New CAD/CAM System

user name

user name

Reaction score
For me, the oven gave me an error code. Support told me to do a visual inspection at the top, as the elements inside the muffle looked good.
The one on the left had cracking of the coating (and had tarnishing),causing poor electrical contact. Once I got the strap off, the coating just crumbled. The one on the right looks good.
They suggested using new straps when replacing the elements, which was a no brainer as they were pretty cheap.

This takes us to the install step and element longevity...That coating isnt very tough. Whether you use cables and clamps or cables and clips, DONT wiggle them on! You can damage the coating and lead to premature failure.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
This takes us to the install step and element longevity...That coating isnt very tough. Whether you use cables and clamps or cables and clips, DONT wiggle them on! You can damage the coating and lead to premature failure.

Agree, I was thinking the same thing, so I made sure the strap hole was big enough to go down on the post without wiggling them on. Thanks for making sure to let us know, and posting that money saving tip :)

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Checking for resistance won’t always show you if the element is bad because usually there is still contact but a small crack that is visibly different color and texture and also sometimes the connection won’t break until it heats up and expands.

DOF has a great mill for the price and is expandable if you want to do emax Or titanium abutments.
If you don’t have experience with cadcam you may want to go with an AG mill.
DOF also has a couple great scanners that you can fit any articulator in, this is critical.

I hope you have a good relationship with the owner or some chops to make a smooth transition because there are growing pains and it can make you look like a fool if you don’t get it right.. take it from a fool.

Jesse Zamarripa

Jesse Zamarripa

Reaction score
Hey there,

I soon will start working at a new lab. Currently the lab outsources all the C&B work, with good results. I am being brought in to change that.
Owner wan'ts to slowly transition from outsourcing to production in house. It would start most likely with just a scanner to having the whole system in house.
I already have some experience with this and I try to always be up to date on new systems, etc. I still want to make sure I do my homework.

So the question for everyone is. What would your "ideal" setup would look like if you could buy it in the near future. Right now, it would -only- be for milling Zirconia, PMMA, emax, maybe custom abutments. Not looking to mill metal discs or for big $100k+ milling machines. Also, it has to be a truly open system where I am not bound to the manufacturer strategies, materials, etc. I am sure that takes out several options such as AG, Sirona, etc.

So far I have thought of a setup like this:

Scanner: DOF UHD or Medit Scanner

CAD: Exocad, 3Shape? (I have experience with Exocad)

Mill: Versamill 5X400

Oven: ??? I've thought of BD Dental Duotron Pro?

Printer: Nexdent 5100

What would be the opinions on something like this?

DOF UHD, Exocad and Nextdent.... All great.... Thats all i have to say

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I also would vote for DOF, Exocad combo.

J

JamesR

Reaction score
Do you need any other information on the versamill to help with your decision making?

DavidW

DavidW

Reaction score
Thumbs up on the 5x400!
Axsys support is excellent!
But I would mill in wax and press Emax, much less headaches

DavidW

DavidW

Reaction score
Actually in most cases we encourage our dentist do use Emax zircad mult instead of lithium disilicate