Nobel zirconia abutment help

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I am about to do my first zirconia abutment with a new Dr, my first case... He has very high expectations, so i want to hit it out of the park..
I will be outsourcing the abutment, as i dont have a scanner..
My question is, with a custom abutment, can i waxup what i want, and send it to the lab for a scan, or is it only possible for the lab to design it on the computer?
I see that nobel has a waxing abutment, is this what i need? Any reccomendations for wax,etc?

Any help would be great, there isnt much info on the nobel site about it.

Thanks

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can wax it up yourself and send it to the lab to be scanned.
It's best to use the waxup sleeves from Nobel to do this.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Order yourself a plastic temporary abutment and modify it to your preferences and design.Send it on the model and have the cad guys make it the same way.In the future you can reuse the abutment a few times more for other cases.A little triad can extend it's life.

Implant Direct have cheaper temp abutments than Nobel so you can save a few bucks there.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies..

Im in switzerland, so i have no idea yet about where to send.. And i dont think i have the option of implant direct unfortunately, everything here is extremely expensive.. I imagine this abutment will cost 450-600+ chf...

I really need a scanner.... :)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You can always make your own with a plastic straw and light cure composite.

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
You can always make your own with a plastic straw and light cure composite.

It's not the same. If you get the Nobel waxup sleeve it has a little platform on it. The platform is the milling limitation. If you make your own you might not get back exactly what you wanted.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I make them all the time for my Picollo. Especially the Nobel Active platforms.I'll be damned to pay $80 for them!

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
I have the NobelProcera laser scanner so maybe it's different

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
What fixture is it? Is it a nobel fixture you will be restoring?

Depending on the case a cad abutment can be as good and will not cost you anything additional. The scanning lab can send you screen shots to show you exactly what the final abutment will look like before it goes to the mill

If you are sending the case out a wax up will allow you to be certain that its exactly the way you want it. It will not need the model work either as all the Nobel scanner both Touch and Optical will not use it.

Using the correct parts to fabricate the wax up abutment is more about transferring the internal/external connection to the cad design software as it compares to the scanning jig. The use of a temp eng plastic abutment is cost effective but truthfully anything you have in the lab the will engage the analog will allow you to transfer that information to the jig.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Yes it is for a nobel speedy implant, single central. I think i will do the waxup, cost is not an issue here as the dr/patient pay all of the material fees, seperate from the crown/model fees. I want to make sure there is little room for error on this first case and i dont know any of the outsource labs here.

The dr also wants to make a custom impression coping with composite added to maintain the emergence profile. Anyone have any experience with this technique? I thinking i will make an acrylic or composite temp, let the dr adjust or add where he feels it needs to be in the mouth, then attatch the temp to an analog, make putty matrix, remove temp, trim gin 1/3 of matrix, screw in impression coping to analog, add composite around imp. Coping to cover the socket, and make a margin where the intended emergence profile " border " is...

Any suggetions...

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
John Wilson is my Nobel guru...he's done me well over last couple years outsourcing to him.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yes it is for a nobel speedy implant, single central. I think i will do the waxup, cost is not an issue here as the dr/patient pay all of the material fees, seperate from the crown/model fees. I want to make sure there is little room for error on this first case and i dont know any of the outsource labs here.

The dr also wants to make a custom impression coping with composite added to maintain the emergence profile. Anyone have any experience with this technique? I thinking i will make an acrylic or composite temp, let the dr adjust or add where he feels it needs to be in the mouth, then attatch the temp to an analog, make putty matrix, remove temp, trim gin 1/3 of matrix, screw in impression coping to analog, add composite around imp. Coping to cover the socket, and make a margin where the intended emergence profile " border " is...

Any suggetions...

You mean a custom healing cap not an impression coping.From that you can replicate the contour for your custom temp abutment and crown.

Is it possible to make a one piece screw retained temp abutment and crown?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You mean a custom healing cap not an impression coping.From that you can replicate the contour for your custom temp abutment and crown.

Is it possible to make a one piece screw retained temp abutment and crown?

No, I mean a custom impression coping. The Dr wants to be able to take the impression without the tissue collapsing or changing shape. I have never done this before but I have found the technique documented a few places. I never really thought it was that much of a problem, but you know how some Drs can be.. I have no problem with striving for perfection, and it seems like a rather simple procedure.

Heres a link:
Anterior Implant Esthetics | Inside Dentistry | dentalaegis.com

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
No, I mean a custom impression coping. The Dr wants to be able to take the impression without the tissue collapsing or changing shape. I have never done this before but I have found the technique documented a few places. I never really thought it was that much of a problem, but you know how some Drs can be.. I have no problem with striving for perfection, and it seems like a rather simple procedure.

Heres a link:

You need a healing cap first before you take any impression later.

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score

Heres a link:

I love this technique, I use it all the time with my docs.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You need a healing cap first before you take any impression later.

I think the Dr is going to just use a customized temporary instead of a healing abutment. This will form the emergence profile, and we will use the custom impression coping to make sure it transfers to the PVS.

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
I think the Dr is going to just use a customized temporary instead of a healing abutment. This will form the emergence profile, and we will use the custom impression coping to make sure it transfers to the PVS.

That's the best way to do it IMO.