NP alloy recomendations?

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
My now passed away father in law worked on the Manhattan project. When he heard that I was using an alloy with Beryllium back in the early 80's he about freaked! He said that the worst thing you could do was to heat it up and melt it. Stopped using it then and haven't since. I used some nickle alloys but always had to explain to the Dr that he would have to inform his patients.....too much trouble. Settled on using SP alloys and on occasion I would use the Talladium Alloy if I absolutely had to use NP.
I've never heard that Palladium Chloride was at play in our alloys, but a good reference is Paul Cascone, Metallurgist for ARGEN (invented many of the Jelenko Alloys like Olympia)

Talladium contains Ni and also has Beryllium in it, that's what gives it the nice oxide colour.

I've tried Ni free alloys but had bonding problems even though the CTE matched the ceramic perfectly so I switched back to Ni/Cr.

I did have a flier from a UK supply company that has an alloy similar to Talladium (not sure if it contains Be) made by Albadent it also has small amounts on Ti like Talladium but was a little cheaper. I haven't tried it as yet as I don't currently use that supplier and I'm not really looking to expand my creditors list if I can help it.

pingvin

pingvin

Reaction score
We are not very advanced here in Slovenia I guess but I use CoCr without any problems. I never yet used any semi/precious alloy for ceramic. I use "Diostar". It is very hard (375 Hv) but I like it as dentists I work for do not really remove much of the tooth structure, so the frame is very thin (we are talking about incisal areas many times thinner then 0,2 mm, but on average 0,4 mm for bridges is a standard thickness).

This alloy can also be used for partials. But what is very important for me is the fact that we do a lot of combinations; metal ceramic, Bredent VKS and a partial. With this hardness it is basically impossible for the VKS head (ball) to loose it's shape and thin down as can happen with softer alloys. So it is a perfect alloy for me.

Noritake EX3 is a perfect match, also all Ivoclar ceramics (Dsign, Inline)... It is cheap, costs less then 200 EUR per Kg. I am buying it from Slovenian metal company "Zlatarna Celje", but I do not think they are manufacturing it. I assume Degudent is a manufacturer, but I can't find it on their web page. I think I saw it in one of their older catalogs under a different name.

Wak is 14,3 Specifications here:
ZC Aurodent

Shaun Keating

Shaun Keating

Reaction score
Rex 3 works great for us...we use it with Noritake EX3:)

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive been using RexIII since it came out. Love it!

Shaun Keating

Shaun Keating

Reaction score
We have used a lot RexCC.

I will not sell a PFM alloy with Beryllium or Nickle. I will not expose my techs to these metals.

I knew a one man lab/tech that died from beryllium exposure and it's not a good way to go. Especially just to make the alloy cast easier.

I used a lot of it back in the late 70's and 80's and hope that does not cause problems for me down the road.

You have to be kidding me Tom....your China techs work for a few dollars a day in some of the worst documented pollution, and air quality in the world:( And you're worried about Beryllium and Nickel exposure from the 70's.....get real dude, you're like 70yrs old and won't live that long anyways:p

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Who sells Rex 3 and would it work with inline?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Who sells Rex 3 and would it work with inline?

I order it through Zahn. 1-800-496-9500. I currently am using InLine with it and love it.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Base metals.......BLAHHH!!!!! Go with milled titanium if you want a non-precious alternative everything else is car bumper metal.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
NP alloy...Talladium makes NP alloys with different CTE'S to match just about any porcelain on the market.......

Our lab business has been casting Tilite from Talladium since 1985. Their research to substantiate the purity and health safety of their products is second to none. All FDA approved and ISO certified to import into Europe. No other base alloy touches it.

CTE's for all porcelains .......

any questions ??? Orr

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Our lab business has been casting Tilite from Talladium since 1985. Their research to substantiate the purity and health safety of their products is second to none. All FDA approved and ISO certified to import into Europe. No other base alloy touches it.

CTE's for all porcelains .......

any questions ??? Orr

Hi Bobby,

aren't all alloys ISO'd, FDA'd and CE'd that we are legally able to use? even the dreadful "yellow non precious" that's full of aluminium and copper?

I spent ages trying to find out what was in Talladium, their website is quite vague about the constituents, although I did eventually find a datasheet somewhere on the web and it looks like most NP on the market apart from a little titianium

It seems like with most things there is a fair amount of smoke and mirrors when it comes to alloys and bio compatibility, after all no manufacturer states this is potentially toxic on the packet even when the is research to suggest that some alloys aren't very nice (eg palladium & copper alloys)

anyway, not having a go, I'm just curious as to your thoughts on this?

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
You won't find out the formula for Tilite anymore than the Colonel's 11 herbs and spices.

I don't the regulations in the US.....however, in BC where I am licensed, the licensed technician is responsible for the materials they provide.... not the company selling you the materials.

Talladium has several independant research proving the biocompatibility of their alloy. Merely looking at the content doesn't conclude the compatibility. Most NP alloys are "car bumper" alloy processed. Tilite is not. It's purity is medical grade equivalent to heart by pass valves and hip joints.

Talladium also has a $5M insurance policy covering their materials and labs providing them. What other manufacturers provide that?

Not all alloys Base or Noble are FDA and/or ISO certified....I won't name the company(s) which aren't certified. That's their responsibility.

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
I see where talladium has a milling center and offer tilite alloy copings from it. Just wondering if anyone has tried them ?

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
You have to be kidding me Tom....your China techs work for a few dollars a day in some of the worst documented pollution, and air quality in the world:( And you're worried about Beryllium and Nickel exposure from the 70's.....get real dude, you're like 70yrs old and won't live that long anyways:p

I pray to accept the things I cannot change, have the courage to change the things I can and have the wisdom to know the difference.

It is posable to have age and little wisdom but the young have almost no chance at all.

RexCC works and I have been doing NP/PFMs with it for years.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Not all alloys Base or Noble are FDA and/or ISO certified....I won't name the company(s) which aren't certified. That's their responsibility.

If I doesn't have a FDA 510K number or is grandfathered it agenst the law to use it on a patient in the US.

S

side__kicker

Reaction score
NP Round Alloy

***edited***

This isnt for selling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom