New to digital splints

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time posting,
Our lab has been digital for 6+ years in the fixed department, we are now expanding more digital into the removables department (my department) , looking for suggestions for a software to make splints, it needs to be able to incorporate an anterior ramp for posterior disclusion in excursions, hoping to possibly go model-less in the future. We have 3-shape software and scanners, 3 rolland mills, and a new formlabs printer, but open to all suggestions. what has been working for you guys? printing? milling? which software?

I have played with the idea of going model-less. My original intend was to go model-less.Tried many ways in regards to getting my virtual articulation to match the relationship to physically mounted casts. No matter what I try I can not get an exact correlation between the two. Still trying to get a better correlation though. Right now if you wanted to model-less the clinician with spend more time adjusting the bite than if it was adjusted on mounted casts before sending out. This would not go well with my clients but maybe fly with yours. Adjusting the bite on my mounted casts average 7 minutes, not to bad in my mind.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
My initial thought was to go model-less. Tried many ways to get my virtually mounted models to correlate to my physically mounted casts. No matter how I virtually mounted my casts I could not get an exact correlation. Still trying though. So you could realistically do model-less but the clinician will spend more time adjusting a model-less splint than one that had been adjusted on mounted casts before being delivered. Right now my virtually mounted splints take an average time of 7 minutes to adjust on my mounted casts. Not to bad in my mind but want to get that time down significantly. Ideally to 0 minutes but I don't think that will happen.

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
I have gone modeless on a few occasions with Intra Oral Scans... the alternative is to get models printed for remounting and occlusal balancing, but this is a cost I simply have to pass on. its either pay more for the 3d printed models or spent a few extra minutes calibrating the bite in the chair. Most (actually all so far) choose the cheap option and adjust in the chair.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I have gone modeless on a few occasions with Intra Oral Scans... the alternative is to get models printed for remounting and occlusal balancing, but this is a cost I simply have to pass on. its either pay more for the 3d printed models or spent a few extra minutes calibrating the bite in the chair. Most (actually all so far) choose the cheap option and adjust in the chair.
Curious what are you charging for you models on the IOS cases for splints?I have gotten just 2 cases that way so far and have printed models for the cases but did not charge for them.

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
I haven't got a printer(...yet!) but I get charged $40 per arch(aud) I just pass this cost on, I don't mark it up.

D

Dena Engel

Reaction score
So what is the average charge to the doctor or lab per arch for just a 3D model?

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
A $30k machine using $30-40 in materials +energy (and machine wear... what's the monthly not on that maintenance contract???) to make a $90 appliance... Sounds just like the road digital dentures is driving on..... When any one doctor of mine does more than 3-4 dentures a month????? In my down time I can do splints .... Awesome. How long until I see a ROI???? C'mon. Do Zircona where the profits are...

Top Bottom