New Netflix Documentary..."Root Canal"

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I watched this hot pile of garbage over the weekend. The only issue they brought up that I think could use more research/discussion is that root canals lead to disease in other parts of the body. They claim that the only time we leave a dead body part in the body is with root canal therapy. They claim that there is infection still in the dead tooth that can spread to other parts of the body and cause disease.

Here's the other things they say...

-all dead teeth should be removed
-maryland bridges are the preferred way to treat a missing tooth.
-titanium implants mess up the body's electrical system so zirconia implants are the preferred material for implants

They have lots of doctors in this documentary that sound very convincing. I think doctors are going to start getting questions asked from patients who view this doc.

https://www.todaysrdh.com/root-cause-netflix-documentary-lets-review-the-science/

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
...and fracking will make your tap water catch on fire.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I started watching it, but couldnt, Ive got a failed root canal, done by a former client Banghead and its got a lesion at the apex in less than 5 years, Im going to get it pulled, grafted, implant. :confused:

doug

doug

Reaction score
I was in a docs office about 6 months ago and he stopped into the lab area where he also has a monitor for checking x-rays. On the screen was a nice #14 with an endo file sticking out about 5 mm above the apex of the root. Good times!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The line between documentary and mockumentary was abolished long ago.
Right about the time Michael Moore's career started.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I started watching it, but couldnt, Ive got a failed root canal, done by a former client Banghead and its got a lesion at the apex in less than 5 years, Im going to get it pulled, grafted, implant. :confused:
I know a good lab ;)

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Yeah, I watched this as well. What a farce. Most of it was junk science from what I saw.

I will agree, there is science showing that bacteria from a root abscess can lead to endocarditis, and that folks with heart valve replacements need to be on good antibiotics before getting root canal therapy (or any real dental work done) due to infection from the mouth getting in the blood stream and causing problems with the valves (my brother-in-law had heart valve replacement and got this instruction). And as long as I've been in the dental field (Since 1985) premedication for people with heart conditions has been pretty standard (although, maybe not as standard now as in the past),for the same reason. Other than that, I don't think there are any real peer reviewed studies on any of the other claims of "scientific proof" talked about in the "documentary."

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Sadly some of the newer dds will not prescribe pre-dental work antibiotics, to quote one local when looking for a dentist for my Amazing Mrs
"I don't write prescriptions for fun."

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
This is in the FWIW department: don't forget taking antibiotics can encourage bad bacteria to become resistant, and kill off the good ones.
LCM

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
well in the FWIW department (i dont have a netflix account to see this) in diabetic and injured patients its proven that removing dead limbs full of gangrene is far better than if these limbs were kept. so i kinda concede the point dead things should be removed from the body.

we also know teeth from dead people don't integrate or survive well when transplanted, as witnessed by 17-19th century dental practices.

as for the rest of the claims, these are obviously junk.

titanium is an inert material, as is zirconia and gold, thats the whole point.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This is in the FWIW department: don't forget taking antibiotics can encourage bad bacteria to become resistant, and kill off the good ones.
LCM
Uh, no.

Taking antibiotics does not encourage or create antibiotic resistant bacteria. Never has never will. Same idea as not vaccinating your kids since you got vaccinated. Non-genetic traits do not get passed.

What will happen is that the bacteria which are susceptible to the antibiotic(s) administered will die. That's what you want. The issue is that there are naturally occurring bacteria which have 'resistance' to medications. These will not have to compete for food after all the susceptible bacteria die. This is what is really happening when someone says 'you're creating a super bug'. Unless you are in a DNA sequencing lab and laying down the genome, you are not creating a super bug. You are only giving a bug that had to fight for food a great chance at the feeding trough.

Everyone's favorite superbug, MRSA, has a damaged transport mechanism. This means it has difficulty getting things from the outside to the inside. This damaged transport mechanism makes it like the kid with broken hands at the dinner table. It's hard for it to eat anything but the stuff it can handle in the damaged state. This same damage is what makes it resistant to Methicillin since it can't transport it inside and die.

Most superbugs only thrive in super sterile environments for these exact reasons. They cannot survive well in the wild.

T

TheresaF22

Reaction score
I watched this hot pile of garbage over the weekend. The only issue they brought up that I think could use more research/discussion is that root canals lead to disease in other parts of the body. They claim that the only time we leave a dead body part in the body is with root canal therapy. They claim that there is infection still in the dead tooth that can spread to other parts of the body and cause disease.

Here's the other things they say...

-all dead teeth should be removed
-maryland bridges are the preferred way to treat a missing tooth.
-titanium implants mess up the body's electrical system so zirconia implants are the preferred material for implants

They have lots of doctors in this documentary that sound very convincing. I think doctors are going to start getting questions asked from patients who view this doc.

https://www.todaysrdh.com/root-cause-netflix-documentary-lets-review-the-science/
I know this is an old thread but lol, Netflix pulled the documentary. I was able to view it on MEGA and I agree it's garbage. But I agree with the idea that root canals cause more infections in the body because my sister ended up with endocarditis after getting a root canal done which sucks because now she has to take antibiotics on a regular basis.

Besides that part, it was mindnumbingly dumb. I don't understand why this thing wasn't a 15min youtube video instead. Is Netflix that desperate?