occlusal interference

S

skytrain555

Reaction score
Good morning all. I have a design that has an upper prosthesis to a lower antagonist. Articulator used to decrease VDO -4mm. The design continues to show heaving occlusion although there is no visible contact with the antagonist. Thoughts? I've created new scenes using the stl files but the heavy occlusion is still an issue.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
If I understand correctly you are using 3Shape and after changing the VDO within the software it continues to do occlusal marking as though nothing changed? If that is correct it is an issue I have encountered. I elevated it to 3Shape and got know where with it. There are some ways to avoid it, but to my knowledge there is not a fix

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with 3shape...using the virtual articulator. For some reason it wouldnt work, even when I decreased the vdo as well. Not sure, may be a big in the software I suspect....either way, it's annoying, I like to equilibrate the occlusion virtually so I don't have too manually.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you said Scenes so i am suspecting exocad, are these scans in the correct bite or were they 4mm open and you closed them with the virtual articulator?

S

skytrain555

Reaction score
If I understand correctly you are using 3Shape and after changing the VDO within the software it continues to do occlusal marking as though nothing changed? If that is correct it is an issue I have encountered. I elevated it to 3Shape and got know where with it. There are some ways to avoid it, but to my knowledge there is not a fix
This is when using EXOCAD, but yes to the information.

S

skytrain555

Reaction score
you said Scenes so i am suspecting exocad, are these scans in the correct bite or were they 4mm open and you closed them with the virtual articulator?
Everything is scanned in and loaded correctly. Even if I bring in the files into a new scene without articulating it, I have excessive contact even though nothing is close enough to make contact. Even if I delete the antagonist file, no change.

S

skytrain555

Reaction score
I had the same problem with 3shape...using the virtual articulator. For some reason it wouldnt work, even when I decreased the vdo as well. Not sure, may be a big in the software I suspect....either way, it's annoying, I like to equilibrate the occlusion virtually so I don't have too manually.
I was wondering the same thing.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
ok so instead of duplicating the case, make a new one and set up the articulator again. i think the articulator saved from scene to scene.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive never heard of reducing vdo 4mm.. that seems excessive. Was it just scanned with an open bite and youre closing it? I guess I dont understand this.

S

skytrain555

Reaction score
Ive never heard of reducing vdo 4mm.. that seems excessive. Was it just scanned with an open bite and youre closing it? I guess I dont understand this.
We do all on 4 procedures only. so there is bone reduction in addition with removing all of the natural teeth. Also, the software doesnt adjust the VDO in true measurements. So a VDO closure of 1 mm would need to be closed 3mm to see the true 1mm adjustment.. I got it all figured out though.. Thank you.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I understand closing VDO because of bone reduction, but Im not sure closing a hinge 4mm on a virtual articulator is the way to do it, with any accuracy. Like you said its not a true measurement, but I guess if youre going to an interim, you can get a better bite from there.

Top Bottom