One peice chrome cobolt abutments

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Any one doing these routinely with systems like medentibase or Renishaw laser abutments?

I'm looking to try one piece designs with direct ceramic build up as I'm tired of sticking units to ti interfaces. But if the interface is in chrome cobolt and given past experience of trialling slm chrome cobolt and the horrid oxide that it produces, doesn't the oxide and subsequent cleaning completely screw the interface?

maybe the medentibase approach produces less issue then slm as the interface is pre milled and not slm?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
SLM is not accurate enough for implant connections, if it were the implant companies would use SLM rather than milling.
Why not just have a solid abutment milled from chrome cobalt? I'm assuming you don't want solid titanium because
you are firing porcelain directly to the abutment for screw retained crowns?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
As far as i understand the way the Renishaw laser abutments work is the interface is sintered as a block and then milled afterwards.
where as medentibase is a pre milled base from conventionally produced chrome cobolt (ie solid disk)

yep titanium is no good as id prefer to build directly for screw retained and stop using these bloddy bases.

either way I'm guessing they both produce a bunch of oxide

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
just order some opacious cement and do custom abutments.

No metal shall enter my furnace ever again:artist.png:

P

paulg100

Reaction score
have been doing most screw retained units with emax on links the last few years but all ceramics on links is **** or bust, if a contact is off or shades wrong then theres no way to salvage the interface or crown without destroying the crown. you guys must be having these issues as well?

eitherway I still got clients wanting screw retained metal crowns but don't wanna pay for UCLAs.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
have been doing most screw retained units with emax on links the last few years but all ceramics on links is **** or bust, if a contact is off or shades wrong then theres no way to salvage the interface or crown without destroying the crown. you guys must be having these issues as well?

eitherway I still got clients wanting screw retained metal crowns but don't wanna pay for UCLAs.
emax ceram on zirconia here. Never an issue if decementaion is required.

Why should I have to work wearing handcuffs if the goal is to make the patient happy?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
yeah I was planning on switching to zr tops instead of using emax as pressed emax never really fits well enough on links.

emax also cracks due to cement expension when I try to get the crown off after leaving the job in furnace at idle temp. does this not happen with zr?

I was hoping to find a cost effective way that stills produces a quality result but saves me the time of cementing tops to links but I'm getting the feeling I might be asking to much. going to give one of these laser abutments a try and hope for the best I think,

"Why should I have to work wearing handcuffs if the goal is to make the patient happy?"
in an ideal world we wouldn't but that's not the real world for most is it!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
zirconia is your friend and will survive your furnace .That is my point when talking about handcuffs.
The real world runs on time. Time can be your enemy or you can control it by using materials that will ensure the patient is out the door on time....like when you need to add that contact because the chairside temp was too big and the patient has a wedding tomorrow.
I'll take zirconia and gc over emax on an abutment anyday.

time after time

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
why dont you make a pfm and cement it to the ti base screw retained. we have plenty of clients doing this - I have a 2mb powerpoint from a lab that does this with step by step email me at [email protected] and I can send this to you

We also have chrome cobalt bases $45 each engaging and non engaging and can send you info instruction for use and what materials it will work with if this can help

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
yeah I was planning on switching to zr tops instead of using emax as pressed emax never really fits well enough on links.

emax also cracks due to cement expension when I try to get the crown off after leaving the job in furnace at idle temp. does this not happen with zr?

I was hoping to find a cost effective way that stills produces a quality result but saves me the time of cementing tops to links but I'm getting the feeling I might be asking to much. going to give one of these laser abutments a try and hope for the best I think,

"Why should I have to work wearing handcuffs if the goal is to make the patient happy?"
in an ideal world we wouldn't but that's not the real world for most is it!
Where have you been for the last few years? Good to have you back!

P

paulg100

Reaction score
that's what I'm doing dess, I thought using a piece would save the time of cementing ti bases and make it easier to make adjustments after try-in if required but it seems to me that having a chrome cobolt interface that will oxidize in the furnace dosent make a lot of sense. I have a single unit here which I'm going to try the Renishaw laser abutments with, lets see what happens... ill report back

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Hi Rob, busy few years mate, nice to see a bunch of familiar faces still here!

Got assimilated by the facebook borg and realised what a trolling, impersonal and mostly irrelevant social network it is, Won a bunch of awards, including aesthetic technician of the year 2016, did a clinical diploma to also work as a denturist, started my own lab, got burnt out and nearly left the industry... got me self back together and trying to reintegrate into society again :)

and finally..FINALLY I bought a scanner! after several years of no cad/cam following the abysmal sirona experience I had years back. got a medit t500 installed last week.

RKM, I didn't have a scanner so doing zirconia was just a hassle as had to hand wax everything to get sensible designs so most of the work id already done, just made more sense to press in emax until now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom