Night Guard Question

L

labdude

Reaction score
Rob K, John,
Well put posts on the splints. I to articulate those cases that come in with no bite, with the post. open. Over the years, I have found that keeping it simple, works just as good as duplicating for a work model etc.
Keep it simple, keep the quality high, your production and profit will be greater, while the final result will be as it should be.

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Here is an alternative to a system that generally just increases bruxing.... night guards. Of course you lab guys will have to talk to your doctors about these.
NTI-Tss

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Here is an alternative to a system that generally just increases bruxing.... night guards. Of course you lab guys will have to talk to your doctors about these.
NTI-Tss

This is nothing new and for guys doing this style of an appliance they must realize there is a patent on it and you must not replicate it exactly as it is.

After reading your post I am interested in knowing if you as a Denturist don't consider yourself a tech? Seems like you put yourself in another category the way I read what you wrote.

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
I do all my own lab work...... too anal to trust it to anyone else, and a real ******* to work for..... LOL
As far as the NTI I usually made them to cover the full arch as per Dr's request for the patient.... I have quit making them though, tired of them. So I just stick seeing my own patients and getting them fixed up.

As to patents..... doesn't take much change in the appliance to be clear of the patent......

Last edited:
L

labdude

Reaction score
I've been making a similar appliance since about 1981 or so. Most of them were made as a "ramp" device to correct an anterior cross bite.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Travis....I don't know what you think I'm "guilty" of here.

Al and Rob, interesting stuff on how things are done down south, and....way up in the brain freeze north.

William, a bastard to work with???? Or just plain??? The guy sees aliens.

Edit: now that is intersting...I can type words you can't William!!
To bad I can't spell better, more better, bestest, ....more.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Al and Rob, interesting stuff on how things are done down south, and....way up in the brain freeze north.

Different strokes for different folks...........

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score

Mike ... I said ******* not bastard.....LOL

Kreyer

Kreyer

Reaction score
This is nothing new and for guys doing this style of an appliance they must realize there is a patent on it and you must not replicate it exactly as it is.

After reading your post I am interested in knowing if you as a Denturist don't consider yourself a tech? Seems like you put yourself in another category the way I read what you wrote.

John,

It seems that Denturist forgot where his roots are.....

Denturist,

Just curious! Why such a condensending remark "you lab guys"?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score

I was told that is how they used to cast metals before the centrifical casting machine was invented.
I figure since we have so many antique lab techs here it would bring back memories of the good ol days.

Last edited:
C

CShof

Reaction score
John,

Denturist,

Can I play peacemaker here? I didn't take it as condescending. He sees patients directly, our decisions have to get the ok from a doctor. That's all I got out of it.

Can't we all just get along? - Rodney King.

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
John,

Denturist,

There was nothing "condescending" about my remark....... Mearly a statement. :cool:

Kreyer

Kreyer

Reaction score
I was told that is how they used to cast metals before the centrifical casting machine was invented.
I figure since we have so many antique lab techs here it would bring back memories of the good ol days.

Al,

My grandfather cast his gold in a cowbell attached to a chain and stick in his hand....before that he would cast with a potato. I have tried the potato trick and it works quite well.

Denturist,

My point was that years ago general dentists used terms like "lab man, lab boy, lab guy, lab girl etc......" which are demeaning and put a dental technician in thier place. My opinion and maybe it is just mine because of my business model is that all members of the prosthetic dental team (dental assistant, dental technician, denturist, general dentist and prosthodontist) deserve equal respect and should be treated as such.

I personally think and believe that dental technicians have evolved from the "lab man or lab girl" mentality and position to one pursuing higher education. Current terminology used by prosthoidontic societies and associations recommend dental technologist and prosthetic dental technician but of course we are also prosthetic dental consultants. Because of the removable prosthodontic curriculum cutbacks at the undergraduate level in dental schools s9ince 1995 most dental laboratories in the USA find their roles changing to one of consultants in removable prosthodntics.

If Dental Laboratory Technology or Denturism is to evolve as a technology and profession then we must pursue education, excellence and respect within ourselves and colleagues.

Just my opinion...

L

labdude

Reaction score
Well put Rob K,
Still...to maintain balance and not get to elitest, and to maintain contact with all, a little play is o.k.
Trying to maintain such high standard is fine, but, in every move a person makes?? Constipating.
I respect your opinion, some are, and always will be a bit looser. Without tight constraints, more avenues will be explored. Go down the dark alley once in a while, take a load off.
But, true it is, some do enjoy being as politically correct and use the most cutting edge nomenclature they can come up with. There is enjoyment in that, very true. But, it can be like going through life with blinders on.
Most of us here, I believe, don't feel slighted by a little "sideways" talk like "you lab guys". A positon William can not truely enjoy anymore, being a slave to the public now.
And yourself Rob, words are words, and production and quality are just that, in a given area of our profession. While some may be able to "out word" others, there are areas they will not out "quality" us. They might be to busy worrying about be as professional as possible.
Mike.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Thanks William,
All my mysteries have been solved.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Can you go into more detail, i'd love to hear more about it?

Does this mean I have to change my name on here?

You see labrat I mean guy Im not crazy, now using a potato, thats crazy.
Anybody here still have 8 track tapes?

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
You mean I have to be politically correct here too.

Definition of political correctness......

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Top Bottom