• Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Did you google Ron Jeremy while at work? Did anyone see you. Hehehe

stonefly

stonefly

Reaction score
Wildlife Biologist... Dream this business is a nightmare.Would not recommend this business to my worst enemy, or let my kids in it.It has made me a decent living but I don't live much.:)

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Wildlife Biologist... Dream this business is a nightmare.Would not recommend this business to my worst enemy, or let my kids in it.It has made me a decent living but I don't live much.:)

Wow, what a first post.

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
I went to school for Computer Animation, 3d Modeling and texturing. Now I run the cad/cam department at the lab.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Bump to bring bak an old but interesting thread, sadily some in it aren't here anymore.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I would still like to know the reaction to google searching Ron Jeremy while having no idea who he is. And hope it wasn't a google image search.

stonefly

stonefly

Reaction score

stonefly

Member​

Messages24Reaction score2

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
You want a list?
Pilot
Astronaut
Ballet dancer
Nuclear Scientist
Author
Geneticist
Theoretical Physicist
Mathematician

That's enough of a start

Chiolo C

Chiolo C

Reaction score
always wanted to be rocket engineer
If one day Space X to be a public company
I will all in

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I may be naive, and I am on the young side(47) and I've only been in this profession for about 20 years, but I feel like our profession is on the upswing. Doctors need us more now than ever. Tech is changing so fast they can't keep up and they rely on us to keep them informed with the latest materials and techniques. This is especially true in implant dentistry. I am a Gen Xer that went through college with undiagnosed ADD and struggled mightily. I am lucky that my aunt and uncle owned a dental lab and was using my Chem degree to work at a blood lab where I was completely bored twenty years ago. This job allows me to multitask. I work with my hands and I can listen to podcasts while I work. I also use my phone to text/communicate with doctors all day long. This job really checks a lot of boxes for me and I know my ADD is actually an asset.

We still aren't getting paid what we are worth, but I think that may be changing also post pandemic. Docs in my area are having a hard time finding "cheap" crowns and we have seen a big uptick in work in my lab. We have had several docs come back to us that left because we were "too expensive." We pay our employees more and we didn't lose any with the job market upheaval(except that one person who insurrected on the Captitol). Our quality stays consistent because we aren't turning over our staff like the "Walmart" labs.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I may be naive, and I am on the young side(47) and I've only been in this profession for about 20 years, but I feel like our profession is on the upswing. Doctors need us more now than ever. Tech is changing so fast they can't keep up and they rely on us to keep them informed with the latest materials and techniques. This is especially true in implant dentistry. I am a Gen Xer that went through college with undiagnosed ADD and struggled mightily. I am lucky that my aunt and uncle owned a dental lab and was using my Chem degree to work at a blood lab where I was completely bored twenty years ago. This job allows me to multitask. I work with my hands and I can listen to podcasts while I work. I also use my phone to text/communicate with doctors all day long. This job really checks a lot of boxes for me and I know my ADD is actually an asset.

We still aren't getting paid what we are worth, but I think that may be changing also post pandemic. Docs in my area are having a hard time finding "cheap" crowns and we have seen a big uptick in work in my lab. We have had several docs come back to us that left because we were "too expensive." We pay our employees more and we didn't lose any with the job market upheaval(except that one person who insurrected on the Captitol). Our quality stays consistent because we aren't turning over our staff like the "Walmart" labs.
I agree completely, I'm seeing the same thing. A little extra communication that is normal for small labs with their clients is making a huge difference when it comes to describing the digital pathways the Docs need.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I agree completely, I'm seeing the same thing. A little extra communication that is normal for small labs with their clients is making a huge difference when it comes to describing the digital pathways the Docs need.
Everyone gets the glove along the way...

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score

The "Walmart" labs also have those doc-in-the-box dentist equivalent outfits you see in strip malls but never seem to last. I've talked to docs fresh out of school that have had to work at those places to try and get their careers going and they get like no time to do anything and the patient experience is awful. They've gotta be using the cheapest labs to try and milk as much out of it as possible, so they're like co-dependent in a way, and if one is doing poorly hopefully the other gets taken down with them.

I'm usually pretty pessimistic about politics and such, but supposing there's at least a chance that healthcare sees significant reforms and improvement, even if it doesn't include dentistry directly, that burden being lifted off of people will allow more of them to get dental work done. I figure people that are stressed economically aren't even considering dental care toward the top of their list of priorities, but as soon as they get some relief from the most immediate problems, then it becomes at least an option again (and those particular patients are highly likely to need crowns and dentures etc).

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
The "Walmart" labs also have those doc-in-the-box dentist equivalent outfits you see in strip malls but never seem to last. I've talked to docs fresh out of school that have had to work at those places to try and get their careers going and they get like no time to do anything and the patient experience is awful. They've gotta be using the cheapest labs to try and milk as much out of it as possible, so they're like co-dependent in a way, and if one is doing poorly hopefully the other gets taken down with them.

I'm usually pretty pessimistic about politics and such, but supposing there's at least a chance that healthcare sees significant reforms and improvement, even if it doesn't include dentistry directly, that burden being lifted off of people will allow more of them to get dental work done. I figure people that are stressed economically aren't even considering dental care toward the top of their list of priorities, but as soon as they get some relief from the most immediate problems, then it becomes at least an option again (and those particular patients are highly likely to need crowns and dentures etc).
Hard not to be pessimistic about politics. Figuring out a way to get more people covered for their dental needs would be huge for our industry.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Chemical Engineer for me, was deployed in USAR for a year tour and forgot advanced calculus:( Decided 6 months for a refresher too muchBanghead So worked at lab while attaining a Major in City Planning and Minor in Econ/ made more at the lab than starting pay and stayed had kids divorce......let go from NDX at age 42 after working at the lab for 23 yrs. One year and did take a penny of the 24 weeks vacation and other stipends for non compete, bought lab from friend who retired, been here most wkds since and love it! 11years and counting, mostly local drs' but have a few out of towners. I have 2 newbies that started 6 months ago and cannot believe how much they haven't ever worked with their hands, even penmanship, but they are here every day which is a curse and blessing. I cannot wait til' I can go sell some more, but right now need to find 1-2 more finishing ceramist.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
New blood will continue to get worse, which makes us more valuable. So its a ☯️.
First time in my career I don't have to worry about prices, turn around, or client loss.