Nesting options for Exocad, 3Shape, and Dental Wings

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
With the advent of the new Multilayer zirconia pucks becoming more popular, it would seem that the current Cad softwares would offer nesting options for these. I really like having control over how much incisal translucency will be in a crown design. I see ads from Exocad showing this option will be available in their new upgrades. Not sure about 3Shape.

I currently use Dental Wings and have the nesting option with the Emax, Lava Esthetic, and Katana UTML through Straumann. I am limited on shades I can access though.

I notice that Argen is coming out with a multilayer puck but I'm not sure how this is going to integrate with various softwares without them collaborating directly with the "big 3" Cad Programs. I send a lot of cases to Argen and would like to access their multilayer but I don't see it happening with DW and Straumann being married to each other.

Could someone chime in on what the latest is with the nesting capabilities of your CAD software?

COM-180516-1_SC_STATION_CAD_UI_1_1526473736216.png

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
3Shape a a bock nesting feature for cerec style blocks for like emax but this should be an option in the cam imho not the design. But i could see it aiding in placement in disk, but keep in mind not all multi layers are equal some are only gradient at the top 1/3 and some are gradient from mid block up, so having it in the design will render useless in some cases. Wieland cam has it set up for their multi zircad and if i'm not mistaken you can set up a custom gradient disk for other manufacturers.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
When I was using Katana, I just made notes of the first 3-5 units of what it looked like at certain mm levels for chroma and Inc and adjust up/down accordingly by the mm positioning graph at the bottom of that (Wieland CAM) window.

nesting3.PNG

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
We position and adjust the height in Sum3d, so it does not matter what CAD software the file comes from

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
We position and adjust the height in Sum3d, so it does not matter what CAD software the file comes from

That's fine if you have a milling machine and the CAM software. But for all the techs that outsource their work to milling centers, this would be a nice option to have available in their CAD software. I'm thinking some of the milling centers might start offering a "plug-in" software for this very purpose.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That's fine if you have a milling machine and the CAM software. But for all the techs that outsource their work to milling centers, this would be a nice option to have available in their CAD software. I'm thinking some of the milling centers might start offering a "plug-in" software for this very purpose.

Agree with you, as I didn't click (in my above response) to the last sentence of your initial post, to be able to orientate it in the CAD software.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Sure its all done in cam software.

I think you are giving to much thought to how much the puck actually varies in color. In my opinion it's not that drastic of a change.

Most of the translucency is adding with stain or porcelain. That why all these companies are coming out with new staining systems.

I don't think a milling center is going to mill your crown out of a 20mm puck just so you can get more translucency or more of gingival color.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I don't think a milling center is going to mill your crown out of a 20mm puck just so you can get more translucency or more of gingival color.

Straumann does.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Maybe @greeny can chime in on this subject...
why would he? he's with Hyperdent, not a CAD company but a CAM company.

who you should be talking to is someone like Jensen, for all their work with zirconia you'd wonder what they have done in their brand of CADCAM to make this easier to visualize for newcomers and new zirconias.

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
Nesting and multi-layer visualization would be relevant to CAM software more than CAD, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
true, nesting is really only relevant to CAM, but the point made earlier probably sums it up best - people who outsource crowns to places like argen will need a tool to show the abilities of the mills to account for multi layer shades accurately. you can then include a screenshot, please place in this position.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Nesting and multi-layer visualization would be relevant to CAM software more than CAD, in my opinion.
Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Sure it’s relevant to CAM, but as an outsourcer, it would be also very beneficial to me if I could do this on my end. The only way I can relay information about translucency is send a photo to the milling center. That’s a hassle for both of us and probably wouldn’t work with a large milling center. I like having control over this aspect

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
That's nice of them.

If you want control then you need to have a mill.