New Haas Metal-Mill today?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
My hobby is, and always has been playing with machines. (cars, motorcycles, boats, electronics, etc...)

You think wasted precious time....?

To me it was a valuable learning experience and very fun. Very rewarding feeling to see it work, and work better than most "professionally" designed mills. I saved a ton of $$ in making this vs/buying something similar. Made many new friends and we all (Renishaw, Haas, CIMSystems, local machine shops, etc..) had fun doing it! Why not? It was a group effort by around 30 people. OK, my idea, but still impossible without help from friends.

Today my employee "Brad" finished a CAD design of our second fixture system and imported it into SUM3d as equipment to consider for collision, and it is now functional. We learned a few tricks from many people! It was soooo worth the effort and time! You have no idea.

Cheers!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The CAD file is missing a wall or two....but it is not necessary to have really.

We actually scanned the flat grip in a 3M scanner, then aligned and merged many scans, then worked on the CAD...then into SUM3d...

The shape of the grip was hard to measure the curves, so we just cheated a bit.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_flatgrip.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_flatgrip.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
No.

I am doing Three peoples job this week.

Brad is in Ireland, just got married.

Been here from 4:00AM to 8:00PM or later everyday this week.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
So, what the hell have I been doing with this....?

Well, A55hole Mark Jackson has me all paranoid about passing the tests for FDA approval and 501k and DUMASS and all of his worthless sh1t paperwork and certificates. (Hi Mark!)

I have been measuring and calibrating each and every single axis of my mill. The Backlash parameters, the Dead Zone compensation, on and on....

Also, made a tool probe guard to keep myself from bumping the sensor with a metal disk. I whacked it a couple times with tools and a disk. That got old real fast!

I got paranoid again and went through the process of re-calibrating the probe, only to find that everytime it was the same.....but, time to add a Steel cover anyway.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1070.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1068.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1070.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1068.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
My Haas came with great settings/parameters for the X,Y,and Z axis. I have +/- 1um repeatability! Even after power-off and re-home!

The Renishaw tool probe is also very awesome. I can re-measure the same tool over and over and also <+/- 1um!! I still can't believe that.

The A and B sucked! Waaaay off! Obviously nobody bothered to test this thing.

90 degrees did not equal 90 degrees physical movement. It was almost an arc-minute off. I have to keep playing with encoder counts vs/ physical step movement for days!

AHHH! Then, I have to dial out a dead zone if I switched directions on the rotarys.

Now my rotarys are within 45 arc-second accurate! Like I was hoping for from the Haas factory, but was not delivered such a thing.

(!$#@$#!@&$@#@%*!@!!!!!) Waste of time, but now I know how to measure and compensate for slop in electrical and mechanical! Kinda cool!

Scotty

Last edited:
ts4341

ts4341

Reaction score
Whats with the new professional avatar pic? Did you give in to the Darkside and join force with Glidewell ;) haha

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
What all is involved for "FDA approval"? I know the FDA does not personally check alllllllll these materials coming out with the identiceram labeling etc..?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I am going to try and cover everything I guess?

If I give them enough papers to read, then I guess it looks legit?

Mark

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear what's involved in validating the system. Keep us posted.

What a hideous picture.

P

Ppradip

Reaction score
Hi, Great Machine, I have one question for you, if we milled metal irremediably after if we milled EMAX blocks, can it effect the translucency of emax blocks, or should we wait for some time? what about the metal particles which is there in machines, as we have plan to purchase CORITC 450i milling machines WET & DRY PROCEDURE.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Sooooooooooooooooo, what ever happened with this? Did you return the mill? :p

J

joegarciaar

Reaction score
Scotty
I don´t understand a situation. Why not Zr with your Haas? lubricated as metal or glass no air

Jose

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I don't think he spent 100G's to mill zirconia when he could use his lava mill (or any of the now sub-$25k mills) to mill zirconia just as fast and accurately.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Haas has been adjusted once again....

This time, we cure a bad problem that was tricky to find.

When we have Two lines of rapid movements in G-code, like a retraction and movement into another pocket to mill,

the Haas decides to go into another mode of movements. It goes super-fast, at 19,000mm/min and begins to travel to the next line of coordinates before it even reaches the first line's coordinates! This value is expresed in encoder counts, and kinda weird to find in the controller settings of the actual mill.

It was rounding corners and taking short-cuts for multiple lines of rapid movements (G0 X Y Z, then G0 X Y Z, etc)

The symptom was scuff marks on parts that should not have had a tool touch that area, and also shorter tool life due to random scrubbing and minor high-speed collisions during milling.

I think most Haas customers do not have such tight work areas and their CAM has more generous clearance between the tool and parts/raw stock for rapid movements to connect/traverse to other milling tool paths. I reduced this encoder count value by a factor of Nine.

My new radius of corner-rounding for Two or more lines of rapids is now 0.05mm, or around 1300 counts. (Linear axis X,Y,Z).

(Gheeez this was not fun to find!)

Now, the Haas can jump and skip all around a tooth very very close at high-speeds and not whack anything.

Sounds simple enough, huh? It wasn't.....

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you very much CIMSystem for working with me!

You guys are the best!

I learned that the Haas cannot use G0 command for Dental.

We have to use G1 and a feedrate for rapids. Long story.

Many other parameters and such have been changed recently.

I now officially declare this project finished and fully functional!

The end.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1249_zpsf0ca6047.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1249_zpsf0ca6047.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Do you have a sale price yet?

I dunno? Depends on the customer, and how much time I have to spend.

I may refuse a customer all together! Done that many times.

Surprised that I would say that? I bet not.

Around $130k with CAM, milling templates, installation, and fixtures.

Training will be charged by the day.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Call me when I can plug, play, and make money! I think thats what most guys dropping a 100k or more on a mill in this industry want.

Top Bottom