New to IPS e.max - some questions

C

charles007

Reaction score
Even though I'm a beginner with emax, I have yet to see a heavy reaction layer or short short margins.... I did forget and used debubblizer on a crown and had a touch of flash, investment breakdown, but it was ok.........
I'm using the Ivoclar pressvest speed , without seeing bubbles or even touching the inside of my crowns . My press crowns have a better fit than my pfm with Microstar HS.
Al uses the regular Ivoclar Pressvest with the same great results........
Ivoclar may cost more, but one extra rewaxing-pressing will give you a break even on investment price.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
The Dekema is a nice piece for sure. They are regarded as some of the best pieces of equipment in the laboratory, but what they are not is tested with e.max ingots. I have experience with several of the other pressing ovens (other than the Ivoclar ones) and they are all very different. The Ivoclar ovens use an electronic press drive and sensors to determine when the pressing is complete, while the others use a pressing time and holding time. The bottom line is your going to go through some ingots to "dial" things in if your using any oven different than the Ivoclar pressing ovens. It is not there job to do all the R & D on all the other furnaces. I got upset when things didn't work out also, but using the e.max ingots in any other oven is like using one companys opaque and dentin porcelain and ANOTHER companys incisal/enamel porcelain, then blaming one or the other that their product doesn't work when things go wrong. I learned that staying within the system & using the equipment that has been tested, is what works best, keeps you happy, gets really nice work out the door and (if) technical issues arise, you have the backing of the company to help you gets things fixed.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is your going to go through some ingots to "dial" things in if your using any oven different than the Ivoclar pressing ovens.

is like using one companys opaque and dentin porcelain and ANOTHER companys incisal/enamel porcelain, then blaming one or the other that their product doesn't work when things go wrong.

Once again, six pack is right!!!! By the way, did you ever say what was on ice, other than a six pack, what kind?

I have the Whip Mix Pro Press 100, I burned up probably 3 sleeves of ingots (large and small) to get my press oven dialed in. I mean I had to change press time, hold time, high heat, just for the differences between the small and large. Then I had to make subtle differences between MO, HT, and LT. IT'S A P.I.T.A.......PAIN IN THE ASS. However, it saved me 6,000 dollars and I don't have any problems and have been doing them for awhile now with hardly any reaction layers and the fits are very nice.

Al mentioned something I think is crucial when doing LT, HT and even MO for that matter, and that is make your wax up perfect. Don't make those margins bulky like you would so it casts out, don't, no need to, make your occlusion, margins, anatomy, everything right on the mark and you'll save yourself tons of time doing any finishing.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Rob, Its Corona with nachos and dip.

Ill tell you what kind of furnace I need. One that will make sure I will never glaze a tray of Emax on the pfm glaze cycle and melt a bunch of crowns.

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
Al
The ep5000 is your answer and that is one of the reasons I bought it over the 3000.
On the touch screenl you have a choice of Firing or Pressing. Press Firing and you then have Program Groups......

These are the program groups:
d.sign..... emax press stain
inline..... emax layering
esthetic..... zir press staining

Once you touch Emax Press Stain, you only have the choices of programs to use for the press technique. If you are layering, you touch the Emax Layering , for bisbake, add, stain-glaze etc.
Its really impossible to use the wrong program like you would if your punching program numbers.......
Really nice furnace with a 3 year warranty, plus it nice that Ivoclar will pick up the the cost on shipping!! plus loaner if needed.......

Last edited:
A

AL1

Reaction score
I use Microstar investment for everything including e.max and empress esthetic. I do use the 600 ivoclar pressing furnace and have had great results transitioning from empress 2 to e.max.
I used to use Ivoclar investment for pressing but Microstar works so much better for everything.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Hey Little Al 1
Both investments are great-ivoclar-HS, what differences did you see using it with emax..... When I first started using the HS for all of my casting, I remember it being extra hard and took a little longer to devest......

Last edited:
R

RBob

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your input. I appreciate it.
When I figure this all out I'll give you a full report. :)

A

AL1

Reaction score
What I like about Microstar over everything else, is the way it flows for me. I get the cleanest smoothes castings and pressings no matter what angle wax is sprued.It is a little harder but my blaster seems to divest it just as fast.
I have rarely had much luck with Whipmix investments. When I worked in the dental school at U of Wash. we used Ceramigold, I think thats what it was called, as hard as cement.

C

ChrisR

Reaction score
Ill tell you what kind of furnace I need. One that will make sure I will never glaze a tray of Emax on the pfm glaze cycle and melt a bunch of crowns.[/QUOTE]

I will second that !!!!!!!
Usually good for that about once a month................

Last edited:
Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
What occlusal molds do you use? I am looking at ways to speed up my work, and improve aesthetics. I like the stuff you post, it's obvious that your work is high quality. It takes me a little under ten minutes to do full contour wax ups, and about the same to stack a full crown. Of course I usually need three bakes to get things where I want them. I would love any advice because I am a one man lab, and production speeds seem difficult when you are doing things start to finish.

A

AL1

Reaction score
My rep. told me that emax likes to be burned out a good hour at temp. before pressing, he never told me why that would make a difference.
I use microstar hs works great for me. I press in an ivoclar 600.