Nobel Biocare UniBases

Does any one else share the same opinion?

• Does any one else share the same opinion?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is it better just to go with a generic option?

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
hdlc

hdlc

Reaction score
Is it just me or is the Nobel Biocare UniBases a load of crap? The library does not work properly (does not generate hole) and the design is poor, totally overcontoured. It sits way to high on the tissue and with the tii-lobe the collar is very wide.
Why did everybody else got it right and not them?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
1) Its a mfg part so its superior in ALL ways (according to nobel)
2) you are using the library wrong :)
3) they are very precise and the anti rotation is the best in all cad bases.

I like them and they are fully compliant unlike most of the cad bases that are being used in the US.

Remember they do make heights tall and short and remember you are not voiding the mfg fixture warranty by providing this part in your restoration

Disclaimer, I am not a paid employee of Nobel Biocare nor am I paid to say such things. :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
1) Its a mfg part so its superior in ALL ways (according to nobel)
2) you are using the library wrong :)
3) they are very precise and the anti rotation is the best in all cad bases.

I like them and they are fully compliant unlike most of the cad bases that are being used in the US.

Remember they do make heights tall and short and remember you are not voiding the mfg fixture warranty by providing this part in your restoration

Disclaimer, I am not a paid employee of Nobel Biocare nor am I paid to say such things. :)
I think your diet finally got to you. :Hello:

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I just did one the other week, dropped right in with no issue, better then the glidewell bases.

LOL, selected 3mm high in design ordered 5mm, hey! Why doesn't it fit? But john on the nobel CC uni bases the height only applies to the height from the implant to the start of the ZR the chimney that goes into the abutment are all the same on the 1.5mm and 3mm, i just looked on their site.

Is it just me or is the Nobel Biocare UniBases a load of crap? The library does not work properly (does not generate hole) and the design is poor, totally overcontoured. It sits way to high on the tissue and with the tii-lobe the collar is very wide.
Why did everybody else got it right and not them?

Lets sort this out.

Screen shot of the design.

Pic of how it sits on the ti base.

What mill and cam software?

Did you select the right base in the order and do you have the latest DME? you can get the latest one from www.nobelbiocare.com/stl

I know on my vhf cam i have a drillings setting that allows me to tighten and loosen the fit. My 4axis mill at 0.00 was too loose i dropped it down to -0.15 and everything dropped right in with a quick round about with a diamond flat wall bur. M5 5axis i set to -0.15 from the first time and they are too tight found myself grinding too much to get the base to sit so i opened it up to 0.15 and got much better results. But it might not be a cam issue.

Last edited:
hdlc

hdlc

Reaction score
M
I just did one the other week, dropped right in with no issue, better then the glidewell bases.

LOL, selected 3mm high in design ordered 5mm, hey! Why doesn't it fit? But john on the nobel CC uni bases the height only applies to the height from the implant to the start of the ZR the chimney that goes into the abutment are all the same on the 1.5mm and 3mm, i just looked on their site.

Lets sort this out.

Screen shot of the design.

Pic of how it sits on the ti base.

What mill and cam software?

Did you select the right base in the order and do you have the latest DME? you can get the latest one from www.nobelbiocare.com/stl

I know on my vhf cam i have a drillings setting that allows me to tighten and loosen the fit. My 4axis mill at 0.00 was too loose i dropped it down to -0.15 and everything dropped right in with a quick round about with a diamond flat wall bur. M5 5axis i set to -0.15 from the first time and they are too tight found myself grinding too much to get the base to sit so i opened it up to 0.15 and got much better results. But it might not be a cam issue.

I'm using 3Shape, Cam is SUM3D and a imes 250 mill.I believe my library version is the latest.

With the CC the manufacturing file only creates the hole but not the base, with the Rpl it doesn't create the hole, or the base. With the Rpl in the past I could make it work by making up my own library using the components of the Nobel one and allow the "Append hope patches option". In a few of the cases, the metal collar ended up visible on top of the gum, where in the past when the uni-bases wasn't available I used Medentika bases which did a great job with their low and narrow profile.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
M

I'm using 3Shape, Cam is SUM3D and a imes 250 mill.I believe my library version is the latest.

With the CC the manufacturing file only creates the hole but not the base, with the Rpl it doesn't create the hole, or the base. With the Rpl in the past I could make it work by making up my own library using the components of the Nobel one and allow the "Append hope patches option". In a few of the cases, the metal collar ended up visible on top of the gum, where in the past when the uni-bases wasn't available I used Medentika bases which did a great job with their low and narrow profile.

Your in New zeland so the FDA lock doesn't effect you. Here in the state I am only allowed to do the CC uni on 2015, but my 2014 uni has the RPL, CC and Branemark. Sound like the issue is within the library itself. This is how mine look on both 2014 and 2015. The libraries will be locked so you won't be able to adjust anything.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

By what your stating, the append hole is unchecked and the keep base is unchecked. Look in the control panel and see. If you can uncheck append hole and check keep base. This is export the stl with the hole and the base.

As for the collar being too high you did select the1.5mm instead of the 3mm right? Yes Nobel has a fairly high collar level opposed to glidewell NT trading and others.

hdlc

hdlc

Reaction score
Your in New zeland so the FDA lock doesn't effect you. Here in the state I am only allowed to do the CC uni on 2015, but my 2014 uni has the RPL, CC and Branemark. Sound like the issue is within the library itself. This is how mine look on both 2014 and 2015. The libraries will be locked so you won't be able to adjust anything.
View attachment 21643 View attachment 21644 View attachment 21645

By what your stating, the append hole is unchecked and the keep base is unchecked. Look in the control panel and see. If you can uncheck append hole and check keep base. This is export the stl with the hole and the base.

As for the collar being too high you did select the1.5mm instead of the 3mm right? Yes Nobel has a fairly high collar level opposed to glidewell NT trading and others.

Yes. The settings are locked, you can get past it by recreating a new library using the files of the different components and then uncheck the box that will let you get the stl with the hole and base form. At the same time you can activate the angled screw hole if you need to tweak it a bit. It seems like everybody in NZ I've talked to have problems with it. As far as the Tri-lobe connections, just wait till you see those, the 1.5mm sticks out so far it makes it unpractical to half of the restorations you normaly wouldn't have a problem with. Not only that, the collar angle outwards that it pushes the gum so much that it makes itself less ideal in some anterior cases. In the first version library the CC worked fine, now in the second version with all the other platforms, nothing works properly.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yes. The settings are locked, you can get past it by recreating a new library using the files of the different components and then uncheck the box that will let you get the stl with the hole and base form. At the same time you can activate the angled screw hole if you need to tweak it a bit. It seems like everybody in NZ I've talked to have problems with it. As far as the Tri-lobe connections, just wait till you see those, the 1.5mm sticks out so far it makes it unpractical to half of the restorations you normaly wouldn't have a problem with. Not only that, the collar angle outwards that it pushes the gum so much that it makes itself less ideal in some anterior cases. In the first version library the CC worked fine, now in the second version with all the other platforms, nothing works properly.
I had a lab modify the ti base so that the collar would sit below tissue level, then I made a screw retained crown over it. The fist one i did sat high like you say. I told them adjust at your own risk, this is how the oem nobel bases sit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

D

DentalFusion

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Does anyone have the STL Files of these implants? I am desperate to use them in my Dental Wings software.
Went to all extends to get them legally and through the correct channels but with no Luck.

Thank you

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Does anyone have the STL Files of these implants? I am desperate to use them in my Dental Wings software.
Went to all extends to get them legally and through the correct channels but with no Luck.

Thank you

Have you tried the getting the Medentika library?
I have the Etkon-iDent library in my Straumann (DWings) and it contains bases for the Nobel Abutments.

D

DentalFusion

Reaction score
Hello,
Thank you for the reply. YES I have the full Medentika Library on my system.
The Client is religious to Nobel Biocare and want to use ONLY Nobel products.
I "copy scan" the Universal Base on his cases and need to place the access hole manually. Its easy on a case where you don't have much occlusial space. But in a case where the implant is buried in the bone and your crown get to the long side with a lot of dimensional limitations - to guess a access hole can get tricky.
I sell my cases on accuracy and precision, and to copy scan a machined implant component is just not right. . . For me :)
Hence my search for the library

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
Your client needs to stop drinking the Nobel kool aid ( I am an ex Nobel employee) . If you used Medentika or my parts you have the same regulatory approvals (FDA, CE, Health Canada) same quality control validation (ISO 9000 and ISO 13485) same material from the same manufacturer (ASTM F136 from a US manufacturer- i.e. Carpenter) and the same type of warranty (if the implant fails as result of the this part we will replace the implant and abutment).

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
Ti Base- No Need to Sandblast

upload_2017-9-21_11-1-23.png

DESS offers the first FDA approved industrially preconditioned sandblasted surface available on a titanium base. This is surface, known as Select Grip™, eliminates the need to sandblast, ensures the implant interface connection remains undamaged, and reduces chair time by ensuring quick and reliable bonding. SelectGrip has 5 times greater retention than titanium base without sandblasting. The ti base includes a final screw and wax up sleeve for Emax press.

The case below illustrates the shortcomings of sandblasting.

upload_2017-9-21_11-2-1.png

Before - the ti base is shinny and untouched.
After (image on the right) - 50 microns of aluminum oxide where sandblasted onto the surface.
Above the collar the ti base is inconsistently and not uniformly sandblasted. This will increase the chances of debonding.

upload_2017-9-21_11-2-58.png

At and below the collar the ti base surface should be highly polished and untouched. This surface is sandblasted and the gingiva can become irritated and the areas can harbor microorganisms increasing the chances of gingivitis.

Top Bottom