Nobel Biocare abutments

user name

user name

Reaction score
I cant find these tapered non-engaging abutments in their catalog. I know they must have them;I think Ive used them before. Any ideas?

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
Use a superior product - we have DESS Vertical wall non engaging ti bases for Nobel, FDA approved, with the same warranty as the OEM on the implant. The problem with those is that they have tapered walls which just like prepping a tooth result in a weaker bond retention...you have options. Available as a straight ti base and also as an AngledBase ti base.

user name

user name

Reaction score
@DESS-USA

I understand your reasoning, but...
I dont have a 5 axis mill, so unless the implants are parallel, and theyre not quite, the taper design is something I can get milled out nice without undercuts. The screw access is a bit of a booger, but Ive never had an issue hand detailing those in.

I thought Nobel had those, but turns out it was Straumann.

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
You do not need a 5 axis mill to mill out a restoration on our ti bases. We have tens of thousands of labs milling these restorations daily using 3 axis mills. The tapered wall may be nice to mill out but you still have the same weakness in the retention so why place a product in someones mouth knowing you have a chance of debonding. We have all of these parts for you. Have you tried the DESS parts before?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Youre not hearing me clearly.

On a 3 unit bridge, 2 abutments, if the abutments arent placed parallel, theres an issue with undercuts.

Using abutments with a slight taper can eliminate this issue. 2 abutments with a 5 degree taper will allow a 3 axis mill to accurately mill the intaglio with the implants being up to 10 degrees off axis from each other.

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
I understand but you still have a bond retention weakness with that type of taper design. You can use a Anglebase ti base solution that would provide you greater bond adhesion while providing you a way to manage the divergent implants. I attached a catalog on this. Our lab clients are moving towards this to solve this exact same issue you mentioned.
32614 32615

Attachments

• DESS Angle Base Brochure.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 3
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hi Keith. Do your Zimmer Ti bases have the 1 degree taper friction fit for the engaging abutments?

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
No and no one can make those since there is a patent. All our parts are made using the original implants - this is a FDA requirement - so we know that the tolerance and fit will be within the specifications of the actual implant. hence why we do not run into issues with screw unloosening or the interface not accurately engaging into the implant etc.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you for the honest, helpful reply, Keith.
It's been a good, informative thread so far.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Hi Keith. Do your Zimmer Ti bases have the 1 degree taper friction fit for the engaging abutments?
You just had to open a can of worms....

I got a screw retained case in from a new Dr that used Biohorizon. Not being very familiar with the Biohorizon product availability, I asked if he would have issue with me using Zimmer or some other mfrg for parts.

I spoke to the folks at Biohorizon, and they said for screw retained cases we should be using temp abutments. (?!)

Claim- there is a more passive fit so retrieval will be possible.

Ive never heard of that. True?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I have not heard of that one either. The temp abutment is less engaging?

user name

user name

Reaction score
I have not heard of that one either. The temp abutment is less engaging?
The engagement looks the same, but she intimated it didnt bind snug.