non-heat cure acrylic terms help me understand

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So, we havd cold cure, self cure, dual cure, autopolymerizing and probably a few I left out.

'Kay, so dual cure is l/c and something else. Is there a variety of the 'something else'? What generally is the something else?

For the rest, autopolymerizers, cold-, and self-cure.

What is the diffference between these?
Can someone give product specific examples with the science lesson?

My understanding has been that all these were intended to be put in a waterbath, around 100-120F depending on particular material with pressure ranging from 115-140psi for best results. That they 'could' cure without this, but it was not as uniform in density, polymerization heat could lead to warping, etc.

My understanding was that the waterbath was both a heatsink to prevent runaway heat creating reactions from creating a shrink/pull in the material as it cures and to keep thin areas that may not generate enough heat from undercuring. Not a heat addition to procise the energy for it to cure like in heat cure, but mpre of a way to let the excess heat escape and homogenize the overal temperature. Which is why the temperature is different, but many are so close, the heat amount needed is fairly unform across all pmma blends.

But all pmma, I thought, could be cured intraoral or benchset cured, however it would be in general highly sub-optimal as it would be vastly more error prone especially as the size of the workpiece increased, and it would have residual monomer issues.

MMA materials -the pourables- have a different reaction, and they all need the waterbath to homogenize the temperature even more and the pressure to increase the density of the material. That I get.

But what of the PMMAs? Someone, please, beat me with a cluebat.

sorry for the errors in spelling. Fat thumbs and trying to type fast enough to get the thought out don't mix.

Last edited:
D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
I forgot to put one of my ‘pour’ dentures in the pot, till about 45 mins after I poured acrylic. Came out perfect.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I guess the natur-cryl pour is an MMA? It needs 45c to cure, I do my relines in a palamat for 30 mins. If you can get rid of any larger bubbles, its pretty sweet stuff, never porosity.

Top Bottom