Nesting

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the most crowns out of a block. I was wondering do you guys start in the middle and work your way out , from the sides to the middle, right to left ? Does it make any difference ?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I personally start from the left side of the Disk since i have a Mini and it is to open end of the holder i need that side to be the cut first. First unit goes on the far left middle, then i add along the edge in batched of 4 to 5 units at a time. I work my way around back and forth towards the right. I average 19 units per disk in ZR like so. Also bridge may act like they take up more space but they don't since 3 units are together the overlap is less in a 3 unit birdge then 3 units individually next to each other. I got 24 units out of a 18mm disk in only 4 bridges.

Just overlap and learn your boundaries.

Screenshot.jpg 24.JPG

The most i got out of a zr disk in single was like 24 units. Just apply the same o wax, small groups cut them out then overlap and repeat.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Thanks a ton. You just saved me bunches of cash. I've only been getting about 16-17 per puck. I never thought about 3 connectors on half the crown. I always tried to do it tri-pod style. Just printed the picture for reference. Again Thanks.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks a ton. You just saved me bunches of cash. I've only been getting about 16-17 per puck. I never thought about 3 connectors on half the crown. I always tried to do it tri-pod style. Just printed the picture for reference. Again Thanks.

Like Sevan with the Mini's C clamp, I start from the outside edge and walk the units back. Also, like you, I was doing a tripod but leaving a ledge of zirconia or wax to the front and back (but not the edges) as I was having esp. with zircona units, dropping out during a mill.

Maybe I'll try 3 towards the lingual when I can to get more out of my discs. As of now, I average 18 for zirconia. I had one zi disc that I got 20 out of, but it sounds like I can maybe get that extra unit or two if I sprue the way Sevan does.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Squeeze that stone 'til it screams!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Try 1 or 2 units out this way and see the results, I tried this technique on some 3-D on my VHF mill and my anatomy was not clean but when I triangulated the sprues It worked perfectly fine. It could be the way the strategy is written, but give it a shot and see what happens just ma me sure the sprues are 2mm or latger.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Like Sevan with the Mini's C clamp, I start from the outside edge and walk the units back. Also, like you, I was doing a tripod but leaving a ledge of zirconia or wax to the front and back (but not the edges) as I was having esp. with zircona units, dropping out during a mill.

Maybe I'll try 3 towards the lingual when I can to get more out of my discs. As of now, I average 18 for zirconia. I had one zi disc that I got 20 out of, but it sounds like I can maybe get that extra unit or two if I sprue the way Sevan does.
Each Cam will cut differently when sprues On the lingual like I do. I use DS Cam and also VHF Kim works well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i start from the outside edge and even nest those first few partially "outside" the puck. not only am i getting 24+ units per puck but the life of my tools is longer because there are times its "milling" nothing but air outside of the puck or where the previous mill left a cavity. ;)

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Nice. I dont have the option to do that.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
zirconia is brittle, which means you need to balance the amount of force applied to the unit, or you get breaks. tripod style is mathematically the best thing you can do for zirconia. when you get into material that has tension rather than brittle aspects, you can ease up on the spruing. but generally yes, overlap your boundaries like sevan showed, and you should regularly get upwards of 20 per puck.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
i start from the outside edge and even nest those first few partially "outside" the puck. not only am i getting 24+ units per puck but the life of my tools is longer because there are times its "milling" nothing but air outside of the puck or where the previous mill left a cavity. ;)

You are talking about 24+ units in being wax patterns, correct? I do get at least 20 even in my less the totally efficient way of spruing, but I can do better with my zirconia, hopefully to get 20 routinely?

What are you getting with your zirconia discs, how many units per disc on average?

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
I start from the "top" or side of the puck and work my way down. I overlap and sprue units to each other so there's very little waste.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You are talking about 24+ units in being wax patterns, correct? I do get at least 20 even in my less the totally efficient way of spruing, but I can do better with my zirconia, hopefully to get 20 routinely?

What are you getting with your zirconia discs, how many units per disc on average?
20+ in zirconia. wax i get FAR more units per puck!!! can provide images if you would like.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
20+ in zirconia. wax i get FAR more units per puck!!! can provide images if you would like.

lol...no, no, I believe you :D
My goodness, do I need to get better at nesting. This has been an eye opener of a thread for me :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
My goodness, do I need to get better at nesting. This has been an eye opener of a thread for me :)
i think it has to do with how many units youre nesting at once, and what type of puck holder you have as well. i will post some images

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
here is a puck i finished up yesterday. 12mm thick. 28 units of zirc milled
c3d781bae202f63f2add3c2b1b55a12d.jpg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
here's a puck of wax i am still milling from. 30 units milled already.
56f151a91dd39393f37ba1b8802c1c07.jpg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
its hard to see without the actual units in place, but you can kind of see that i start by milling the first few with the tool path half outside of the puck. as CHL said, i use a tripod method of attaching supports. then i overlap from the next layer as i nest the next batch of 4-6 units

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks sidebob for the visual aide and follow up post, I appreciate it :)