New Products: Stratasys 3D Dental Printers

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score

Signed a distribution agreement with Stratasys to distribute their line of 3D Dental Printers.

We are pretty excited to be installing our our Objet Eden260V next week. It's fast, based on their clean, safe and quiet PolyJet 3D Printing technology and with a nice variety of materials (MED610 even medically approved for temporary in-mouth placement) is great for surgical guides, orthodontic appliances, dental models, veneer try-ins etc.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
ProJetter

ProJetter

Reaction score
.....even medically approved for temporary in-mouth placement....

For me (personally) it's really interesting how 2-component processes like PolyJet-Printing & also MuliJet-Printing (3D-Systems) can be medical approved!
On a printing process you'll have a "non identified" amount of mixed resins (support + part resin) in downface areas which cannot be removed to 100% (if you understand the process, you know what i mean).
And both companys (3DS + Objet / Stratasys) have "only" the part resin certified for medical usage (USP Class VI, when i remember right)... => RISKY :mad:

Pls correct me if i am wrong...and sorry for my bad english!

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hey Projetter,
PolyJet support material enables the production of models with a wide variety complex geometries, including overhangs and undercuts. With no hard edges to scrape or chemical baths to use, the gel-like support structure is easily and quickly removed with a water jet.

The medical approval is indeed given to the Model material, but it does not mean that the PolyJet cured support material is toxic.

In other words, there is no theoretical need to apply for medical bio compatibility approval for the support material – however, the support material is not at a toxic level to have any dramatic effect on the bio model materials.

Bio-compatible PolyJet photopolymer (MED610) is ideal for applications requiring prolonged skin contact of more than 30 days and short-term mucosal-membrane contact of up to 24 hours. it has five medical approvals including cytotoxicity, genotoxicity, delayed type hypersensitivity, irritation and USP plastic class VI.

Best
Steve

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
when the support material is treated properly (removed correctly) there is nothing left of it on the model.

ProJetter

ProJetter

Reaction score
The medical approval is indeed given to the Model material, but it does not mean that the PolyJet cured support material is toxic.

In other words, there is no theoretical need to apply for medical bio compatibility approval for the support material....

No ned to approve it?? You really do sell / would sell it like this? How much is the mixture of support with part on "supported" surfaces (2-face-look) after post processing? Noone can answer that i think :)

when the support material is treated properly (removed correctly) there is nothing left of it on the model.

you are very wrong! that's what i said with "understand the process"!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score

So I'm assuming that you're not talking about just a water pick right? Removing the support material will need further post processing after the water pick?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yes. there is a bath and a steam clean still to do.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I've seen support material still left in the cavities of printed models after processing...could that leak out if the models (material/printing process) are not watertight ?

ProJetter

ProJetter

Reaction score
Guys, let me easily explain what i mean with "support left in model material / mixture":

1) machine prints support
2) machine prints part resin "over" that area => part resin needs to be overcured onto that support resin to get it "stable"
3) a planerizer / roller or whatever is "pressing" / "rollin" over that 1 layer assembly to remove droplet structure (from a printing process)

This happens layer by layer and in summary you'll receive a 2-face look part after post processing.
The "area" where support meets part is (as far as i know) not defined and in PJ and MJM printing processes with 2 components not defineable (<- is that grammar correct?).

That's the reason why i (personally) cannot "sell" / "offer" that process as biocompatible because there are so many un-answered questions :)

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
There is No Planerizer on a Stratasys System. Only ProJet uses one.

ProJetter

ProJetter

Reaction score
There is No Planerizer on a Stratasys System. Only ProJet uses one.
Nope..Objet uses Rollers / Planerizers too! Otherweise they wouldn't get a nice flat surface with jetted drops!

Oh, stop...maybe they really don't use it (anymore)?!...Sorry!
But this doesn't change anything on my mixed material statement :)

Edit 2: But what is that? =>

Viper / Blade / Roller / Planerizer...all the same function :)

Last edited:
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
They don't. Just letting you know. I believe ProJet patented the process.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
objet eden 260v has no roller or planerizer. support material is added longitudinally to the model to act as a Dam, giving XY stability.

the Matte finish in the software is better than the Glossy. Glossy models tend to have fit issues for me.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Am I the only one that is enjoying a nice exchange of information without a certain someone telling everyone they are idiots and there is only one way (his way) of doing everything?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Am I the only one that is enjoying a nice exchange of information without a certain someone telling everyone they are idiots and there is only one way (his way) of doing everything?

Don't tell me that you're missing him...:D:D:D

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
You idiots they planerize!! Luke and kent you are wrong! I am right! I know everything! what have you done with 3d printers I have 50 3d systems printers in pieces on my forkflift as I speak I have 2 on ebay and you don't even know me or what I can do. I have hacked everything even my power supply to my building LOL! What have you done LOL.
Don't EVER second guess me!

That should suffice Glenn.

Javier Ricalde

Javier Ricalde

Reaction score
You idiots they planerize!! Luke and kent you are wrong! I am right! I know everything! what have you done with 3d printers I have 50 3d systems printers in pieces on my forkflift as I speak I have 2 on ebay and you don't even know me or what I can do. I have hacked everything even my power supply to my building LOL! What have you done LOL.
Don't EVER second guess me!

Are you scott?

J

Jurim

Reaction score
I had an Orthodesk and had to get rid of it. As for the support material I was never really able to remove it all, ever. Also, small or fragile parts like tiny dies were a bitch to clean and sometimes broke from the water pressure.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Orthodesk is an entry level machine, however in the correct circumstances its actually a very good and reliable one, but of course it depends on your expectations.

Support material is easy to remove, 30 mins in Sodium Hydroxide solution and then water jet...all gone, large all small pieces, we have no issues at all.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I had an Orthodesk and had to get rid of it. As for the support material I was never really able to remove it all, ever. Also, small or fragile parts like tiny dies were a bitch to clean and sometimes broke from the water pressure.
you probably were trying too hard. the support material is pretty easily broken down in gentle series of baths over a period of an hour. a rinse under tap water is usually enough after that.

Top Bottom