Nesbit/Versacryl

C

CShof

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I've been making dentures for over 10 years but I had to google nesbit. From what I gather its a unilateral partial made from purely flexible acrylic so when the patients swallows this partial it won't do too much damage, correct?

I don't have valplast or flexite but I do have self cure versacryl. Anyone want to recommended a hardner to softner monomer ratio for this type of appliance?

On a side note, unilateral partials made with metal clasps are illegal? I read it on the internet so it must be true. But I remember making them fairly often at my old lab...hmm.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Interesting, didn't know those with metal clasp were illegal. We used to make them in cast metal. Times change I guess. Sorry I couldn't help with the other concerns.

C

CShof

Reaction score
Oh no, I'm not saying they are illegal. I just read that online and was hoping someone on here could set the record straight.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Oh no, I'm not saying they are illegal. I just read that online and was hoping someone on here could set the record straight.

I don't believe they are illegal but a lot of docs think they should be.

Nesbit = unilateral = spider partial = chicken choker = crib partial. Doesn't matter what it's made of.

I always thought the size of the Valplast nesbit would lessen the chance of choking and the design had much less fishhook potential than the metal ones.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
They are not illegal. However, if you have an account that insists you make them for them, get a waiver of liability in writing. There is a risk of aspiration, and when that happens, some have had to be surgically removed.
As long as the patient has been fully informed...

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
All good info, the sad thing is yes this appliance is a hazard, but when these are prescribed its more about the financial arrangements than the safety factor.

I have made a bunch of these in the years prior to valplast and since that time we have gone exclusively to using Valplast.

We have a disclaimer on every invoice stating the choking hazard has been discussed and that the dentist accepts all responsibility. Fortunately we have never had an incident to check the validity of our disclaimer.

C

CShof

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Next question, compared to say just a regular old 1 or 2 tooth acrylic partial/flipper, what do you normally charge for these? Half? 3/4?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Next question, compared to say just a regular old 1 or 2 tooth acrylic partial/flipper, what do you normally charge for these? Half? 3/4?

I wouldn't charge less than a TRP, the labor is at least comparative. I have a flat rate for RPD labor (setup, process, etc.). Frames are extra, teeth are extra, clasps are extra.
Considering that, I wouldn't price down, as the real market for these is the patient unwilling/able to afford a three unit bridge or implant, so shoot for less than those fees.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Do practicioners charge less for these prostheses?