New CAD/CAM System

O

omsk

Reaction score
Hey there,

I soon will start working at a new lab. Currently the lab outsources all the C&B work, with good results. I am being brought in to change that.
Owner wan'ts to slowly transition from outsourcing to production in house. It would start most likely with just a scanner to having the whole system in house.
I already have some experience with this and I try to always be up to date on new systems, etc. I still want to make sure I do my homework.

So the question for everyone is. What would your "ideal" setup would look like if you could buy it in the near future. Right now, it would -only- be for milling Zirconia, PMMA, emax, maybe custom abutments. Not looking to mill metal discs or for big $100k+ milling machines. Also, it has to be a truly open system where I am not bound to the manufacturer strategies, materials, etc. I am sure that takes out several options such as AG, Sirona, etc.

So far I have thought of a setup like this:

Scanner: DOF UHD or Medit Scanner

CAD: Exocad, 3Shape? (I have experience with Exocad)

Mill: Versamill 5X400

Oven: ??? I've thought of BD Dental Duotron Pro?

Printer: Nexdent 5100

What would be the opinions on something like this?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
go for it cant go wrong hope you have a bit experience either its a lot stuff to learn

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Both scanners you mentioned are Exocad based, which you can't go wrong with.
user name picked up on something I'd look into more, the sinter oven. I have no experience with the Duotron Pro, but a Mihm Vogt would get my vote, also.
The mill is a good choice.

user name

user name

Reaction score
"... with good results. I am being brought in to change that. "

That got a laugh out of me..

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I soon will start working at a new lab. Currently the lab outsources all the C&B work, with good results. I am being brought in to change that.
Owner wan'ts to slowly transition from outsourcing to production in house. It would start most likely with just a scanner to having the whole system in house.
I already have some experience with this and I try to always be up to date on new systems, etc. I still want to make sure I do my homework.

So the question for everyone is. What would your "ideal" setup would look like if you could buy it in the near future. Right now, it would -only- be for milling Zirconia, PMMA, emax, maybe custom abutments. Not looking to mill metal discs or for big $100k+ milling machines. Also, it has to be a truly open system where I am not bound to the manufacturer strategies, materials, etc. I am sure that takes out several options such as AG, Sirona, etc.

So far I have thought of a setup like this:

Scanner: DOF UHD or Medit Scanner

CAD: Exocad, 3Shape? (I have experience with Exocad)

Mill: Versamill 5X400

Oven: ??? I've thought of BD Dental Duotron Pro?

Printer: Nexdent 5100

What would be the opinions on something like this?
Get spare parts for evetything. See if you can get a deal on buying backup elements, spindles, chucks, etc if you do it when you buy the machine it goes with.

O

omsk

Reaction score
"... with good results. I am being brought in to change that. "

That got a laugh out of me..

That definitely took me a while to see what you meant Hahaha . That was just me editing the post multiple times without realizing it could mean something else.

O

omsk

Reaction score
Thanks will definitely also look into Mihm furnaces.

O

omsk

Reaction score
Get spare parts for evetything. See if you can get a deal on buying backup elements, spindles, chucks, etc if you do it when you buy the machine it goes with.

That's a great idea. Never would have thought of that. Will definitely look that we get spares as well.

O

omsk

Reaction score
As far as milling machines, is there anything else out there worth looking at? Scanners?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
As far as milling machines, is there anything else out there worth looking at? Scanners?
Do not forget to put proper thought into the extra air requirements your mill will have. Correct CFM above desired pressure, line dryers and chillers etc. Most lab air systems are *not* anywhere close to plug-er-up-we're-ready-just-need-another-hose.

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
Nice thing about the Mihm...if an element goes out, you can replace just that one. Things typically dont break till after 4 o'clock on Fridays.

Are you sure about that?

Last time I had to replace an element I had to replace all 6 or 4 at the same time depending on the size of oven you have

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
With Mosi2 elements you don't have to replace them all, if you just need to replace one, but with the SiC ones you do have to replace them all as they run in parallel, or something like that.

edit: about a month ago I had to replace 2 of the 4 Mosi2 elements in my S1 1600, and am hoping the get another 6 months plus out of the other 2 that still looked good.

Last edited:
L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
With Mosi2 elements you don't have to replace them all, if you just need to replace one, but with the SiC ones you do have to replace them all as they run in parallel, or something like that.

edit: about a month ago I had to replace 2 of the 4 Mosi2 elements in my S1 1600, and am hoping the get another 6 months plus out of the other 2 that still looked good.

How did you figure out which ones were bad? Do you visually inspect for breakage?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Turn it off. Unplug it. Check resistance.

Seriously...unplug it.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
How did you figure out which ones were bad? Do you visually inspect for breakage?

Yep, visual inspection. For me, the oven gave me an error code. Support told me to do a visual inspection at the top, as the elements inside the muffle looked good.
The one on the left had cracking of the coating (and had tarnishing),causing poor electrical contact. Once I got the strap off, the coating just crumbled. The one on the right looks good.

They suggested using new straps when replacing the elements, which was a no brainer as they were pretty cheap.
Thank you, Ivoclar support :)

IMG_1673.JPG

Last edited: