find the Metecut people and see if the g-code is actualy telling my mill to cut the gouge.

If not that, then what? The mill isn't going to do anything that your g-code isn't telling it to. There's probably a safe-Z in between segments that you're missing somewhere.

I wrote some java objects when I was back at Issaquah that turned g-code into a series of line objects that Rhino could then be told to replicate via the _lines command in a text file. Didn't give the part as an object ( I never got into the math of applying the geometry of the tools to the reverse-engineered toolpaths, ) but it was...a fun exercise, especially for checking stepovers and stepdowns of various solutions.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Well, been looking at every parameter.

There is no Z-retract when doing the zig-zag pass during finishing.

We have an "overlap z- value" which I guess is the portion of the zig-zag that overlaps the previous Z-step spiral just before with the same tool, in same "group of instructions...."Normal" final finishing Z-step milling with spiral uni-directional, then a single zig-zag on the top. (Bruxzir strategy for us). Then we have another Zig-Zag with smaller bur at 90 degrees to first finishing zig-zag. (in attemp to get better secondary anatomy w/full anatomy stuff)

I think we have the G-code telling the mill to change directions in too few of blocks.

Jay, are you familar with the limited set of instructions you can send to the PowerMill vs/Beckhoff in the 3M world? (Plus, stupid bar-code milling)

We are limited to only either Six or Seven sets of tools, or whatever you call those "groups" of instructions.

I can't wait to get mt Haas, so we can do whatever we want.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I think I am getting Z-axis "bounce"

Something I just made-up when you are changing directions of milling more than 90degrees in one single block at too fast of a feed (180 degrees in my case)? Jay, help me out here.

I am a noob to this CNC programming, but give me a month! LOL

One of my little brothers works at IBM in NC. (Programmer) He was on the "Java" team.
Has a few patents. I'd love to see what you have! Thomas Randall Hudson Jr - Inventor Patent Directory, Page 1

Last edited:
JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
I'm assuming we're talking about the lava machines here.

I think we have the G-code telling the mill to change directions in too few of blocks. ...<snip>...Something I just made-up when you are changing directions of milling more than 90degrees in one single block at too fast of a feed (180 degrees in my case)? Jay, help me out here.

As long as your post includes a G09 at the front of the program, the controller will adjust the feed rate at various directional changes to ensure that physics don't interfere with part production. The function is called "look ahead". So, if you've got a G09 in there, I don't think that's an issue unless you have a mechanical fault in the axis itself.

Jay, are you familar with the limited set of instructions you can send to the PowerMill vs/Beckhoff in the 3M world? (Plus, stupid bar-code milling)

We are limited to only either Six or Seven sets of tools, or whatever you call those "groups" of instructions.
Not sure what you're referring to there Scott. Powermill/Beckhoff is like apples/mitochondria. The Beckhoff understands a custom set of M commands that you can include in your nc programs via the post.

When you say, "tools" I think of carbide, ball-nosed, 1mm diameter, etc... I don't know why you would be limited or to what limitatation you're referring.

You have a complete copy of PowerMill along with DentMill? If so, look at the section called, "leads and links".

Last edited:
Top Bottom