NTI Help!

F

fishbowl

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am having issues with my NTI fabrication, I am having reports of low retention, though I am blocking out minimally. And by minimally I mean I'm breaking teeth off the working model, just about every time.

My appliances seem to be fitting adequately, (sometimes very tight) and 'snap' on a duplicate model before I ship them out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solutions?

Perhaps I should try different acrylics, like Variflex? Try making a thermoflex NTI?

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
A little late, or hope this helps

When we first started doing NTI's, Dr. would take an impression, then I'd mounted on a relined jig and then reline-cold cure . Like you, most the time the teeth would break off when separating, which would indicate plenty of retention. Unfortunately, when delivered the retention had taken a hike.

Now, they are done directly in the mouth, trimmed, and delivered with retention. Not cold cure, but with "Snap"

Go figure!

not a solution really . . . . . .

V

vkorthotech

Reaction score
You should use a small round bur about the size of .028 ball clasp and make a small divot in the embrasure to act like a ball clasp. This also helps when fabricating vacuum formed retainers where the patient has no retention.

F

fishbowl

Reaction score
A little late, or hope this helps

When we first started doing NTI's, Dr. would take an impression, then I'd mounted on a relined jig and then reline-cold cure . Like you, most the time the teeth would break off when separating, which would indicate plenty of retention. Unfortunately, when delivered the retention had taken a hike.

Now, they are done directly in the mouth, trimmed, and delivered with retention. Not cold cure, but with "Snap"

Go figure!

not a solution really . . . . . .
Thank you for your reply regardless!

F

fishbowl

Reaction score
You should use a small round bur about the size of .028 ball clasp and make a small divot in the embrasure to act like a ball clasp. This also helps when fabricating vacuum formed retainers where the patient has no retention.
I will give that a try, thank you!