One computer for cad and cam

J

John C

Reaction score
I'm in negotiations to buy a used mill from an authorized mill reseller(another customer is upgrading) but just found out that no pc or laptop is included with the mill and software package. The reseller says I should be able to use the same computer that my exocad and scanner are running on. This would be my first mill so I'm not sure what to think. Should they be separate? Also the mill won't be near the scan and design system. What are your expert opinions?

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
They usually are separate as it takes a lot of computing power to design and nest your mill. I have always been told to have them separate actually. I would also find out how much your mill software will be as if can get pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

John C

Reaction score
The mill software price has already been dicussed so no surprises there and yes it's pretty expensive, but it is good software. But as you said I'm afraid that the computer running my cad software won't be sufficient for running both cad and cam. Also for about $6000. more I can get a new mill instead of used and it does include it's own computer. I haven't signed a lease yet so I'm second guessing this deal.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
The mill software price has already been dicussed so no surprises there and yes it's pretty expensive, but it is good software. But as you said I'm afraid that the computer running my cad software won't be sufficient for running both cad and cam. Also for about $6000. more I can get a new mill instead of used and it does include it's own computer. I haven't signed a lease yet so I'm second guessing this deal.
"I think deep down you already know what the answer is !":rolleyes:

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I run separate on all. But the cam software runs better on a xenon processor. Calculates faster. Also I have all my stl file exported directly to my cam pc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk