Occlusal splint shattered like a car windshield. What's up?

D

ddsTech

Reaction score
I made this splint 2 years ago using Biocryl Ice from Great Lakes Orthodontics. It now looks like a car windshield that's been shattered into a million pieces. The only information given to me was that the patient claims she only brushed it with toothpaste and never soaked it in anything. The Dr. is thinking defective materials. If that were the case, I'd think there would be a ton of returned splints with this problem, but this is the first. My suspicion is that she's been soaking it in alcohol or some other alcohol-containing disinfectant.

Have any of you folks seen this or have any clues what caused this? 32808

Thanks for your help.

Mark

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Two years?...this may sound crazy but I think it looks great!!! I have very severe bruxism patients, they wear them out every three months. I usually make four of them for a year supply. It is what it is...I don't own their problems, I just try to protect what they currently have...that's exactly what that appliance has done. Make a new one, charge accordingly, educate the patient the causes of Bruxism and that she may wear the next one out even sooner. Feel free to disagree with me.

P.S. Research does show a heat cure orthotic appliance will hold up much better than cold cure (which Biocryl Ice is, if my memory hasn't failed me).

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
2years is probably the max for an all acrylic splint. I have seen acrylics shatter.like that with some types of solvents. Probably just dried out from air(not soaking) and just.dropped it one time too many.

R

roberthobbs

Reaction score
I mill them, there are materials available for milling that cant be processed in traditional ways, for example, ZirkonZahn make a clear PMMA type material called Therapon, its made for exactly these things. Its slightly flexible so does not shatter like normal heat or cold cure acrylic has antiplaque and bacterial properties, very nice stuff!

D

ddsTech

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I totally agree that 2 years is a pretty good run for a splint. It's just odd that we haven't seen this before... unless they just aren't telling me about it. It's always good to know if there's a specific, avoidable cause.
Regarding heat cure vs cold cure, I've only used cold cure and have had great results. For the heat cured acrylics, do you always have to invest and boil out like with denture resin, or is there a faster method? Any resin suggestions?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
its thin in the areas that it broke its 2 years old and they brux the only way to make this last longer is to make it out of crco

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
its thin in the areas that it broke its 2 years old and they brux the only way to make this last longer is to make it out of crco
You ever done one?...I always wanted to but never got around to it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Given the pt admitted to never putting it in water that longevity is expected. The shatrer safety glass style is from it being well constructed to receive uniform force and the poor maintenance weaking all the acrylic.

on top of the pt having a wild bite force from bruxercising their muscles.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
You ever done one?...I always wanted to but never got around to it.
no but i want to do one also, probably with the ability to mill crco it would awesome.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I made this splint 2 years ago using Biocryl Ice from Great Lakes Orthodontics. It now looks like a car windshield that's been shattered into a million pieces. The only information given to me was that the patient claims she only brushed it with toothpaste and never soaked it in anything. The Dr. is thinking defective materials. If that were the case, I'd think there would be a ton of returned splints with this problem, but this is the first. My suspicion is that she's been soaking it in alcohol or some other alcohol-containing disinfectant.

Have any of you folks seen this or have any clues what caused this? View attachment 32808

Thanks for your help.

Mark
If you look at the edge where it is broken, it looks very thin. If it was made like that or the dentist adjusted it too thin or in 2 years it is worn out , that is not your problem. These things were not meant to last for ever. Need more pictures to determine other issues.

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
My standard reply is that if you want something that lasts forever, buy a diamond, not a 1.5mm thick piece of plastic!

Top Bottom